Gransnet forums

Health

Booster jab and penicillin allergy

(59 Posts)
Sheena Sun 24-Oct-21 11:43:03

I have my booster jab booked for tomorrow, but seriously worried now.

We had our first two AZ jabs, all fine, but the booster is most likely to be the Pfizer one.

I have heard round and about, and on the radio that some people with allergies have reacted badly to the pfizer jab... so I wonder has anyone here with allergies had that one?

I also have allergies to cephelasporin , anti tetanus. and morphine.

I also have my flu jab booked for Thursday but never had one of those before, and again, have heard some people reacting badly.

I know I sound a wimp, but I am worried.

confused ..... help !!

pce612 Mon 25-Oct-21 10:55:30

I am allergic to penecillin and have had 3 Pfizer jabs and flu jab, no adverse effects, just the sore arms (booster and flu done at the same time)
I also suffer from non specific allergic rhinitis. Bummer. Tissues by the case......

Harmonypuss Mon 25-Oct-21 10:58:37

I have allergies, am considered to be CV and have had all 3 Pfizer covid jabs with only a mildly sore arm for a day after the second one.
I won't be having my flu jab until the end of next month (it lasts about 3 months and the majority of flu season is January/February).
My suggestion for anyone with allergies would be to NOT have the flu and covid jab at the same time because of you have a bad reaction to one of them you won't know which one has caused it.

jaylucy Mon 25-Oct-21 11:00:43

Oh please! You are asked before you are given any vaccination at all if you have allergies !
For the booster you will either be given Pfizer , or Modena.
Wasn't aware any vaccinations contain penicillin, or morphine.

Alioop Mon 25-Oct-21 11:09:06

I had the 2 az jabs and waiting for my Pfizer booster. I'm allergic to penicillin too, but don't worry, the nurse should ask you about any allergies when you go for your jabs and if not just you tell her. I'm also waiting for my first ever flu jab, I have some bad flu that I couldn't even get out of bed so bring it on I say. Hopefully your side effects are minimal and just think, it could save your life.

Callistemon Mon 25-Oct-21 11:16:49

Sheena has probably had her booster jab by now but this link may be helpful if anyone has concerns

www.sps.nhs.uk/articles/advising-individuals-with-allergies-on-their-suitability-for-covid-19-vaccine-pfizer-biontech/

jaylucy Oh please! You are asked before you are given any vaccination at all if you have allergies!
Not always in my experience although the nurse did ask before I had the Covid vaccination. There was a pharmacist in the centre too and they double-checked that all was fine before going ahead.

Elusivebutterfly Mon 25-Oct-21 11:39:01

I am allergic to Neomycin and in the past was advised not to have the flu vaccine. It is apparently made differently now and have had it the last two years with no side effects, neither did I have more than a minor sore arm with my recent pneumoccal vaccine.
I had Pfizer for my two Covid vaccines and only had a sore arm and tiredness.
There is also apparently a new shingles vaccine which is safer for those of us with allergies so will be able to have that soon.

Fennel Mon 25-Oct-21 12:08:31

What surprises me about this thread is how many of us are allergic to penicillin.
It probably isn't often used now anyway. My allergic reaction (rash) was back in 1968.

Violettham Mon 25-Oct-21 12:24:39

Sheena I had my booster and flu jab recently one in each arm. no reaction reaction just a slight soreness soon gone.

Lupatria Mon 25-Oct-21 12:42:24

i am allergic to penecillin and have seasonal hayfever.
i had two a-z covid jabs with no reaction and my booster last werk which was phizer - only a soreish arm and a bit tired for that.
my flu jab was two weeks ago and i had no reaction .... mind you i didn't even feel it go in!

icanhandthemback Mon 25-Oct-21 13:09:41

Please don't worry, they will allow you to express your concerns before they give you the jab and will take any complications into account.

Childofthe60s Mon 25-Oct-21 13:55:44

My husband is allergic to penicillin and was fine after the annual flu jab.

Alison333 Mon 25-Oct-21 13:58:13

One of my sons is allergic to penicillin but had no problems with the Pfizer jabs. As other people have said, just make sure the staff know what your allergies are.

