Gransnet forums

Health

Fear of going down steps

(32 Posts)
Mazgg Sun 29-Aug-21 13:16:55

I fear going down stairs or steps, even steep slopes if there is no handrail. This now makes going to the cinema or theatre an ordeal. I used to hop on and off escalators going down but now can't do this. I haven't had a fall that brought this on though I have occasionally missed a step but not fallen. Can anyone suggest a coping strategy?

Redhead56 Mon 30-Aug-21 19:07:57

I have noted that webpage HollySox thanks.

Mazgg Wed 01-Sep-21 09:43:12

Thank you all for your helpful replies. I will do the exercises in the hope of improving my balance.

Shandy57 Wed 01-Sep-21 10:07:13

HolySox thanks for the exercise link. I wear leggings and can no longer easily stand on one leg to put them on, will start them today.

Nortsat Wed 01-Sep-21 11:45:49

Thank you HolySox, I too have saved the website and will do the exercises.

jaylucy Wed 01-Sep-21 11:55:19

Mazgg I also have a fear of walking down steps where there is no handrail after several falls.
I must be a nightmare to be following down steps when I have been to concerts and sports venues but I am afraid that people will just have to wait !
It's not something that has happened over the last few years after the last fall - I fainted and fell down my home stairs when I had the flu as a teenager.

teabagwoman Wed 01-Sep-21 12:15:28

I have Developmental Co-ordination Disorder so have always been wary about going down unfamiliar stairs. Now I’m partially sighted and have had to start using a white stick. I’ve been surprised how much more stable a walking stick makes me feel and agree with the poster who said there are compensations. Bus drivers are especially helpful.