Gransnet forums

Health

Dignitas

(31 Posts)
FarawayGran Tue 10-Aug-21 22:42:07

Has anyone known someone who has used Dignitas? Or who is considering using them?
I have a terminal illness, I don't know how long I have left and I am terrified of being alive, in pain for any length of time.
I am seriously considering Dignitas.
Your views will be appreciated

Caleo Wed 11-Aug-21 11:20:42

PS, Have you made an advance directive which is also called a living will?

It is quite a simple form to fill out. You keep a copy in your house to take to the hospital sister when you go there, another copy to your solicitor, and another copy to your GP.

V3ra Wed 11-Aug-21 11:39:05

FarawayGran I'm so sorry you feel terrified of what your illness might bring.
I hope you can find some good support and peace of mind x

choughdancer Wed 11-Aug-21 11:56:49

FarawayGran I too feel for you, and I fear for my own choices when that time comes.
It could be worth looking at this compassionindying.org.uk/ They are the sister charity of Dignity in Dying (which campaigns for the right to choose) and offers a lot of help, info, advice etc. on planning for the end of life. Wishing you many more years free of pain xxx

SueDonim Wed 11-Aug-21 15:20:32

Farawaygran I’ve no advice to offer but am sending thoughts to you. flowers

Dogsmakemesmile Wed 11-Aug-21 15:30:19

Thinking of you. I echo what others have said Have you been able to explore other sources of support eg hospice care? A district nurse may have options that you are unaware of. Have you friends and family around you or are you alone? There is obviously a groundswell of support and care for you here. Please keep posting. My best wishes to you.