Gransnet forums

Health

Flu Vaccinations

(55 Posts)
PippaZ Fri 08-Oct-21 17:19:06

I was due to have my flu jab this morning; all went well. I was surprised by the news programmes when I woke up this morning, though. They were saying that today was the first day of the rollout for the Flu Vaccines. I was sure I had read some people mention that they had already had theirs.

Where are you all with yours? Booked, already jabbed or haven't heard anything?

Esspee Sat 16-Oct-21 23:46:19

Esspee

PippaZ thank you for starting this thread. It made me realise I could just book with a pharmacy for our flu jab (which is now on Friday) so when we are asked in for our COVID booster we won’t need a flu jab at the same time. Problem solved. ?

I am mortified. We attended our appointment, were asked our ages before seeing the pharmacist. I went first gave all the required details got the jab and thanked the pharmacist. OH followed, having thanked the pharmacist we called out our thanks to the staff who were dealing with a delivery and left.
The pharmacist must have rushed after us as we were only about 4 metres away when he called out from the door that we hadn’t paid. Now I know we don’t look our age but jabs are free for the over 50’s so we returned bewildered. Apparently in Scotland pharmacies only do the jabs privately. We paid and left highly embarrassed.
The Lloyds pharmacy website states in bold that flu jabs are offered free in their pharmacies (funded by the NHS) and much later down the page it mentions this applies only to England and Wales. At no point was it mentioned to us that there would be a charge.
I hope telling you this will prevent similar embarrassment for other Scottish grans. That’s £30 we won’t see again!

Blossoming Sun 17-Oct-21 00:31:29

Had mine at GP surgery on Wednesday.

Blossoming Sun 17-Oct-21 00:33:19

Esspee that’s shocking! I’m sure many people would be caught out.

Nannatwiglet Tue 19-Oct-21 13:23:51

Further to my post of Sat 16th Oct when our surgery made a mistake reporting we had had our flu vaccines…but we hadn’t!….we are still waiting to be booked in to have our flu jabs with the chemist.
Hopefully she can fit us in some time in November, since my husband must “wait a week at least after he had his booster Covid jab yesterday……!”