Gransnet forums

Health

Painful trapped nerve at back of neck.

(33 Posts)
snowberryZ Sun 27-Feb-22 23:22:39

I think I've strained the back of my neck (possible trapped nerve?)
It started about two weeks ago and I thought if I rested it and didn't get draughts on it, it would eventually get better.
But no such luck. confused
It's really sore and tender and radiates pain down both upper arms and they feel weaker as well.
I'm getting constant headaches with it and because my neck is so painful I can't get comfortable to sleep at night. It hurts worse when I lie down.
I have an appointment with a gp but am thinking of seeing either an Osteopath or Chiropractor but I'm not sure which is best.
I've never been to either, so was wondering if anyone has any experience of these practices.
Did they help?
Any advice welcome.
Sorry for the pity party but I'm feeling sorry for myself blush
Thanks!

Chestnut Mon 28-Feb-22 17:46:21

Charleygirl5 You need a diagnosis before embarking on treatment.
I've already said a diagnosis could take months. In theory you want a diagnosis first but in practice it might take too long. Your doctor is unlikely to give a diagnosis, they will just refer you.

Charleygirl5 Mon 28-Feb-22 22:24:57

A GP should at least order an x-ray and that would show if the problem was arthritic. That would not take months.

Jane43 Mon 28-Feb-22 22:47:09

Another vote here for a Physio. My DH had pain in his shoulder and couldn’t raise his arm very far. He saw the GP and she said it was arthritis and to take painkillers. I persuaded him to see a Physio and after the first visit she diagnosed a frozen shoulder (there was a proper name but I’ve forgotten it). She gave him exercises and he saw her a week later. She wrote to the GP recommending an injection - he had to have an x ray first then the injection, it was done very quickly but it was before COVID. The physio said it usually gets better after about 12-18 months and she was right.

Blossoming Mon 28-Feb-22 23:01:29

I saw a physio for this condition. Worked for me.

Hetty58 Mon 28-Feb-22 23:05:41

I'd have an MRI to find out exactly what the problem was - before I'd let any physio etc. even touch it.

Chestnut Mon 28-Feb-22 23:51:52

Hetty58

I'd have an MRI to find out exactly what the problem was - before I'd let any physio etc. even touch it.

Well good luck with that. I've been going through this since December, just waiting for my second MRI scan and no nearer finding out the cause yet. I have an appt at the end of April in a better clinic, just hoping they can diagnose something.

jeanie99 Thu 03-Mar-22 00:24:44

I really do sympathize I know what it is to suffer from pain down the face neck and leg.
GP told me I had a classic neck injury with damaged nerves, this was due to taking classes in palates or yoga. Never did find out which one caused the problem. I have to be very careful. 3 years later I still have damaged nerves down my face.
Last year I had Plantar fasciitis, A&E said it was caused by an exercise I was told to do by a Physio. Because the pain in your foot is so bad you walk in a different way and this in turn created a trapped nerve in my leg. This went on for 5 months. I thought the trapped nerve could be because of how I was walking and it was. I started to straighten my walking and within days the pain had gone in my leg.
When you have had these type of problems you really appreciate life when you get over the problem.
Like most people say you must go to see the GP and they will advice the best thing to do.