Gransnet forums

Health

👯‍♀️Hip & Knee Replacement #3 👯‍♀️

(1001 Posts)
FannyCornforth Mon 05-Dec-22 12:03:11

Hello 👋

Here is the new thread!
Thank you to regular and irregular posters all.

Especially those such as Silverling and Charleygirl who have provided so much advise and support. (There are lots of other lovely posters, but too many to list).

As well as advice, there is also much wisdom and kindness.

I will link to the first and second threads below.

Wherever you are on your replacement journey, you are most welcome to join us here smile

Charleygirl5 Tue 21-Mar-23 13:41:49

I agree, but second from the bottom within 30 seconds has never happened before and I usually check because I am aware we are second-class citizens.

susytish Wed 22-Mar-23 11:51:35

Maybe if we put lots of messages/updates on, it will keep us at the top of the list?

silverlining48 Wed 22-Mar-23 14:06:04

That is what we try to do but even then it often fails to get onto Active. Its a mystery. So here we go... Pressing Post.

silverlining48 Wed 22-Mar-23 14:07:45

Nope, nothing......

Charleygirl5 Wed 22-Mar-23 18:36:02

I think we probably know our place by now.

silverlining48 Wed 22-Mar-23 18:56:03

Charleygirl I know, but how and why does it happen?

susytish Thu 23-Mar-23 21:00:40

I am now 6 weeks post right TKR, and feeling impatient. Progress is slow
I thought I would be off crutches by
now, knee would be well on its way to recovery. I bent it to 80° last week at hospital physio. I know that's good.
I get twinges everywhere, in my other leg, my hips. I have arthritis in right hip and I suppose I am worried that I will be getting pain there now.
Husband is having problems with chemo drug so that doesn't help.
Someone give me a talking to!

Aveline Thu 23-Mar-23 21:25:21

What happens if you just use a stick? I mean could you do without crutches?

Charleygirl5 Thu 23-Mar-23 22:01:38

susytish 6 weeks is nothing after a knee replacement! You are trying to run before you can walk. Please just go with the flow.

After my last knee replacement, I was in such pain at 6 weeks my GP put me back on opioids. It was a temporary blip.

Forget about your knee and concentrate on your poor husband!!!

susytish Thu 23-Mar-23 22:02:48

I try and use one crutch sometimes. I read somewhere you should use both as it keeps you centred. So I don't know.

Charleygirl5 Thu 23-Mar-23 22:07:26

I used 2 crutches and then I progressed to using one stick. I also felt unbalanced for the short time I attempted to use one only.

Your safety is paramount but please keep elevating your leg when watching TV etc.

silverlining48 Thu 23-Mar-23 23:14:20

I think recovery from replacement knee takes longer than a hip because it’s more complicated surgery. You seem to be doing well but patience is required, nil desperandum
Susy [cake]

silverlining48 Thu 23-Mar-23 23:14:48

Sorry about the cake 🍰

susytish Thu 23-Mar-23 23:22:57

Cake is good!
I know, you are all right, and I should give my thoughts to my husband. He has been so supportive, and he has his own stuff going on.
I think part of it is I want to be better for him, to do everything I did before.
Thanks everyone, much appreciated.

Charleygirl5 Fri 24-Mar-23 09:40:40

I would concentrate on that lovely man or "us lot" may move in and he would be thoroughly cared for and pampered. Concentrate on him and your knee will take care of itself, slowly getting better.

As I have said before, you have had major surgery, I know just what it is like and it takes up to a year to fully appreciate the benefits.

susytish Fri 24-Mar-23 09:59:58

Ha! You are right of course.
He has been given a chemo break while they look at effect of the drug. He will be able to have a rest.
I felt I was making progress, then yesterday everything seemed to ache, and my knee felt sore. I am conscious of my hip and it will need replacing at some point, so every ache there bothers me.
Did I see us on the active list yesterday?

FannyCornforth Fri 24-Mar-23 10:03:11

Hello Suzi I had my hip replaced in June.

It’s been miraculous in one sense, but I still suffer from lots of pain and discomfort elsewhere.

My back and feet in particular.
I’ve had terrible plantar fasciitis on and off and my ankle is currently playing up.

I can’t sit for long and I can’t be on my feet for long either.

I was really incapacitated for a couple of years prior to the op, so I just think that everything is settling down and taking its time about it.

I saw my private physio about a month ago and I was surprised, but she said that I was doing really well.

Don’t worry, and like Charley says concentrate on your husband.
Mine is in very poor health, so I really do understand your frustrations.
Don’t be hard on yourself, and practice self compassion thanks

FannyCornforth Fri 24-Mar-23 10:04:17

I cross posted with you Suzi, yes it appears that we are Active! smile

Charleygirl5 Fri 24-Mar-23 10:15:21

We will not be in Active for long as we I think are classed as second class citizens. Some people could take a leaf from our book because we are attentive and polite to each other.

silverlining48 Fri 24-Mar-23 10:19:06

We are already half way down despite only just posting.
Whatever have we done to be constantly ignored?
Ps good wishes to all

silverlining48 Fri 24-Mar-23 10:20:07

Oooooo we are no. 1 !

silverlining48 Fri 24-Mar-23 11:00:21

But only for one shining moment hmm

Charleygirl5 Fri 24-Mar-23 12:21:17

silverlining a good job you did not blink or you would have missed it.

I am sure this is why we cannot help more people because they do not know of our existence.

silverlining48 Fri 24-Mar-23 17:46:47

Indeed Charleygirl. It’s a shame but it’s been like this almost from the start. I keep meaning to ask if the other long term threads have the same problem.
Here we go...posting...

susytish Fri 24-Mar-23 23:18:08

Can't we write to 'de management'?!

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion