Gransnet forums

Health

Colonoscopy Appt via Phone Call

(38 Posts)
Bea65 Thu 30-Jun-22 13:58:41

Late yesterday received phone call from local hospital which am relieved about as, this urgent 2 wk referral has taken 8 weeks+ my dilemma is, as having sedation and need someone to collect me and stay overnight...i responded that yes, had someone ..now my daughter has a corporate event to attend re work and feel I've pressurised her into saying she will come home and meet me after the procedure and stay over..
How would single people with no near relatives or good friends answer to the nurse "Do you have someone to stay with you?" Have been totally wound up about this all last night..you can't even tell a fib as They the Nursing Team telephone the person you are saying are going to collect you and stay with you...But what if you say No..will they carry out the procedure or not...this is only for people who are having sedation and after the last colonoscopy 12 yrs ago had just a valium and Oh dear if was the worst experience as they discovered had diverticuli throughout colon and can't remove all the colon so because had bad experience, the Nurse who called me recommended I had the sedation...

Bea65 Wed 06-Jul-22 14:30:31

THANK you crazyH

MissAdventure Wed 06-Jul-22 14:30:27

My fingers will be crossed for you, Bea.
It's a while to wait, for sure.

crazyH Wed 06-Jul-22 14:29:20

Bea65 - glad that’s over and I hope the results will not be too concerning - good luck !

Bea65 Wed 06-Jul-22 14:21:39

They said 2-4 weeks..

MissAdventure Wed 06-Jul-22 12:54:53

How long will it be before you get the results, do you know?
Presumably quickly, if there is a concern?

Bea65 Wed 06-Jul-22 12:49:39

MissAdventure haven't got any cake but Thank You ..and yes i had the little pill years ago and was nearly shouting stop..it was soo painful...
Now just have to remain calm for the results of the biopsies

MissAdventure Wed 06-Jul-22 11:56:35

You need to just rest and spoil yourself, Bea.
I think we forget that procedures are so invasive and intrusive, and expect to bounce back.
Lots of sitting down for you today. cupcake

MissAdventure Wed 06-Jul-22 11:54:01

grin
A woman after my own heart, Exdancer.
I kept saying "excuse me, I'm not sure this sedative is working... helloo, hellooo! I'm wide awake here!'

ExDancer Wed 06-Jul-22 11:44:20

Oh me too, me too MissA. It was a brutal experience which I do not wish to repeat. They said the little pill they gave me was a sedative - they lied, I've never felt so awake!
I'll have to be dying before I submit to another.

Bea65 Wed 06-Jul-22 11:42:18

MissAdventure no wasn't asleep, relaxed but did have to give me another shot of Fentanyl when the scope got blocked and changed to smaller one..I felt great yesterday ..did 2 loads of washing and daughter kept telling me to sit down..now today have headache and no energy..

MissAdventure Wed 06-Jul-22 11:34:42

Did you actually go to sleep during the procedure, Bea?
I had a gastroscopy with sedation, and I didn't feel the least bit sedate!
I needed more!

Bea65 Wed 06-Jul-22 11:30:55

Feel like i have a Hangover today...

MissAdventure Tue 05-Jul-22 18:06:14

Most people I know in that situation just fib.
It's what I do.

ExDancer Tue 05-Jul-22 16:06:49

I've read through this carefully. Have we answered the question of HOW do people manage if they truly have no-one to stay overnight?
Surely they would stay in hospital overnight?
Wouldn't they?

Bea65 Tue 05-Jul-22 15:53:00

UPDATE: PROCEDURE went well - this time had a gown and blue shorts down to the knee with slit in bottom area..nice to preserve some dignity in this area...also, rec'd a Report on Discharge results so comprehensive but have to wait on the 10 biopsies taken - glad I requested the sedation was as they had to change to smaller scope due to significant diverticulum and more Fentantyl eased the situation..
N.B my cell phone had no signal in Recovery lounge and Nurses informed that this is to not disturb other patients recovering from procedures..so nurses do require the name and phone no. of the contact as they ring from hospital line to let your contact know what time to come and meet you in the daycare lounge..so no fibbingsmile The nurse actually came to meet my daughter with me to ensure patient safety. Was actually impressed as Yes CaravanSerai the Scoping Suites technology has moved on and was out within 2 hrs..not hungry at all as stomach is bloated still full of gas, not tired at all must be drugs in system...Prep was definitely the worst..

Bea65 Mon 04-Jul-22 22:36:05

There is no such transport available for these same day procedures in my area . can't wait to get this awful gagging prep over and done with.. struggling with the 2nd jug..

Margiknot Sat 02-Jul-22 18:21:54

Star dreamer my understanding is that transport ambulances are only available to certain people- although it may vary in different areas.

Bea65 Thu 30-Jun-22 16:45:57

MissAdventure ..totally grin

StarDreamer Thu 30-Jun-22 16:36:48

It may vary from area to area, but at least some areas have transport ambulances, that have a couch, a place to lock a wheelchair so that a person in a wheelchair can be transported while in the wheelchair, and some seats, like a third of a minibus. They go round and pick people up and return them home and see them into their home, either for an outpatient appointment or for inpatient treatment. The transport ambulances are different from the "blue light" ambulances that have a couch and lots of medical equipment.

Booking is by contacting the Patient Transport Service at the hospital.

MissAdventure Thu 30-Jun-22 16:26:02

I'd like to be sedated before I even walk through the hospital doors, ideally smile

Bea65 Thu 30-Jun-22 16:23:15

CaravanSerai I agree about being able to go home to your own bed is more therapeutic as sleeping in hospital for me was almost impossible..but for my colonoscopy sedation is recommended ..probs due to medical history..

Bea65 Thu 30-Jun-22 16:03:02

Mouseybrown60 i didn't know this but Thank You..will contact them and see if I'm eligible for assistance for future Hospital procedures...

CaravanSerai Thu 30-Jun-22 16:00:21

Bea This is why it is best to try to avoid any drug intervention if at all possible. If it was twelve years ago that you had your last endoscopy you will find that the technology has moved on, the equipment is finer and easier for the doctor to guide around your colon. You can talk about any concerns you have with the nurse who deals with the pre-endoscopy health checks and paperwork.

It is a concern for people who live alone (as I do) when these things need to be done. For the two operatons I had which required generals I would far rather have been able to go home to rest afterwards Hospitals are noisy places 24/7 and hard to get any sleep.

All we can do is build support networks and never be afraid to ask a friend or neighbour to help as we would help our friends and neighbours.

Mouseybrown60 Thu 30-Jun-22 15:50:02

AgeUK volunteers will collect patients from hospital and take them home. I think they would probably take you there too. It’s worth contacting your local branch as they may provide more assistance on your return.
I hope all goes well.

Bea65 Thu 30-Jun-22 15:44:14

Thank you for your comments..I had a bad reaction to Lidocaine several years ago at the Dentist and whilst under this sedation, had a TIA ...knew something had happened as arm flopped down and right leg jerked and heavy..lost feeling in foot..couldn't speak just slurred but could hear Dentist and Ambulance personnel put me on oxygen.. In A&E..Drs. argued about the trigger left my whole right side weakened and walk with limp...so am naturally anxious ...of course will send daughter on her way as do not want to inconvenience her but was thinking of other singles living alone with other health issues