Gransnet forums

Health

Flu Jab just booked !

(50 Posts)
NanKate Wed 07-Jul-21 17:18:23

Just booked our flu jabs online at Boots for September 17. You may want to get yours sorted.

sodapop Sun 10-Jul-22 13:06:01

I've just had the tetanus/polio/diphtheria vaccine on the advice of my doctor. Only have monkeypox to go and I'll be vaccinated against most things now.

dustyangel Sun 10-Jul-22 11:09:04

I once went down with Flu on October 4th. The day before I was due to have it on the 5th.

If I had already had it, I might have become one of the people who blames the jab for all the other viruses that winter can bring.

growstuff Sun 10-Jul-22 11:03:41

I've booked mine with the local pharmacy too. I could wait to be invited by the GP, but they're usually not very flexible about when they're available and I dislike having to queue up like a production line.

henetha Sun 10-Jul-22 10:57:22

Well, yes, Calendargirl, that is a good idea. There are huge queues at the surgery on two or three Saturdays in September.
It's chaos! So I might use Boots this year.

Calendargirl Sun 10-Jul-22 10:54:32

henetha

I usually phone my surgery in August to make an appointment for the flu jab. Should I do it earlier this year?

Our surgery is never very prompt with flu jabs, whereas Boots are quicker to let you book.

Plus if the pharmacies did more of them, it would leave GP surgeries able to focus on more urgent medical issues.

But it’s all down to getting paid of course.

Shinamae Sun 10-Jul-22 10:34:51

Obviously not the above! Meant to say I have a few months ago

Shinamae Sun 10-Jul-22 10:34:05

Hand my weeks ago

henetha Sun 10-Jul-22 10:33:41

I usually phone my surgery in August to make an appointment for the flu jab. Should I do it earlier this year?

Calendargirl Sun 10-Jul-22 10:29:35

Have booked this year’s flu jab with Boots, for September.

That’s 2022, by the way.

Calendargirl Fri 09-Jul-21 07:37:12

They all want to give us our flu jabs as they get paid for doing it.

Looking at it another way, if more people went to pharmacies such as Boots to have their flu jabs, it would free up more surgery time for patient appointments.

I know that it is mainly the nurses who give flu jabs, not the GP’s, well, it is at our surgery.

Legs55 Thu 08-Jul-21 23:36:43

I get a text from my GP Surgery inviting me to ring & book mine, we have been asked to wait to be contacted this year.

You qualify for a free Flu jab (through GP not sure about anywhere else) if you have certain conditions such as Diabetes/Epilepsy etc under 65. Different vaccine was used for under 65s & over 65s last year. I am 65 & been having mine for several years. Not sure when Covid one is going to be done but I won't go anywhere else for my Flu jab, my GP Surgery is very efficient

Happysexagenarian Thu 08-Jul-21 22:02:00

We usually get a phone call inviting us to book our jabs in October/November. Last year our local Day Lewis Pharmacy was practically dragging people in off the street to be vaccinated!

V3ra Thu 08-Jul-21 16:53:01

I worked as a GP receptionist in the 70s when I think the flu jab was a fairly new thing. Some of my colleagues were unsure whether to have it or not.
The GP partner who did our wages said if we didn't have it, then took any time off with flu, we wouldn't be paid!

Jodieb Thu 08-Jul-21 16:19:32

Yes! They push it because they get paid. Last year they ordered too much so kept pushing! How to we know if there is not some reaction to the covid jab with the flu jab?
I've never had the flu jab, 69 now but if I do this time, I will wait awhile. People had a wasted jab last year as we were all isolating.

NanKate Thu 08-Jul-21 15:58:03

Boots said in their email to me that the flu jab I have booked must be at least 7 days away from any booster Covid jab.

I sadly feel little allegiance to my Doctor’s surgery when they would not examine me after 3+ weeks of intense stomach pain, knowing I had bowel cancer in my close family. I had to go private. They even sealed up the letter box so no one could deliver a letter. So ‘stuff em’ if you will excuse the language.

SuzieT Thu 08-Jul-21 14:25:46

Our over 50 flu jab was only offered in March this year, but had already been to Boots in October and paid to get it done, so thanks for the heads up NanKate, I've just booked in for late September.

annodomini Thu 08-Jul-21 14:13:16

My invitation will come from our GP practice. Last year I had the flu vax at the end of October, though it's usually a bit earlier. I'll welcome the Covid booster too.

Teacheranne Thu 08-Jul-21 14:05:07

Crenniemac

I used to be a lecturer in a University and Freshers Flu was a peril every year. Since I stopped working I can avoid the Flu but now have access to the flu jab owing to ill health.

But, I often think how many staff hours could be saved if employers paid for staff to get the flu jab

The headteacher at the school I taught in did pay for the teachers and staff to have the jab if we wanted - obviously because he anticipated a reduction in time off with flu!

dragonfly46 Thu 08-Jul-21 14:01:31

Boots get paid as well, that is why they are pushing it. Every time I pick up my prescription I am asked to book a flu jab. I prefer the GP to get the money.

cc Thu 08-Jul-21 13:58:34

We have just moved and have a very good new GP's practice. It would be a shame to have it done at Boots as the practice gets paid for vaccinations.

Sparklefizz Thu 08-Jul-21 13:35:22

I don't want to have both at the same time, so how can I manage this? I'm worried that if I say I just want one first (which would be Covid), I won't be contacted separately for the 'flu jab. I know doing the 2 separately will cause more work and admin, and I feel bad about that, but I don't think my body with my many health concerns is strong enough to cope with 2 jabs at the same time.

Dedeottie Thu 08-Jul-21 13:11:17

I was under the impression that we would be having flu jab at same time as Covid booster and that it would be over 70 s first then over 50s. Have I missed something? X

Daisend1 Thu 08-Jul-21 13:07:38

Maddyone
I get a text from my local surgery in October giving me dates I can chose from to get my flu vac.

Jilly2018 Thu 08-Jul-21 12:50:33

My GP routinely gives flu jabs to anyone who is considered vulnerable regardless of age.

Alioop Thu 08-Jul-21 12:29:54

My docs only contact the 50-60 year olds when they see what they have left at the end of the vaccination programme. I'll be in that queue.