Gransnet forums

Health

Should I attend party one month before surgery

(100 Posts)
GramaJ Wed 15-Sep-21 17:27:50

I’ve got a date of for a right knee replacement and been told I will only have to isolate for 72 hours before the op. Obviously I will have to have a PCR test too.
My dilemma is, a month before this date, I’ve been invited to a birthday party to be held indoors and I’m imagining there will be quite a few people there. Am I daft to even consider going as I’ve waited 2 years for this op?
Mentally I’m sure it will do me the power of good, but not physically if I catch COVID.
What’s the general opinion please?

Baggs Fri 17-Sep-21 10:16:07

I hate parties anyway but "inside" doesn't actually mean much until you know what the ventilation is like. A well-ventilated place is an order of magnitude better than a stuffy hole.

That said, most places in Britain are badly ventilated.

timetogo2016 Fri 17-Sep-21 11:26:08

Me neither,health always comes first.

AlpineGranny Sat 18-Sep-21 10:35:49

Like the majority of people here I would not go. Its just not worth it - having waited 2 years. Best of luck with the surgery

redgran Sat 18-Sep-21 10:41:22

In the same situation myself at the moment, isn't it so frustrating. What about facetiming or zooming someone at the party, so you can say hello to some of the guests xx

maddyone Sat 18-Sep-21 10:43:53

I think if I was you, I’d probably give it miss this time.

Buffybee Sat 18-Sep-21 10:46:37

You have definitely made the right decision GramaJ, the party would probably have school age children there and as we know, this age group can carry the virus without showing any symptoms.
Keep healthy for your operation!

fraz1946 Sat 18-Sep-21 10:49:20

GO TO THE PARTY. Enjoy yourself you have a month before surgery. have a bit of fun.

Philippa111 Sat 18-Sep-21 10:51:29

I would not go. I am also waiting for a hip op in a couple of months time. I am being very cautious indeed. Firstly if I got Covid my body would/could be compromised and not in optimum health for the op. Also I may not get back to good health before the op and have to cancel. Getting an offer of surgery at this point in time is like gold dust and I wouldn't do anything to jeopardise that. A few hours of close contact with a group of people wouldn't even get any consideration in the knowledge that if I miss this opportunity I might have another year or so the wait. I don't use public transport, don't see more than a couple of people inside, still with open windows and doors, get online shopping etc. If I wasn't about to have the op I'd take a lot more risks. I am in Scotland and our numbers of infection are high. The NHS is in crisis...

kangaroo73 Sat 18-Sep-21 10:53:18

Even if you decide to go you’ll spend all night worrying especially if there’s a ‘cougher’ in the room so won’t enjoy it anyway. From a personal point of view I would definitely give it a miss.

Boolya Sat 18-Sep-21 10:53:40

I had surgery last week. I had to take precautions in the 2 weeks prior & then strictly isolate once I had done the PCR test 72 hours beforehand.
Hope the op goes well.

jaylucy Sat 18-Sep-21 10:55:08

If you are worried enough to ask the question of complete strangers, then you are already thinking that the answer is no.
I don't think that I would risk it if there is any doubt in your mind. You have already waited for long enough !

tarakate Sat 18-Sep-21 10:56:06

Are you double-jabbed, will others be? Weigh your keen desire to go against potentila threat and possibility of cancellation of op. I absolutely wouldn't take the risk - as it IS a risk. Do you have Zoom, or could someone teach you? Perhaps some kind people would keep you on Zoom at the party and you could chat to people from home in your party dress with a glass or wine or three and some M & S canapes? Hope the op goes swimmingly, best of luck to you whatever you decide.

SecondhandRose Sat 18-Sep-21 10:57:00

No. There’ll be plenty more parties. Don’t put your op at risk.

usuallyright Sat 18-Sep-21 11:01:54

Have you not seen or heard the news that, daily, somewhere up to or around 30.000 people are still having Covid 19 passed on to them, by the mindless ones, who do not care, either about themselves or others, and do not try to prevent passing it on.

Be both selfish and stay at home and also protect others by doing so

sandelf Sat 18-Sep-21 11:12:42

Prioritise your long term health. Don't go to this, so you CAN have your FREE and LIFE CHANGING operation.

Theoddbird Sat 18-Sep-21 11:15:21

I can only speak for myself... I would not risk it. I would be thinking how long it would be before I got another date for the surgery.

Daisend1 Sat 18-Sep-21 11:16:26

You are concerned or would not be asking.When in doubt, don't, is my policy.
Good luck with the op and be glad you are able to get it done.

monnydite Sat 18-Sep-21 11:19:14

Not to alarm everyone but please think about this!! Here are the stats (7 day average) for this time last year and this year on 15th September:
15/9/20 Deaths 10
". ". ". Hospitalised 906
". ". ". In ICU 100
15/9/21 Deaths 110
". ". ". Hospitalised 8266
". ". ". In ICU 1055
And the figures are going up every day!
Also, don't forget that this year 66.2% of the population have been double vaccinated!
Note: The above data is from the data repository for the 2019 Novel Coronavirus Visual Dashboard operated by the Johns Hopkins University Center for Systems Science and Engineering (JHU CSSE). Also, Supported by ESRI Living Atlas Team and the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Lab (JHU APL).

polnan Sat 18-Sep-21 11:24:10

I agree with most of the comments here, ie. I would not risk it.. op. too important for a few hours, .. even ventilation, seems to me, despite so much advice , many places are not doing it.. in fact when I attended a small group at our church, and asked for ventilation, I felt as though I was being scoffed at! so thanks for this everyone, encourages.

Saggi Sat 18-Sep-21 11:26:06

Of course don’t go. It’s one party!

SachaMac Sat 18-Sep-21 11:35:33

Personally I wouldn’t risk it, having said that, if you were unfortunate enough to pick up the virus you would still have time to isolate but you just don’t know how badly you would be affected. You want to be in top top health in readiness. I know lots of people in my area who have been double jabbed and have still picked Covid up, some have just had a slight cough & cold others have been quite unwell. If it’s a good friend they’ll understand and you could maybe meet up to celebrate after your op. Best of luck.

maturefloosy Sat 18-Sep-21 11:44:26

Is this a family member's birthday party or a friend.? Knowing who and how many are going would be the deciding factor for me. I had a hip operation 6 weeks ago and didn't mix with anyone including my family for the week before I was due to have my test and isolate for 72 hours. Good luck with the Op - you will feel great once its over and you are walking again!

sunnybean60 Sat 18-Sep-21 11:45:22

I would not risk my surgery after such a long wait. Chances are you probably will be fine but.....you never know if you will be unlucky and regret your decision.

Oofy Sat 18-Sep-21 12:08:35

I agree with SachaMac; I have COVID at the moment, confirmed by PCR after 2 negative lateral flow tests. Having been ultra cautious, went to an open air event where I and DH were among the very few wearing masks, no distancing, but outdoors. Double jabbed with positive anti-spike antibodies ( we are on the ONS programme). In the end, probably caught it from the friend we went with, who looks after her dgd several days a week, who had a “cold” on returning to school. Friend fell ill and tested positive before me.
As it stands, no worse than a bad cold at the moment; high temp, aches and pains, headache, cough, sweating a lot and lost taste. I have to quarantine for 10 days. But no way of predicting severity if you catch it. Would be inclined to be cautious if I were you. Wish I had followed my instincts and pulled out of going to the event, where nothing like an op depended being COVID free, but I didn’t want to let people down.

christine96777 Sat 18-Sep-21 12:12:15

Don't go to the party, but to give yourself something to look forward to plan your own party to celebrate your recovery, and catch up with the people you've missed