Gransnet forums

Health

Hyperthyroidism

(17 Posts)
Nandalot Tue 17-May-22 13:11:26

A few years ago, I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, palpitations, hand tremor . Like other places on Carbimazole, though not beta blockers as contra indicated with asthma. The consultant said he would get it stable within two years and that is what happened. However, I have never felt completely well since then, and did end up with a heart block corrected by a pacemaker 18 months ago.

HarlemShuffle Tue 17-May-22 12:46:54

T4 and T3 within the range? If that's correct, then you are unlikely to have Graves and really need antibody testing to establish what is going on, which your GP could do, if he knew anything about thyroid disease.

VioletSky Thu 05-May-22 20:06:07

From what I remember, TSH comes from your pituitary gland, its what drives T4 and T3 production. If you had low TSH 6 months ago, those T4 or T3 levels could be elevating b0y now and thats where things could potentially get dangerous.

If its been 6 months you definitely need another blood test to check where things are now.

I would call them and simply ask to book bloods.

Either that or chase up the referral with the hospital.

6 months is far too long.

My T4 was in the 40s when I was finally diagnosed and it is took a year to get it back in normal range. The sooner you get on top of this the better.

Fight for the care you need.

DollyD Thu 05-May-22 18:38:08

VioletSky

I agree, call the doctor, they can prescribe

Are you having blood tests every month?

No I’m not being monitored, I’ve had one blood test on 30th November when they discovered the Hyper and since then, just waiting for Endocrinology.

DollyD Thu 05-May-22 18:35:10

Farmor15

DollyD - I can understand GP not prescribing carbimazole if he thought you were going to see consultant quickly. But 6 months is a long time to be hyper without proper treatment. Carbimazole can cause serious side effects occasionally, but the effects of untreated hyperthyroidism are also serious!
Did you get told blood test results? You are entitled to them and once you get the hang of what they mean, they can be useful for monitoring own condition.

Yes, I know it’s ridiculous, as when he first diagnosed Hyperthyroidism, he told me I was being referred urgently and it will be 7 months by the time I see them in June.
I am worried about it, because GP says it has given me Arrhythmia, which he “kindly” told me could cause stroke or heart attack.
He told me he knows what medication the hospital will likely put me on but as he’s been instructed to not give medication until Endocrinologist has seen me, he won’t do it.
And yes, I have got the results of the bloods, TSH Level 0.01
T3 and T4 within the range.

VioletSky Thu 05-May-22 15:47:38

I agree, call the doctor, they can prescribe

Are you having blood tests every month?

Farmor15 Thu 05-May-22 11:15:46

DollyD - I can understand GP not prescribing carbimazole if he thought you were going to see consultant quickly. But 6 months is a long time to be hyper without proper treatment. Carbimazole can cause serious side effects occasionally, but the effects of untreated hyperthyroidism are also serious!
Did you get told blood test results? You are entitled to them and once you get the hang of what they mean, they can be useful for monitoring own condition.

DollyD Thu 05-May-22 10:55:59

Thanks so much for all your replies.
Farmor my GP is not willing to prescribe carbimazole until I have been assessed by the Consultant, as he has been told he should refer “urgently” to Endocrinology and patients will be seen within 2 week but it’s now 6 months because of Covid.
So all this time I’m not being treated for Hyperthyroidism, just given Beta Blockers and blood thinners. I contacted GP a while ago and told him I was thinking of paying privately but he advised me to wait a bit longer and he would write to them.
I’m going to read through all your replies again later when I have more time. Having carpets fitted all through the house today, nightmare!!!!

Doodledog Wed 04-May-22 21:33:10

I also have Graves which developed after Hashitoxicosis. I’ve been on various combinations of Carbimazole and Thyroxin for a couple of years, as well as Propranolol (a beta-blocker)and have gained weight that I can’t shift.

It is really difficult to get listened to, as the NHS is only interested if your blood tests fall outside of certain parameters, and if they don’t, it doesn’t matter how severe your symptoms, you are assumed to be exaggerating.

