Gransnet forums

Health

Booster jab and penicillin allergy

(59 Posts)
Sheena Sun 24-Oct-21 11:43:03

I have my booster jab booked for tomorrow, but seriously worried now.

We had our first two AZ jabs, all fine, but the booster is most likely to be the Pfizer one.

I have heard round and about, and on the radio that some people with allergies have reacted badly to the pfizer jab... so I wonder has anyone here with allergies had that one?

I also have allergies to cephelasporin , anti tetanus. and morphine.

I also have my flu jab booked for Thursday but never had one of those before, and again, have heard some people reacting badly.

I know I sound a wimp, but I am worried.

confused ..... help !!

Grandmama Mon 25-Oct-21 18:24:00

I'm awaiting my booster jab. I'm allergic to penicillin, septrim and brufen and my Pfizer jabs had no ill effect although the second jab caused an itchy lump on the jab site which lasted for a week or so.

glammagran Mon 25-Oct-21 18:32:25

I did forget to say up post my DD is allergic to penicillin, diclofenac (admitted to hospital) and most nuts and a few other foodstuffs.

Copes283 Mon 25-Oct-21 19:58:47

I'm so glad I read all of your posts - I'm allergic to penicillin and was a bit worried when I started to read. Having read all of them, I have reverted to my usual fairly laid back position again. Flu jabs booked, hubby has had his covid booster (no ill effects at all). I can't have my booster till after 21st November but I'll be there with my sleeve rolled up at the first opportunity!!

annodomini Mon 25-Oct-21 20:31:46

I am allergic to penicillin and have had the Pfizer vaccine each time with absolutely no reactions.

GreyKnitter Mon 25-Oct-21 20:56:10

I am allergic to penicillin plus a range of other medications but I had no problem with the Pfizer vaccines or the flu jab. Very slight sore arm and then slept well the night after both of my Covid jabs. I’m having my booster on Wednesday so hope that is as simple. Good luck with yours Sheena.

valdali Mon 25-Oct-21 21:06:13

Penicillin G, the old original, still first choice antibiotic for strep throat. Many current first and second line antibiotics are newer penicillins and so it's still really important to say if you think you're allergic to penicillin (although not everyone who thinks they are, actually is). Just clarifying as someone up-thread thought it wasn't used much these days.

FoghornLeghorn Mon 25-Oct-21 22:28:47

Lillian40

I had my booster Friday, my Flue jab the week before, and of course the previous Covid vaccinations. I have none serious allergies, but had no reactions to any of the jabs. Just a sore arm with the booster because the very very young man caught the muscle, but after 2 days it is all fine now.

It’s an intramuscular injection so the needle has to go into the muscle. Having a sore arm doesn’t mean the injection technique was incorrect. A sore arm is a common side effect.

GrauntyHelen Mon 25-Oct-21 22:29:24

Your allergy to penicillin will have no bearing on the booster or flu jab