Gransnet forums

Health

DH shuffling rather than walking - Dementia??

(27 Posts)
NannieKevie Tue 07-Sep-21 16:07:16

Over the last year my DH has gone from walking normally to shuffling everywhere. I first thought it was just him getting out of shape because of being in so much with lockdown, but I’ve just read an article about vascular dementia that says a change in walking, along with other things can be a sign.

Some of the other signs resonated too. Withdrawing from wanting to do things, asking the same question over and over, but not everything did and now I don’t know if I’m worrying over nothing or even worse, worrying because it’s something.

We’re both retired, we’ve been together for decades. I have no idea how to broach it. He gets cross anyway when I try to get him to do stuff as it is and he never used to be like this.

Other than saying to go to the GP which of course is the obvious thing, has anyone had any similar experiences and how did it play out?

Jaxjacky Wed 08-Sep-21 08:30:03

NannieKevie I can’t really add much more than others, I took my Mum to her GP having spoken to him first. He did a mini memory test and a referral. Not knowing is the worst, with a diagnosis of something, you can move forward, scary is the unknown, good luck.