Gransnet forums

Health

DH shuffling rather than walking - Dementia??

(26 Posts)
NannieKevie Tue 07-Sep-21 16:07:16

Over the last year my DH has gone from walking normally to shuffling everywhere. I first thought it was just him getting out of shape because of being in so much with lockdown, but I’ve just read an article about vascular dementia that says a change in walking, along with other things can be a sign.

Some of the other signs resonated too. Withdrawing from wanting to do things, asking the same question over and over, but not everything did and now I don’t know if I’m worrying over nothing or even worse, worrying because it’s something.

We’re both retired, we’ve been together for decades. I have no idea how to broach it. He gets cross anyway when I try to get him to do stuff as it is and he never used to be like this.

Other than saying to go to the GP which of course is the obvious thing, has anyone had any similar experiences and how did it play out?

Riverwalk Tue 07-Sep-21 16:14:44

Shuffling is a classic sign of Parkinson's disease - the other symptoms could be anything from just getting older, to the effects of Lockdown.

Esspee Tue 07-Sep-21 16:15:36

Experiences with the older generation yes, and my advice to you is to discuss your worries with his doctor and ask that he be invited in for a Well Man check up. It is important to get medical intervention early. I pushed for my mother to be given Aricept before it was approved. It stopped her getting worse so she had a good quality of life until the end. I am sure there is even better medication available now.

rosie1959 Tue 07-Sep-21 16:17:57

Yes OP watched my beautiful dad deteriorate with dementia and he ended up shuffling was heartbreaking to see He was fleet air arm in his younger years and never lost that sailors swagger until dementia hit
Please watch out for falls as this also became more prevalent
Dad also got cross which was so far removed from his normal affable nature he really was a people person but dementia changed this (never with me for some reason but only child and the apple of his eye)

NannieKevie Tue 07-Sep-21 16:33:24

I’d not thought of speaking to the doctor without him first. I’ll certainly give that a go, although an appointment is never easy. I think he’d be more likely to go if it wasn’t me asking him to do it.I’d not thought of Parkinson’s either.

I really don’t want it to be dementia.

aggie Tue 07-Sep-21 16:37:07

My poor OH started to shuffle, it was so irritating , now I’m sad to think how cross I was , it was the start of his Parkinson’s , none of the medicine helped him

welbeck Tue 07-Sep-21 16:41:17

don't challenge him or try to correct him; it's pointless and will only case tension.
try to get medical advice, but don't say what you fear to him.

NannieKevie Tue 07-Sep-21 16:43:33

aggie

My poor OH started to shuffle, it was so irritating , now I’m sad to think how cross I was , it was the start of his Parkinson’s , none of the medicine helped him

I’ve been getting irritated by it too. I don’t know why I’d not even thought it could be anything bad.

Madgran77 Tue 07-Sep-21 16:44:33

Could be dementia. Could be Parkinsons. Could be something else. I also think a Wellman check would be wise. Book a Wellwoman check for yourself and suggest a good idea for both of you?

Granniesunite Tue 07-Sep-21 16:47:06

Speak to your GP. Its a difficult first step but early intervention could result in helpful medication.
I wish you well.

Nannarose Tue 07-Sep-21 17:01:08

It could be a number of neurological conditions, definitely get a medical opnion.

Aveline Tue 07-Sep-21 17:01:24

Lewy body dementia has Parkinson like movement problems.
Good luck with the GP and onwards.

kittylester Tue 07-Sep-21 17:26:17

Definitely talk to the gp!!

