Gransnet forums

Health

COVID-19 etiquette and good manners after 19 July 2021

(186 Posts)
ElderlyPerson Sun 04-Jul-21 12:25:45

news.sky.com/story/covid-19-face-masks-will-be-a-personal-choice-under-much-more-permissive-regime-of-measures-12348408

news.sky.com/story/covid-19-doctors-call-for-targeted-coronavirus-prevention-measures-to-stay-after-19-july-12347670

These two points of view do not seem to gel together!

So, what to do?

Is there needed a general public consensus on COVID-19 etiquette and good manners after 19 July 2021?

For example, if someone chooses to go to a nightclub where there may not be restrictions, that is one thing, it is not necessary for everybody to go to a nightclub.

Yet everybody needs to eat, so it seems to me that people who might behave COVID-19wise in one way in a nightclub might lbe entirely happy to behave in a different way COVID-19wise in a supermarket, out of consideration for other people.

It is like people going round in shorts in a city, but gentlemen wear trousers and ladies wear a skirt if going into a church or a cathedral.

Another example, wearing swimwear. Alright on a beach or at a swimming bath, but people (usually) do not go shopping in Tesco in swimwear. It is just how people behave. It may possibly not be illegal, (I don't actually know), but it is just not done.

Years ago, 1950s, 1960s, some people would go round shops smoking, even in places like cake shops.

Gradually it got that people did not do it.

The government's approach to COVID-19 seems to be heading towards the 1950s widespread attitude to smoking of people having to put up with it because of a so-called 'right to smoke'. Some people even disregarded the NO SMOKING signs in some railway compartments, though many smokers respected that, some grudgingly.

Is the policy that the governmentv seems to be heading for having a 'right to covidise anywhere' akin to a so-called 'right to smoke anywhere except in church'.

However, a week is a long time in politics and so what is announced nearer 19 July 2021 may not be what is being telegraphed by the government at present. But it might be.

So do we need the public to adopt some sort of COVID-19 etiquette and good manners that by courtesy people choose to restrict themselves in ways that go beyond the very lax legal restrictions?

If so, how should that come about? Put out by the British Medical Association?

Maybe the BMA needs to do that if the government is unwilling to do so.

This thread is to enquire how people here feel about there being such a guide to COVID-19 etiquette and good manners after 19 July 2021.

tanith Sun 04-Jul-21 12:28:28

I think I will continue wearing a mask in shops for now. I choose not to go on public transport but if I did I would wear a mask there.

JaneJudge Sun 04-Jul-21 12:31:32

I went to our nearest town market yesterday and no one was wearing masks or social distancing. It's very difficult to monitor other people's behaviour imo. Even standing at a crossing to cross the road, people stand all around you.

Lin52 Sun 04-Jul-21 12:40:04

For me a mask for shops, not outside, unless it is very busy . As I do now in fact. Must admit to finding it unnerving to have someone not two metre away in a restaurant, of course when sat down can take mask off. One would hope that there are not too many irresponsible folk around, but then it only takes one. Worry for my grandchildren, not all of an age to have vaccine, and research showing the unvaccinated are the way variants emerge.

JaneJudge Sun 04-Jul-21 12:43:51

I don't understand why you wouldn't wear a mask and wouldn't social distance from strangers outside. Surely there is still a risk?

That said, I let a waif into my house yesterday who had broken down outside my house (it is quite remote) to use the toilet and made her a drink and I don't suppose that is advised either

maddyone Sun 04-Jul-21 12:45:03

I don’t use public transport very often, but if I do, I will wear a mask.

MerylStreep Sun 04-Jul-21 12:46:27

The only time I will ever be wearing one again is when having my B12 injections. What other people decide to do is their business.

Whiff Sun 04-Jul-21 12:52:49

I will continue to wear a mask on the bus and in shops. Plus keep my distance and of course hand washing.

Before Covid first thing I did when I got home was to wash my hands before even taking my shoes off. You never knew if people washed their hands after going to the loo.

Mollygo Sun 04-Jul-21 12:53:15

I’ll wear a mask where I want to, but I don’t expect mask wearing to be widespread. As MerylStreep says, “What other people decide to do is their business.”
I’ll be interested to see what all the lanyard wearers will be doing, and what they’ll expect others to do.

MerylStreep Sun 04-Jul-21 12:57:58

Mollygo
As we know most of the lanyard wearers have no health problems to exempt them.
They will dump them and probably respect what others decide to do.

TerriBull Sun 04-Jul-21 13:07:55

I think I may continue to wear a mask in supermarkets, particularly if it happens to be busy. If I feel I'm fairly spaced out from others, say in garden centres or stores that aren't particularly busy I won't wear a mask. If I were to use public transport, I haven't for ages, I would definitely wear one.

Lin52 Sun 04-Jul-21 14:19:57

Whiff

I will continue to wear a mask on the bus and in shops. Plus keep my distance and of course hand washing.

Before Covid first thing I did when I got home was to wash my hands before even taking my shoes off. You never knew if people washed their hands after going to the loo.

