Gransnet forums

Health

Knee replacement

(32 Posts)
Parky Tue 25-May-21 15:15:39

The orthopaedic consultant says I need a total knee replacement. At the moment I'm finding things like getting out of a low car, descending more than 1 step without hanging on to a rail impossible. Also can no longer get in and out of a bath (don't worry do have a shower)

My question is will I be able to do these things after a TKR? For information I'm 75 yr old woman

Charleygirl5 Tue 25-May-21 15:38:12

I have had both knees replaced at different times and life is so much easier. I have other problems so I cannot get in and out of a bath.

You will find life just so much easier. I still have problems getting in and out of a car but it is manageable.

Do not put off the surgery- it could make it more difficult to operate if you leave it too long.

I no longer have knee pain when in bed at night which is a bonus. Good luck.

Aveline Tue 25-May-21 17:11:58

I second Charley girl. My knees are the least of my worries these days. We replaced the bath with a shower after my first TKR and have never regretted it. If you need a knee replacement then get your name down for one. They don't get better on their own!

Parky Tue 25-May-21 20:07:13

Thank you for your replies. Am I right in thinking the pain will get better but not the mobility?

Aveline Tue 25-May-21 21:38:10

Both much better in my case. It takes a while though

Charleygirl5 Tue 25-May-21 22:04:50

Aveline and I are in total agreement.

Charleygirl5 Wed 26-May-21 14:46:59

Parky you have to think about how you will cope at home post-op. You will have either a frame or crutches so you will find it difficult cooking and transferring eg a plate from the microwave to the cooker where something else is cooking.

I bought a selection of microwavable food which I froze and I was given a very sturdy trolley that had plenty of space for food but more importantly, I used it also as a frame to take my food or a coffee from the kitchen to the living room. I also live on my own.

Parky Wed 26-May-21 18:45:02

Thank you for advice. Will tell the consultant to add me to his list. Heavens knows how long it is

Charleygirl5 Wed 26-May-21 19:01:37

Parky you could always say you would accept a cancellation but you would have to be organised at home.

Nonogran Wed 26-May-21 20:46:51

I had my knee joint very successfully replaced 11 years ago. It worked a treat but you must do the post operative exercises! It's not fair to get it done and not follow through with the sometimes painful exercises? You will reap the benefit big time. In my experience, it took a year or so to fully recover but in my world, at the time, it was mind over matter & I just got on with it. Feel the pain & do it anyway! Good luck & I wish you a speedy recovery.

Deedaa Wed 26-May-21 20:56:25

I had both knees replaced 15 years ago (I'm 75 now) I agree with Nonogran you must persevere with the excercises it makes all the difference. The only thing I really have difficulty with is getting up off the floor but that is partly down to my frozen shoulder which means I can't pull myself up. We were taught how to get up and down stairs before we were allowed home and occupational therapy provided any aids we needed at home.

Aveline Wed 26-May-21 21:07:45

I've had two knee replacements. The first one I did the exercises and ended up with inflammation leading to adhesions and I needed manipulation under anaesthetic to get the joint to bend at all. Next time I refused physio, iced and elevated and walked about regularly. I took over my own rehab and all went well. My surgeon agreed with me. NICE guidance research studies found no difference in outcome between those who did physio exercises and those who didn't. Don't be bullied after the op. Remember, you can't bend a hosepipe full of water so how can you expect to bend a post operatively swollen knee.
Check the Bonesmart website for first person stories and practical advice.

Charleygirl5 Wed 26-May-21 22:25:54

Yet again I agree with Aveline for various reasons I did not do 95% of the exercises either time postoperatively and my knees are fine. My knees were horrendously swollen post-op and I spent a lot of time elevating the leg to reduce the swelling.
Good luck.

Yiayia4 Thu 27-May-21 09:27:58

I had my right knee replaced 7 years ago it was so good to get rid of the pain.Well worth having done.

henetha Thu 27-May-21 09:55:23

I've had both knees replaced with great success. The second one was done when I was 78 and I can do almost anything now, -except get out of the bath. But that's not just down to my knees.
Good luck if you decide to go ahead.

annsixty Thu 27-May-21 10:13:26

Another oldie here.
I was 79 when I had my TKR with great success and 83 when I had my hip replaced , again, total success.
I was walking the length of the corridor within 36 hours and home less than 48 hours after the op.
Just get it done as soon as it can be, may be a wait now though.
I doubt you will regret it.

Barmeyoldbat Thu 27-May-21 10:56:33

I had one knee replaced about 4 years ago and I can do everything, even yoga, In fact I cycled 8 miles 7 weeks after having it done, its the best thing I have ever had done.

Parky Fri 28-May-21 09:05:36

Some really inspirational comments in particular Nonogran and Deeda I will work hard at my exercises if and when I have op. I'm lucky my husband will be able to help. Here's hoping I don't experience avveline's problems. Feeling much happier after reading your success stories.

Aveline Fri 28-May-21 09:18:43

Take it veeeeery easy with the exercising!!
Also be aware that others will tell you how their friend or neighbour were back dancing after two weeks and similar stories. As previously stated check out the Bonesmart website for info and updates from people as they recover. It's a lifesaver and I met lots of nice people (virtually) on it.

Parky Fri 04-Jun-21 17:40:41

Anyone had knee replacement with spinal block I stead of GA? Thought horrifies me but surgeon recommends

Aveline Fri 04-Jun-21 17:44:31

I had that both times. Was great. The sedative sent me off into a lovely sleep and when I woke up it was all over. Really nothing to fear.

Parky Fri 04-Jun-21 17:50:02

Just the thought of the needle in the spine, must hurt like hell. Terrified of the outcome too, had a look at bonesmart site, seems to be a horror story of American surgery.

Aveline Fri 04-Jun-21 17:51:51

Seriously it wasn't a problem at all. I'm hoping for the same at my forthcoming hip replacement

gillgran Fri 04-Jun-21 17:55:20

I had both knees done, TKRs 10 & 11 years ago, when I was 64 & 65.
The first with a full GA, the second with a spinal epidural.
I was advised to have the SE, only on the morning of my op, (if I had thought about it, I would have said "no-way!").
May have been a fluke, but my recovery was much quicker & better the second time around.

I have osteoarthritis, but my knees are almost pain free & I'm pleased I had those ops.,
( the rest of me is creaky!)

Good Luck.

annodomini Fri 04-Jun-21 18:58:22

I had the spinal anaesthetic for my hip replacement. It doesn't 'hurt like hell'! They give a local anaesthetic before the spinal goes in. You also have a sedative which didn't put me completely to sleep but I couldn't feel a thing. What's more, because I didn't have a general anaesthetic I didn't spend the next 24 hours being as sick as a dog. The main regret I have is that I couldn't have a spinal anaesthetic when I had my shoulder replaced! However, the kind anaesthetist gave me a 24 hour nerve block which meant I had little or no post operative pain.