I often feel very tired, but as I also suffer from Pernicious Anaemia it can be difficult to know what is causing what. I don’t think the beta-blockers will make you feel tired, but I do think that if you have fatigue you should bring it up with your consultant and ask what he or she is doing about it at every appointment. If it (or any other symptom) is not mentioned in the letter you get when the consultation is written up for your GP, point out that it has been missed, and again, ask what is going to be done. You really have to be proactive unfortunately, although it might be the last thing you feel when you just want to get some sleep.

VioletSky Wed 04-May-22 19:52:17

Hi i have hyperthyroidism caused by graves disease.... I was diagnosed a while ago now and I've been on carbimazole nearly 18 months.

My life was in bits, I couldn't walk, I had to have breaks to get through a bowl of washing up, my brain was going a 100 miles an hour, paranoid and anxious and mood swings. My heart unknown to me was going up to 200 beats a minute and i shook continuously.

I was diagnosed by accident due to asking for help with hip pain, I had given up on the other symptoms with doctors making me feel like a hypochondriac but i had painful hips in pregnancy and knew the treatment so litetally demanded that.... And the doctor decided to check my thyroid instead. At that point my levels were so high i was diagnosed with thyrotoxicosis and signed off work which was a relief.

I won't lie, it has damaged my joints, muscles and my bone health but overall i feel so much better now.

Im hoping to be told i am in remission soon and i can come off the medication.

The only problem i found was that beta blockers gave me terrible insomnia. If that happens i would check with the doctor immediately. Also remember that a temperature and/or a sore throat need to be checked out straight away.

dahlia Wed 04-May-22 19:50:35

My DH was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism about 20 years ago. He was a builder (a very physical job) and had to go to bed when he arrived home, utterly exhausted. He lost weight rapidly and was prescribed carbimazole with regular testing. Unfortunately, its effects soon wore off and eventually he had to have his thyroid gland "zapped" so it no longer works. Instead he has thyroxin, and again with regular blood tests. Touch wood, all has been well and he is now retired. I do hope you get your treatment sorted soon, it can be quite frightening at first but I am sure your medication regime will soon be sorted and you will begin to feel better.

Gossamerbeynon1945 Wed 04-May-22 19:33:59

Try Health Unlocked. I find it very useful.

shysal Wed 04-May-22 17:17:28

I had an overactive thyroid some years ago, caused by a non-typical form of Graves disease. I was given beta blockers just to calm the symptoms of tremor and racing heart while the Carbimazole took effect, which was a couple of weeks I think.
I took the Carbomazole for about 2 years with regular blood tests and have had no problem since. I did gain some weight due to it slowing the metabolism, but soon lost it afterwards.
I hope your treatment goes smoothly. Let us know how you get on. flowers

Farmor15 Wed 04-May-22 16:36:46

www.gransnet.com/forums/health/1309796-HYPERTHROID-CARBIMAZOLE
Here's the other thread

Farmor15 Wed 04-May-22 16:34:33

I'm surprised you weren't prescribed carbimazole. It reduces the amount of thyroxine released by thyroid so should reduce the other symptoms. The beta blocker and blood thinner won't have any effect on thyroid.
There's a recent thread about this. I'll post link if I can find it

Pepper59 Wed 04-May-22 15:59:38

Im sorry to hear this. There are two websites that you may get information from. One is Thyroid UK and the other is British Thyroid Foundation. I have no experience of the medication you are on, unfortunately thyroid issues can make you feel very unwell. I hope you get things sorted and feel better soon.

DollyD Wed 04-May-22 15:12:07

I was diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism last December and referred “urgently” to Endocrinology, supposed to be within 2 weeks but after them cancelling and then telling me I’m on the waiting list, I eventually got an appointment for 6th June.
The GP did some tests and found that the Hyperthyroidism had given me Arrhythmia and prescribed Beta Blockers and Blood thinners.
GP said hopefully, when they treat the Hyperthyroidism the Arrhythmia will be fixed.
Has anyone here had experience of Hyperthyroidism and the medication I’ve been prescribed?
My energy quickly drains now while doing any slightly strenuous task and I feel very weak. Is this usual with this type of medication?
Any input will be great fully received.