Gransnet forums

Health

New scar

(36 Posts)
Namsnanny Mon 04-Oct-21 12:19:07

I had a dizzy spell about 2 weeks ago, fell and cracked my head.
Now I have a 5-6 inch gash on my forehead!
Just in time for Halloween!
I'm frightening the horses as I look like Frankensteins girlfriend (remember her from the film, frizzy hair stood up on end. That's me as I havent styled it since I fell🤣).

Its healing but it looks as if it will be a groove with thick skin either side.

What I want to know is if anyone had tried oils that say they will diminish scar tissue and do they work?

Ever hopeful Thanks.

Auntieflo Mon 04-Oct-21 12:24:05

Bio Oil was good for massaging into my knee replacement scar.
Smells good too.

Namsnanny Mon 04-Oct-21 12:26:09

I've seen that one advertised, and did wonder.
I'll give it a go Auntieflo Thank you for the replysmile

V3ra Mon 04-Oct-21 12:26:10

www.elastoplast.co.uk/products/wound-care/scar-reducer-patches?gclid=CjwKCAjwzOqKBhAWEiwArQGwaNgRW69QYB-A1L3sqX4Icd_Q_DgoI0YJ9BYJm_e3Y4OcbwvuSYMuQBoCi98QAvD_BwE

Have a look at this product.

I've also read of good results with rosehip oil or Bio-Oil.

LadyGracie Mon 04-Oct-21 12:30:02

I used Bio Oil on my hysterectomy scar also spinal and wrist scars, it does help to fade them almost completely.

Namsnanny Mon 04-Oct-21 12:31:09

I've read your link Thank you V3ra.
I wish I'd asked the question earlier, as I might have been able to prevent the scar from getting this bad with the product you suggested.
Still I shall definitely try it now.

Namsnanny Mon 04-Oct-21 12:32:29

Thankyou LadyGracie for your help.

V3ra Mon 04-Oct-21 12:35:40

Namsnanny

I've read your link Thank you V3ra.
I wish I'd asked the question earlier, as I might have been able to prevent the scar from getting this bad with the product you suggested.
Still I shall definitely try it now.

It says it works on old or new scars, so definitely worth a try still.

Liz46 Mon 04-Oct-21 12:37:48

Another vote for Bio Oil from me too. Shop around a bit as it's not cheap.

emmasnan Mon 04-Oct-21 12:38:22

I fell and cut my shin down to the bone a few years ago. The nurse who did the dressings suggested I massaged in, any good quality moisturiser as it healed and for a while after.
I followed her advice and the scarring is much less than I was expecting,

Namsnanny Mon 04-Oct-21 12:46:35

Thankyou Liz49.
emmasnan I read online that Vaseline is very good for healing, as it seals the wound from germs, and 'disolves' the dead skin and blood (yuk!).
So I've been using that.
From the point of view of healing I would really recommend it.

Georgesgran Mon 04-Oct-21 12:53:24

DD1 was recommended she use Nivea on a scar after neck surgery, but I’d echo regular use of any moisturizer.

Sparklefizz Mon 04-Oct-21 12:57:18

Rescue Remedy Cream. I had a suspect mole on my cheek removed and had 2 stitches in it. The stitches were removed after a week and I applied Rescue Remedy Cream for a couple of weeks and the scar which was approx 2 cm across, vanished.

Namsnanny Mon 04-Oct-21 13:32:43

Another recommendation that's worth a try. Thankyou for bothering to reply Sparklefizz

Namsnanny Mon 04-Oct-21 13:33:55

Georgesgran I suppose the thinking is that moisturising keeps the skin supple as it heals.

Elless Mon 04-Oct-21 14:32:38

When my son was young he had a big hip operation and ended up with a large keloid scar, Alder Hey prescribed him a waterproof sheet of silicone scar covering that you cut to size. I can't remember the name of it but they do similar ones on Amazon. It massively reduced the scar.

Callistemon Mon 04-Oct-21 14:39:15

Yes, I've used Bio Oil and also one recommended by a nurse called Flexi Oil but I dont think it's sold any more.

Another tip was to break open a Vitamin E capsule, mix the Vit E oil with a bland moisturiser and use that.

The massaging helps as much as whatever oil/moisturiser you use on the scar.

Callistemon Mon 04-Oct-21 14:41:20

Elless

When my son was young he had a big hip operation and ended up with a large keloid scar, Alder Hey prescribed him a waterproof sheet of silicone scar covering that you cut to size. I can't remember the name of it but they do similar ones on Amazon. It massively reduced the scar.

Yes, I was prescribed that by the hospital for large scars. It seemed to work well.

Aveline Mon 04-Oct-21 15:35:58

Bio oil is great and also smells lovely

Auntieflo Mon 04-Oct-21 16:36:36

I meant to say as Callistemon has mentioned, that firm massaging is a great help, certainly was on my knee scar.

Aveline Mon 04-Oct-21 21:30:45

Ooh I couldn't bear anyone to touch my knee!!

25Avalon Mon 04-Oct-21 21:49:29

Manuka Honey is very good but it must be top grade.

annodomini Mon 04-Oct-21 22:33:26

I also recommend Bio Oil which I used on a surgery scar on my wrist about 16 years ago. It healed perfectly and is virtually invisible.

cornergran Tue 05-Oct-21 06:02:39

The nurse who removed the dressing on my TKR wound a week ago advised using Vaseline twice a day. It’s doing a great job at promoting healing.

M0nica Tue 05-Oct-21 06:40:46

Another thumbs up for Bio oil. DD used it on her extensively damaged arm after a road accident and it really did help.