Gransnet forums

Health

👯‍♀️Hip & Knee Replacement #3 👯‍♀️

(1001 Posts)
FannyCornforth Mon 05-Dec-22 12:03:11

Hello 👋

Here is the new thread!
Thank you to regular and irregular posters all.

Especially those such as Silverling and Charleygirl who have provided so much advise and support. (There are lots of other lovely posters, but too many to list).

As well as advice, there is also much wisdom and kindness.

I will link to the first and second threads below.

Wherever you are on your replacement journey, you are most welcome to join us here smile

Charleygirl5 Wed 14-Dec-22 14:16:22

There are two other threads you may have missed and they are Mick's Good Morning and soop's kitchen. People on both of these threads are welcoming, pleasant and decent. There is none of the nastiness and sarcasm you see in others.

It is helpful, like this thread, that people share their ex-professional and practical knowledge. Some hospitals are generous in giving out gadgets whereas others are looking after their bank accounts. none of us wants you to waste money.

Fishwife Wed 14-Dec-22 15:06:27

Yes, I get daily email and start by following Good Morning where there are some really impressive people. Most of my dealings with the hospital are by phone and number withheld including long questionnaire by OT department on Monday where I measured chair, bed, etc. Very different from 20 years ago when OT came and inspected the house in good time.

I’ve just been arranging delivery from local co-op - a first - as temporarily worried by all the ice. First time takes forever.

Assumed I would manage but she mentioned hospital social care ?? Maybe I should be making my own arrangements sooner rather than later? Bad timing with holiday.

One does tend to go on somewhat when receive good replies.

SusieB50 Wed 14-Dec-22 15:48:06

Fishwife When I was booked for my hip replacement I contacted my late mum’s private carer to see if she could help me for a few weeks as I live alone. Mainly to help putting on the dreaded white stockings! She told me that I was entitled to a 6 week care package with social care . I contacted our council social care and they visited me once a day to help wash my feet and change my stockings for 4weeks, I gave up on the stockings after that. Give your local social care services a call when you get a date. They offered to make a cup of tea too but I was able to cope with that asDS came early each morning to give me breakfast and filled a flask for later . You will be surprised how quickly you manage to do things for yourself . I also had the benefit of my son’s very efficient cleaner for 6 weeks . If you can afford a cleaner it really does help those first few weeks .

Charleygirl5 Wed 14-Dec-22 15:59:23

I agree but you will not be applying white stockings because you are having your knee and not your hip replaced.

I also had a care package, free for 6 weeks. One lady came for around 20 minutes daily but I did not need her in the evening. I have a cleaner and she changed my bedding for me.

Do you go to the loo frequently during the night, if so are you going to cope? You will need a sturdy scarf or towel to put around your leg to get you into bed for a few days until you have full control. You will be able to lift it out okay. Maybe practise at home first?

SusieB50 Wed 14-Dec-22 16:01:48

My friend recently had a knee replacement and was given white stockings to wear for 4 weeks ?? Think it’s dependent on the consultant.

silverlining48 Wed 14-Dec-22 16:16:39

Hello fish wife welcome.
Hope you hear something soon, in the meantime we are always here to offer help and advice.

Aveline Wed 14-Dec-22 16:21:25

I had the dreaded stockings for both knee replacements and my hip replacement. You'll benefit from help with these at first Fishwife. I also had a VG sock/stocking puller onner device. I used it for ages as I loved the way it worked - simple pleasures!

Fishwife Wed 14-Dec-22 19:38:09

Lots to think about. Is private carer through agency? Where does one obtain puller-onner? For instance. I’d thought the problem would be fastening shoes.

It is still icy here so goodness knows how much elective will be put on hold.

The local co-op delivery didn’t inspire confidence. Half an hour late and meeting downstairs in the cold. Back to the drawing board - but at least there’s milk for next few days.

I’ll be keeping an eye here and coming back with any queries. Hadn’t spotted the compression stockings on say NHS site, etc.
Online.

In our hospital information the benefits of warmth and music extolled. Invited to bring in iPod, for instance.

Aveline Wed 14-Dec-22 19:39:55

I got the sock aid from Amazon. I also have comfortable slip on shoes. No laces or straps.

susytish Wed 14-Dec-22 20:47:38

I have slip on trainers but still need long handled shoe horn to put them on ! The sock putter onner is great. The problem I have is that I wear ankle socks and the sock on the dicky leg gradually works it’s way around my foot as the day goes on! I haven’t read about anyone else with this happening.
I have ordered some Drench shower wipes, need to look up the dry shampoo that was mentioned.
This site has been such a friend to us!

Charleygirl5 Thu 15-Dec-22 09:49:51

If you have shoes with shoe laces, buy elastic laces and use the shoe horn to put your shoes on.

