Gransnet forums

Health

Codeine constipation

(88 Posts)
travelsafar Sun 01-May-22 18:27:51

Anyone got tips on how to prevent this happening. Seems a trival thing to bother gp about and too embarrassed to speak to pharmacist blush

MissAdventure Mon 02-May-22 10:08:49

Good old fashioned prunes.
Actually not old fashioned - there are some sold in sachets now, which are almost like sweets.

H1954 Mon 02-May-22 10:12:03

PM sent

GagaJo Mon 02-May-22 10:12:29

Juliet27

Prune juice works for me

Oh yes! Sunsweet prune juice. In the US it always used to be my go-to for the whole family. One glass does the trick. Looks like motor oil but is lovely to drink.

Harder to get here unfortunately. Kiwis work OK though.

Babs758 Mon 02-May-22 10:50:14

Dried Figs work but beware the sugar content!

Jaxjacky Mon 02-May-22 11:42:00

I have Lactulose on prescription as my acid reflux tables cause constipation, you can buy it in the pharmacy too.

silverlining48 Mon 02-May-22 16:15:16

ON the subject of constipation I had a bad experience this morning, worst ever and really frightened me. Felt so unwell just got back into bed and have only just got out again. 4 pm. Still in pjs, frightened to eat ( no wish to add to the problem).
It’s like I was trying to give birth to a brick. Have been drinking water black tea etc all day as well as 3 sachets of the powder. All to no avail.
Constipation is really not funny. Not at all. No laughing grin
I said it’s not funny, wink

silverlining48 Mon 02-May-22 16:17:02

Definitely NOT trivial travels.

MissAdventure Mon 02-May-22 16:20:24

grin
Sorry..
Have you erm... resolved the problem yet?

silverlining48 Mon 02-May-22 16:23:46

Not entirely [ shock] but thanks fir asking.

MissAdventure Mon 02-May-22 16:24:05

Oh no, I just saw what you wrote properly.
It is horrible, constipation.

ayse Mon 02-May-22 16:26:12

westessexccg.nhs.uk/your-health/medicines-optimisation-and-pharmacy/clinical-guidelines-and-prescribing-formularies/01-gastro-intestinal-system/14-opioid-induced-constipation-pathway/file

This gives details of what is recommended by Essex NHS. To soften sodium ducosate combined with bisocodyl to act as a stimulant. Two products could be Dulcoease and Entrolax. As others have said plenty of fluids, fruit and vegetables especially green. I’ve been checking it out as I’m due a procedure soon and want to avoid constipation if possible.

MissAdventure Mon 02-May-22 16:28:56

www.dyno.com/prices

ayse Mon 02-May-22 16:29:25

East and North Herts NHS also says to avoid bulk forming laxatives. I’m sorry I don’t have a link for this now.

nadateturbe Mon 02-May-22 16:30:24

I start the day with three prunes.

silverlining48 Mon 02-May-22 16:36:26

Thanks but I think I am past the prune stage....
I understand the principals but think MissAs suggestion is best, Dyno rod is what’s needed.

Chemists have just closed so will have to deal tomorrow,
I have a new bottle of dulcolax, wonder if it’s worth switching from my orange powder named upthread.

crazyH Mon 02-May-22 16:38:45

I remember my poor little granddaughter about 3 at the time, sitting on the potty and straining - her face red as a berry - I could do nothing but sit near her and rub her stomachand back. Finally, job done ….as silverlining says like a ‘brick’. It must have been such a relief for her. Poor baby. She is now 18 years old. I hope things are ‘moving’ better now. Must ask her ?

crazyH Mon 02-May-22 16:40:59

No it’s not funny silverlining - hope things have moved for you ?

silverlining48 Mon 02-May-22 16:45:44

Thanks Ayse, that was helpful, will max up the powders rather than start on something else. Wish me luck x

Fennel Mon 02-May-22 16:47:03

I use Senakot which I buy from Tesco. I try not to be too dependent on it My Gran used to drink senna tea.
Another 'must' is plenty of water.
The last few days I found that a red pepper salad which had 'gone off' but still tasty worked well as a laxative.

Bakingmad0203 Mon 02-May-22 17:03:24

I was constipated for over a week. after being prescribed Co codomol. No one told me it would have that effect. What made it worse was that it was pressing against my urinary tract, so although I needed to pass urine it came out as a trickle! Very frightening. Dulcolax helped to soften the faeces and together with eating prunes straight out of the packet, the next morning I managed to go. Beware though that you need to be close to a toilet as soon as you feel you need to go.
I hope this helps Silverlining48

SachaMac Mon 02-May-22 17:08:27

My GP prescribed Docusate to take alongside Co-Codomol initially but I seem to be ok without it now. Plenty of fluids, high fibre cereal & fruit & veg (pears are good) help. My mother swears by good old fashioned Milk of Magnesia if you can get hold of any.
The sugar free sweets are lethal, I worked with someone who greedily scoffed a whole bag of Thornton’s chocolates for Diabetics at her desk one day thinking they would be ok as she was on a diet, the results on her way home from work were explosive and very embarrassing.

Bakingmad0203 Mon 02-May-22 17:10:25

Oh what I forgot to say was that I was also taking Fybogel which has always worked for me and I continued with it for a few days afterwards.
But do contact the pharmacist tomorrow, as after all they are the experts and know what is best for you.

timetogo2016 Mon 02-May-22 17:20:19

It`s a side effect from taking codeine Travels.
Lemons in really cold water first thing in the morning on an empty stomach should do the trick.

Farzanah Mon 02-May-22 17:31:37

I occasionally have to take codeine for arthritic pain as I cannot take NSAIDs and paracetamol doesn’t work for me, and it always constipates me despite a diet with plenty of fruit and veg.
Movicol seems to be what is recommended for older people and is gentle.
Another tip is to have a small footstool by the loo, to make sure your knees are higher than your hips, as it is a more natural position when defecating.

Mine Mon 02-May-22 19:55:03

If I need to take cocodamol I drink a glass of cloudy apple juice first thing in the morning...Tastes delicious and gets your bowels moving