BlueBelle Tue 07-Sep-21 17:58:21

Parkinson’s immediately comes to mind
My friend has recently been diagnosed and she was undiagnosed and misdiagnosed for at least 2 years the doctor originally told her her shaking hand was definitely not Parkinson (it shook differently the dr said) she was told the pains in her legs were arthritis and referred to physio who sent her exercises to do It was blatantly obviously through her walk her leg movement her tremors what it ‘could be’ But it was only when I told her to write down ALL her symptoms so it was seen as a whole that a consultant gave her some tablets that he said would only work if it was Parkinson’s within a week her walking was so much better and she is on them for life now She’s not cured of course but her life is a lot lot improved
So yes get him to a GP if possible

annsixty Tue 07-Sep-21 18:27:46

Unless you all have better GP surgeries than I have a GP will not discuss symptoms or call someone in for a “checkup” unless it comes from the patient themselves.
I battled long and hard when my H first started showing symptoms of Alzheimer’s but until I persuaded/cajoled him into being allowed to make an appointment it was stalemate.
As soon as a GP talked to him we were given a home visit from a Psychiatric consultant and got a firm diagnosis of “mixed dementia,.
And this was all before Covid.

Hetty58 Tue 07-Sep-21 18:35:17

NannieKevie, 'shuffling' could be a sign of so many things. My neighbour with diabetes and heart problems now walks that way. All you can do is note any new or unusual symptoms - and insist that he sees the doctor for a check up.

Oopsadaisy1 Tue 07-Sep-21 18:39:31

FIL started to shuffle in his late 80s, it was just old age, he died in his 90s, no Dementia or Parkinson’s, he had always been very fit and used to walk for miles, but once he was too old and infirm to go out the shuffling started.

NannieKevie Tue 07-Sep-21 20:44:16

Whatever it is, I need to get him to a doctor somehow. Our local service is a nightmare.
I’ve felt bloody awful since the penny dropped earlier today that this isn’t a temporary thing and maybe something that’s just going to get worse and worse.
It’s scary.

NannieKevie Tue 07-Sep-21 20:47:38

Oopsadaisy1

FIL started to shuffle in his late 80s, it was just old age, he died in his 90s, no Dementia or Parkinson’s, he had always been very fit and used to walk for miles, but once he was too old and infirm to go out the shuffling started.

We’re in our late 60s, so at least a decade off our 80s yet. Our friends of similar ages are all still active, as were we.

NannieKevie Tue 07-Sep-21 20:49:26

annsixty - that’s what I’m afraid of. I think it’s going to be a slog to get him to go.

ayse Tue 07-Sep-21 20:52:40

NannieKevie

Whatever it is, I need to get him to a doctor somehow. Our local service is a nightmare.
I’ve felt bloody awful since the penny dropped earlier today that this isn’t a temporary thing and maybe something that’s just going to get worse and worse.
It’s scary.

It’s certainly scary. My DH is short of breath and maybe suffering from Long Covid brain fog BUT he is grumpier than he’s ever been, lacks concentration and is walking very slowly. It wasn’t until the week before last that he nearly drove us under a bus. I’m concerned about this lack of concentration but have no idea how to talk to him. He just gets so cross so quickly.

I hope you manage to get him to the GP as that’s always the first step. Somehow the not knowing is so unsettling. At least plans could be made if some diagnosis is made.

Good luck

mumski Tue 07-Sep-21 20:54:11

NannieKevie, in my experience the not knowing is worst. When we got the diagnosis and knew what we were up against and full information we were then is a position to make decisions and find a way forward.

poshpaws Tue 07-Sep-21 20:55:40

I'd just like to ask, has he been on any new medications since not long before the shuffling began? One of the drugs I'd been on long term caused shuffling which drove my late husband crazy, but when I saw a neurologist it turned out that the drug mimiced Parkinson's symptoms and once I stopped it, things went back to normal. The only thing is, you're describing personality changes too, which does suggest something deeper.

Do you have E-Consult in England? We have it in Scotland and it's a great way to connect with your GP. Give it a Google.

Best Wishes, will be thinking of you and your husband.

Oopsadaisy1 Tue 07-Sep-21 22:30:40

Do you have an annual health review? We have just had ours,
( although last years was cancelled due to Covid) it might be an idea to suggest to your DHs Doctor that your husband needs to be seen.

NannieKevie Wed 08-Sep-21 07:50:47

No new medications poshpaws. We do have an app that we can allegedly use to make appointments, but there’s never any available when I go on it. Our local surgery is next to useless, but I don’t think we’re alone there!