Must admit, I always slip off my shoes, before washing my hands. You never know what you’ve picked up on the soles of those shoes. Mind boggles.

rosie1959 Sun 04-Jul-21 14:29:26

I am in Jersey Channel Isles masks are no longer worn here apart from public transport. Has been easy to make the adjustment as you now look out of place wearing one

Jaxjacky Sun 04-Jul-21 15:18:33

I doubt if an etiquette guide will be published, however as it’s rumoured to be down to personal choice there will be a range of that. I think it may remain advisable on public transport and in medical establishments.

varian Sun 04-Jul-21 15:27:37

rosie1959

I am in Jersey Channel Isles masks are no longer worn here apart from public transport. Has been easy to make the adjustment as you now look out of place wearing one

When we were in Jersey recently masks were compulsory in shops and in the public areas of hotels and in bars and restaurants except when seated.

Have the rules suddenly changed?

DiscoDancer1975 Sun 04-Jul-21 15:34:29

I think rules will just change to advice. We want to be as ‘ normal’ as possible, but by being careful. I understand ‘ being careful’, will be interpreted differently by different people.
It comes down to acceptable risk, and non acceptable risk for us. I can see us being pretty much the same to be honest, with perhaps the odd meal out. Not much different to how we were before.

AGAA4 Sun 04-Jul-21 15:38:44

I will continue to wear a mask in shops and on public transport to guard against any virus. My personal choice but don't expect others to do the same when restrictions are lifted.

Oopsadaisy1 Sun 04-Jul-21 15:49:10

I’ll continue to wear a mask in shops and taxis ( no public transport available locally) we don’t go to restaurants very often and our (almost) local pub has pods under cover so that you can eat away from others, I hope these will stay for a while, especially as they have heating for the Winter, otherwise we will get take aways and eat at home.
Our local market town doesn’t get too busy but if it does then I’ll wear a mask outside as well. I’ve been too ill lately to ignore the risks of someone coughing or sneezing over me, as has happened pre Covid. I’ll carry on hand washing etc. as well.
What others do is entirely up to them.

varian Sun 04-Jul-21 15:55:21

We will certainly continue to wear masks in shops and in crowded areas even out of doors.

Having been double jabbed, the risk of our catching the virus is low, but it is not zero.

Wearing a mask is no problem for us but could prevent us passing on an infection to others.

Ilovecheese Sun 04-Jul-21 16:01:02

That is what I understood varian masks are not for our own protection but to protect others.

GillT57 Sun 04-Jul-21 16:01:07

I shall probably continue to wear my mask, as I do now, in busy shops, I don't wear it when walking about outside anyway. hand sanitiser is a good thing and I would like to see that stay in shops, putting your hands where others have put theirs after sneezing or not washing hands after being to the loo has always repulsed me! I just hope that we are all left to do as we see fit, I shall not be remonstrating with anyone not wearing a mask, and hope that the same courtesy is afforded me by the more vociferous anti-maskers.

rosie1959 Sun 04-Jul-21 16:25:06

varian Jersey changed their mask rules 14th June
You also do not have to isolate if you have contract with a positive case just test

ElderlyPerson Sun 04-Jul-21 17:09:34

I have no intention of going out unless I have to go to the dentist or hospital.

There was a discussion on Sky News on Friday and it appears that the COVID-19 vaccines do not work properly on people who have blood cancer. People are campaigning for the government to send a letter about this to everybody registered as having blood cancer or being tested for blood cancer so that they don't get a false sense of security.

I am wondering if social distance delivery options will remain or whether some couriers will require a physical signature again or will the social distance options remain in place.

For example,

www.dpd.co.uk/content/how-can-we-help/parcel-delivery-during-covid-19.jsp

It all looks rather scary if one does not want to open the door while the driver is there, but if one clicks on the + signs there is a way round it, namely put a signed note on the front door authorising leaving it without the door being opened and the driver leaves the parcel and photographs both the note and the parcel.

I did the signed note option for a DPD delivery recently and it worked fine. I added a bit asking the driver to knock after delivering and he did that too. I also dated the note after the signature. I got the parcel in using gloves and I quarantined the parcel for a week, just in case, and indeed I wore gloves when I gently dropped my purchase out of its plastic packaging onto a cushion, and the handwashing too at each stage. I know, I know, possibly overdoing it but as I have been doing that sort of thing since March 2020 and have as far as I know not caught it thus far, nor indeed flu, how and when does one get off the precautions rollercoaster if one does not need to do so?

M0nica Mon 05-Jul-21 07:43:24

If you have had both your jabs, the statistical probability of catching or passing on the disease is very, very low indeed.

My DH is now unable to wear a mask anyway, following surgery over Christmas that has left him with a damaged lung.

I will, of course, wear a mask if someone requests it, but otherwise not.

love0c Mon 05-Jul-21 07:48:35

I am looking forward to not having to wear mine. I like choice. If and when I travel on a plane then I may wear one. When travelling home in February 2020 from the canaries a mask would have been welcome. I was sat next to a drunk who stunk of booze and cigs! he kept breathing in my face! Horrible ha ha.