Gransnet forums

Health

Just heard I've got to have a colonoscopy - help!

(37 Posts)
Macerena Thu 22-Sep-22 12:34:13

Having just broken my shoulder, I had to have "routine" tests and they said I have to have a colonoscopy. Very worried. Can anyone offer tips please? Thank you.

Oopsadaisy1 Fri 23-Sep-22 18:17:31

Exactly, stay on the loo, don’t move off of it until you haven’t ‘been ‘ for 20 minutes, usually after 4/5 hours.

Take a good book or crossword puzzle, learn a foreign language, you’ll have plenty of time. Because believe me you will not make it into the loo, by the time you think you need to go it will be too late.

I didn’t mind the taste of the prep, I had worse when I was pregnant, Cod Liver oil and Orange juice yuk,yuk,yuk.

Urmstongran Fri 23-Sep-22 18:37:14

The Movicol prep is beyond awful. Each time I had it I was horrified. I kept thinking (wrongly) “oh I’m sure it’s not THAT bad”. Wrong. It tastes salty and mean. What a good idea to use a straw! Or maybe not. I liked to get it down as soon as so maybe a straw would be too slow? But then if you can’t taste it that would be okay.

I’ve had five colonoscopies. Family history. My father died of colon cancer at 47y. I chose not to have sedation. It ‘creases’ you momentarily but it’s truly no biggie. In fact watching the progress of the endoscope on the tube was interesting and the endoscopist chats to you and warns you ‘at up, we’re coming to a bendy bit, breathe now’. A few nd you’re fine. Truly. I’m such a wuss so if I could cope, anyone can.

No sedation meant I could drive myself home afterwards. But you can choose.

I had 3 polyps ‘snared’ at my last procedure. All sent for histology. All reported as benign. Yay!

You’ll be fine OP. It’s not pleasant but (hopefully) for peace of mind (wishing you ALL THE BEST) it’s worth it. We are lucky to be offered screening when you think about it. Technology is pretty wonderful isn’t it? The alternative is walking around going ‘la-la’ whilst perhaps something nasty (and treatable when caught early) is growing inside of you.

nadateturbe Fri 23-Sep-22 22:53:57

watching the progress of the endoscope on the tube was interesting

Perhaps I'll look at the dvd I was given after mine! Some day......

Dotty123 Sat 24-Sep-22 08:12:18

Agree with all the above!
I too found watching it on screen as it happened really fascinating. We’re so fortunate to be offered this procedure.

harrigran Sat 24-Sep-22 09:56:03

I had my last colonoscopy three weeks ago and it was fine. I had sedation because I have permanent gut pain and did not want to add to it. The prep is not pleasant but heed the warnings and stay near the bathroom and use the vaseline.
My procedure was through my stoma so I was lying on my back and was able to follow the procedure on the monitor, helps take your mind off it and the doctor can talk you through it.
You get a print out of findings before you leave the endoscopy unit.

lemsip Sat 24-Sep-22 10:10:54

It's not the procedure I'm worried about..
It's the prep you drink to clear you out that
I'm frightened about! I sometimes get spasms of pain that double me up when things can't get through, I am frightened this may happen. I've been in hospital for it. no ones mentioning that part!

Fleurpepper Sat 24-Sep-22 10:39:41

The prep is horrible- makes me feel sick to think of it. BUT, as it liquifies everything that is in your gut, it is unlikely you will get pain with 'not getting through'. that is the whole point of the prep, to clear everything so they can get a good look at what is happening in there.

The procedure is quick and painless, and you are mostly 'out of it' due to the aneasthesia.

Elusivebutterfly Sat 24-Sep-22 10:51:43

The system does vary in different hospitals.
When I had a colonoscopy, I was given an enema to self administer at home, which I was quite unable to do - I had to get a nurse in the department to do it and use the hospital toilets. Neither did they offer sedation, nor tea and a snack afterwards. The neighbouring hospital does offer sedation and the liquid prep.
Neither hospital gives you a diet for the previous days.

Matelda Sat 24-Sep-22 11:17:12

I have these regularly - I guess I've had more than twenty over many years. Yes, the worst thing is the bowel preparation day. Do follow the diet guidelines and don't worry too much about hunger - after you start taking the medicine your appetite vanishes. I have found that the only thing that works for me is three sachets of Picolax, and I usually have to kick up a fuss to get the third prescribed.

If you're a novice, then the procedure should be no worse than uncomfortable, though I have found that the whole thing gets more bothersome the more that I have had done. I would recommend opting for the sedative - and I now often need gas and air as well. You will be able to watch the whole procedure on a screen, and in practice you can hardly avoid it. These days they don't give you enough sedative to knock you out completely (this is a good thing) They may find one or more polyps, which can be removed during the procedure. Sometimes they may find worse, and the doctor or nurse practitioner will talk to you about this afterwards. This is why it is really important to have someone to collect you, as the effects of the sedative make it difficult to take everything in, and you need a second pair of ears.

Now that you are "in the system", you should think of this as a very good thing, as I do. My tendency to get colon cancer has been kept virtually trouble free and in the background for over 25 years now. Hopefully, you will be as fortunate.

C4role59 Sat 24-Sep-22 11:38:11

I personally found that the worst part was taking the Moviprep laxative that you have to drink. The actual colonoscopy was painless, a little uncomfortable when the camera goes around a corner but I only had gas and air. It was fascinating seeing my colon on the screen and I had one polyp that was removed and sent for analysis.

Bea65 Sat 24-Sep-22 11:48:28

Good luck OP had my last one couple of months ago and there is a thread on here so won't repeat details...