Gransnet forums

Health

Broken sleep

(40 Posts)
Dorsetcupcake61 Tue 14-Sep-21 08:21:40

I'm nearly 60 and without fail wake up several times during night. I've tried everything from herbal teas,magnesium supplements,lavender etc. I never have a problem falling asleep,just staying that way!
Any suggestions?

nadateturbe Wed 15-Sep-21 13:10:45

Bigirl57

One of the side effects of statins is insomnia.

I didn't know that.

MaggsMcG Wed 15-Sep-21 13:23:56

I'm the same and have been for years. No problem falling asleep but wake up several times. Sometimes I can get to sleep again sometimes I struggle. I've tried all the various ways and nothing works. Luckily I'm retired so if I need to I can have a quick nap around 3 or 4pm that seems to help.

Grammajules Wed 15-Sep-21 13:47:15

Much the same as everyone here, usually sleeping about 4-5 hours and not unbroken, but I do find magnesium citrate tablets help to curb the over active mind that prevents me going back to sleep. I also suffer from hay fever/sinus problems and when I take an antihistamine, only when I have had several bad nights this helps too. I have the Paul Mackenna book too but not yet read it. Does anyone rate it?

Flakesdayout Wed 15-Sep-21 14:56:07

I do not sleep well. I usually fall asleep and half an hour later get up for a wee, although I have one before getting into bed. Then a hour later I get up again. So by now it is 12 midnight ish. Then I will go 2 hours and then 4. I think I am lucky if I only get up twice and manage to get a maximum 'run' of 4 and half hours. I have tried the breathing techniques and relaxation to aid sleep and my latest one is deep breathing in for the count of 4 and then hold for 7 and breathe out for 8. Another method is tense the body up and slowly relax all parts combined with deep breathing.
I think maybe this is my sleep pattern, frustrating as it is, and I try not to worry too much about it.

Applegran Wed 15-Sep-21 15:15:17

Advice I've seen from sleep experts is go to bed and get up at the same time every night (or close to the same time) - this seems to help our body clocks. Apparently if you sleep for longer on days off - for many people that would be Saturday and Sunday - you give yourself 'weekend jet lag'. I realise this is not a complete answer to the OP but hope it may be useful.

VioletSky Wed 15-Sep-21 15:23:04

Applegran that's really interesting. I thought I was using weekends to pay off a sleep overdraft!

Deedaa Wed 15-Sep-21 15:23:09

If I'm having trouble sleeping I take Nytol. It doesn't stop me waking up but I do seem to go back to sleep quicker.

queenofsaanich69 Wed 15-Sep-21 16:34:17

Maybe try changing your pillow ? I used to have the same problem and sometimes still do,but as I go to sleep I think of the same ( Nice) thing every night and now find I do that and mainly go to sleep each time I wake up in the night.My brother used to tell me to turn the pillow over to get another channel !

Fennel Wed 15-Sep-21 16:38:35

Men seem to sleep more soundly.
I have a theory that we women are programmed to wake eadily so that we can see to babies during the night.

Willow68 Wed 15-Sep-21 16:49:27

This is my problem, fall asleep easy, but wake up
In the night… I take magnesium at night and also sometimes take sleep aid which you can purchase from Tesco pharmacy, Tesco own brand, it works really well. I also listen to a audio book in the night if I can’t get back to sleep, and often drift off again as I Have night books that are not particularly good, just easy listening so I don’t have to concentrate to follow the story.

Dearknees1 Wed 15-Sep-21 17:15:00

I listen to music on my phone using earphones. Sooner or later that sends me back to sleep.

Caro57 Wed 15-Sep-21 17:18:28

I’ve just been reading about sweetbeeorganics.co.uk - they have magnesium cream for the soles of the feet and lower leg……….

Dorsetcupcake61 Wed 15-Sep-21 18:59:38

Thank you all for your useful tips and really helpful comments. ?.
I do wonder about sleep apnoea-apparently I do snore. I'm also trying to lose weight which may help.
I do find pillows very important-isnt it amazing how sometimes they feel perfect and other times feel like concrete?
Although its tempting I try not to lie in to long at weekends as feel as though I'm wasting the day. I try and content myself with getting up a few hours later than my work alarm!
I think one area I need to be wary of is that on a Friday/Saturday I will sometimes stay up very late as no work the next morning but I think that just adds to my sleep deficit.
One interesting treatment was an aromatherapy spray I bought for my legs when I was on a coach trip. It's meant to help circulation and smells lovely. During the hot weather I gave my lower legs with it and only once woke up and only for a minute. I've used it a few times with varied success.
I think it seems something that affects many people,certainly more so when hormonal changes hit! What the solution is goodness knows. Certainly what ever helps each person best but maybe most importantly is working around it and trying not to get over stressed about it.

Naninka Wed 15-Sep-21 22:49:57

Nettle capsules.