Many people are allergic to penicillin so if it was a problem, I think we would have heard about it by now.

Thisismyname1953 Mon 25-Oct-21 13:59:11

I have an allergy to morphine too OP and all of my 3 jabs have been Pfizer, with no ill effects.

Granny1London Mon 25-Oct-21 14:02:49

Lillian 40 It is an intramuscular injection so is supposed to go into the muscle.

Riggie Mon 25-Oct-21 14:12:02

I was asked about allergies and I'm allergic to penicillin (plus cats and blue cheese and!) and had the Pfizer with no problems.

When I took my son - who is CEV - we told the vaccinator what he was allergic to and it is something with several ingredients, and we don't know which one is the problem, so they went and checked each of the ingredients against the ingredients in the vaccine. Very thorough.

Barrygirl Mon 25-Oct-21 14:21:35

I am allergic to Penicillen and all my jabs were Pfizer with no reaction apart from slightly sore arm at all! It will be fine!

montymops Mon 25-Oct-21 15:10:35

I have had a serious anaphylactic reaction in the past requiring hospitalisation for 5 days and my life was on a 50/50 basis. This reaction was to any medication ending in ‘..azole’ so spoke to a GP - he was very helpful - looked up the components of the Pfizer jab and it does not contain anything like this. I too had the AZ first time round so was a bit worried.

nipsmum Mon 25-Oct-21 15:36:05

I am allergic to Penicillin. I had both Covid Vaccines( AZ) with no I'll effects. I've had flu vacs every year for the past 40 years with no I'll effects. I'm always asked if I'm allergic to Eggs. The answer is no. I am not allergic to Eggs only allergic to Penicillin.

mar76 Mon 25-Oct-21 15:54:28

I am allergic to penicillin, had Pfizer jabs - no affects. Due for Booster on Wednesday. Bring it on.

glammagran Mon 25-Oct-21 16:32:58

Unfortunately, my 28 year old younger daughter had a very bad reaction after her Pfizer jab. She has a flu one each year as she is ‘at risk’ but has had no reactions from these. She had IgA neuropathy, a kidney disease diagnosed in her late teens after a bad bout of swine flu. Apart from a lot of pain her wee often looked like Coca Cola due to blood and protein and she felt terrible. She had high risk pregnancies but actually had no problems with her kidneys. But symptoms returned within a week of Pfizer jab having been absent for some years. They have gone again now though.

Puzzled Mon 25-Oct-21 16:38:10

Both my first vaccinations were Pfizer, Booster was Pfizer. No side effects.
OH had two AZ booster last Friday was Pfizer. On Saturday, heavy arm, severe headache, upset tummy. Headache now gone , but tummy still a bit iffy, so not doing usual things, (Church, dog walking etc )
Might be interaction between the two vaccines, or could be a total coincidence.

marymary62 Mon 25-Oct-21 16:57:30

I’m allergic to penicillin and have never had problems with flu jab . Had Astra z and fine, assume they will tell me if booster is a problem but there is no penicillin in it so
I’m sure it’ll be fine ! Tell them about your allergies and as other have said
leave it for them

hulahoop Mon 25-Oct-21 17:28:56

Like you montytops I suffered anaphylactic shock and spent several days was told not to have pfzizer when jabs first started but it is ok now and had mine Friday with no problems I do carry an epipen glad I didn't have to use it !!

JdotJ Mon 25-Oct-21 18:01:53

My understanding is that there is no AZ booster.
It's either Pfizer or Moderna as a booster.

Jaffacake2 Mon 25-Oct-21 18:22:41

I suffer from anaphylaxis to several foods and drugs and unfortunately had an anaphylactic shock after the 2nd AZ vaccine. Collapsed at the vaccination hub and was treated with adrenaline and oxygen and ambulance to hospital where I needed more treatment. Prior to the vaccine I had spoken to the staff who thought as I had already had the first vaccine I would be fine with the second.
Now thinking on whether to have a booster. My thinking is that although anaphylaxis is horrendous I can be treated and after a week or so rest eventually feel human again.
However I also suffer from asthma and would not do well if I had severe covid. I have said to my family that I would not want to be on a ventilator .
So big decisions but all about weighing up the potential risks.