Have you got a local Morrison's, Tesco, Sainsbury, Tesco or Asda because in my experience they are more au fait with online deliveries than the Co-op is.

Fishwife Thu 15-Dec-22 12:00:37

Hi. Getting annoyed with myself as head still not in full working order!!! I have used Sainsbury but as I”ve relied heavily on local co-op I thought I’d give it a go yesterday. They advertise service but don’t seem at all keen. We live and learn.
Luckily I had stocked up for return from hospital

Charleygirl - Thanks for info on elastic laces. Susytish - I understand about the socks. Depends on the position of the whole leg I think. I only found out in 50s that I had a deformed hip and now I’m told I’m knock-kneed on that side.

Aveline Thu 15-Dec-22 12:13:16

Sounds complicated Fishwife. It occurs to me that after your op your gait will have changed a lot. You'll most likely need new shoes as your current ones might be more worn to reflect your current way of walking with deformed hip and knock knee.

susytish Fri 16-Dec-22 15:58:19

I bought a long handled retractable black shoe horn from Amazon. It is perfect it fits inside a velvety bag and fits inside my handbag. I had a flimsy one which fell apart and wanted a sturdy one. £13.99 extra long.

silverlining48 Fri 16-Dec-22 23:06:27

That sounds very smart susytish, I took mine out yesterday and wished it had its own bag as I looked slightly ridiculous carrying it around trying to avoid jabbing passers by.
Was visiting someone I had only just met and if I took my shoes off at her house I wouldn’t get them back on without my trusty long handled shoe horn. 99 p Ikea. 8 months on and I am still using it. One of my best buys.

Charleygirl5 Sat 17-Dec-22 14:24:58

silverlining The cheapest and simplest are frequently the best.
I have never heard of a retractable shoe horn susytish so I suppose my old friend Amazon will help. Sometimes eBay is cheaper.
Fishwife have you worked out how you will carry items of food delivered to your front door from there to the kitchen? I still have problems so I try to get the trolley close by for really heavy stuff eg I buy 6 cartons of semi skimmed long life milk.

Aveline Sun 18-Dec-22 10:36:14

I just read about a new website in the Oldie. It's called 'Granny gets a grip' and is a business set up by two ladies in their 60s who have experience of looking after people as they grow older. They've road tested all the items they include for sale. I looked at the website and thought it looked good. Prices not too bad and some things I'd never thought of but like the look of eg a long thin hot water bottle among other things. I'm not advertising just passing on my findings.

Charleygirl5 Sun 18-Dec-22 17:22:58

Aveline I am definitely interested.

Sarah74 Sun 18-Dec-22 17:31:22

grannygetsagrip.com/category/living-room/

I was told about this website when getting stuff together for my elderly neighbour after her knee op. It certainly helps to have all the items in one place, to browse.

silverlining48 Mon 19-Dec-22 08:33:54

Morning knee and hipsters. I have good news which is I had a bath yesterday , the first since my new hip hop in April. It was wonderful as I have really missed my bath never having been a fan of showers.
So Ismagrf to turn onto my knees get up and get out.
Off to the dentist this morning, due to childhood school dentist trauma have been nervous ever since but needs must.
Just looked out to see that the snow has completely gone, as if it had never been.
It was still slippery last night going to and returning from my neighbour. I won’t miss it.
Have a good day everyone.

silverlining48 Mon 19-Dec-22 08:36:25

Ismagrf is I was able smile

Charleygirl5 Mon 19-Dec-22 09:26:15

Sarah thanks for that. I do not need a rollator but a friend does but their prices were outrageous. She is going to have to look elsewhere I think.

Thankfully there is no sign of snow or ice here in London and I can live with the rain provided it is on and off and not a deluge.

silverlining that sounds really good. I have not had a bath for over 10 years. I do miss it but I am used to a shower now as everything for me is to hand.

Greyduster Mon 19-Dec-22 09:56:10

I had my hip replaced three weeks ago and found a leg lifter recommended by my next door neighbour, who is an occupational therapist, to be invaluable for getting my leg and and out of bed. Bought it on Amazon. Not expensive.

Dizza25 Mon 19-Dec-22 10:36:09

Good morning everyone, I am not a regular poster but just to let you know that I had my right hip replaced last Monday. My right was done in March and I had a date for 19th September which got cancelled due to the queens funeral. The new date was 24th October which also got cancelled due to a member of staff calling in sick and no cover available. So third time lucky!!!! Timing not great with xmas around the corner but we will endeavour to have a good time.

I was very groggy this time and felt pretty out of it for a couple of days as I was under for an hour longer this time. Doing my exercises and walking on my frame regularly for short distances. Just wanted to wish you all the best for the festive season.

Aveline Mon 19-Dec-22 11:13:39

Hello Dizza! Glad you're through it although the timing isn't great. The only way is up. Meanwhile let others look after you for a while. Take it easy but keep moving!

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion