Gransnet forums

Health

Dental back tooth extraction this week. Feeling nervous.

(45 Posts)
25Avalon Sun 29-Jan-23 15:38:37

10 years ago I had a root canal and large filling on a lower back tooth. Several bits of tooth broke off during lock down and finally last week the filling came out with more tooth leaving just two sharp spikes which the dentist filed down. Now I have to have it taken out next week and I’m feeling a bit nervous as it’s a new dentist and like most I had bad experiences as a child.

I’d appreciate some assurance as to what the extraction will be like from personal experience. Will I be OK to drive home afterwards?- the dentist seemed to think I would. How long before it heals? Should I then leave it or have a transplant and what’s that like? I already have 2 crowns and four posts and not kean on having more but may be best option. I’m worried about future years now I’m 70.

silverlining48 Sun 29-Jan-23 15:44:41

I had this done last week. Similar circumstances. Am still being careful of the hole left in the gum, but managed so far not to get it infected. Or get the dry problem.
I always take a couple of diazepam prior to dental appointments which help me relax. Like you I had bad experiences as a child at the over zealous school dentist.
You will cope, we have to, and def recommend diazepam.

TillyTrotter Sun 29-Jan-23 15:45:13

I was faced with similar decisions a year ago with a back tooth. It got infected while I was deciding and choice was made then - it had to be extracted.
It does not sound as if there is much of your tooth left to get out Avalon so I think dentist is right. You will be able to drive yourself home if you need to.
I am still pondering on the transplant option. It is such a lot of money and I may try a denture first.
Plan in your mind what you can think about while the dentist is at work on your tooth. It could be silently singing a song that you know all the words to, tracing a route in your mind that you drive or walk and know well.
Whatever works as a distraction for you.
And Good Luck 💐.

silverlining48 Sun 29-Jan-23 15:46:22

I am leaving it as its towards the back. Cant face anything more being done.

TillyTrotter Sun 29-Jan-23 15:47:51

I would have a transplant if I could afford it silverlining but it’s £2,000 plus.

pascal30 Sun 29-Jan-23 15:52:19

I had a molar tooth extracted a few months ago. It had had an abcess under it.. It was not painful to extract and I took the bus home. It is important to keep doing salt mouth washes several times a day for as long as it takes to heal. I had a bit of extra tooth come out a few days after but otherwise, no dry tooth or any other problems.. I've just left a cavity as I didn't have the extra cash do anything else..

Charleygirl5 Sun 29-Jan-23 15:59:08

TillyTrotter from what I have read, one's gums have to be in tip-top condition and that is a lot of money for a trial. Any decent dentist would give you an honest opinion.

I am unsure if I could cope with a denture, even one. I am hoping my present teeth will "see me out". A lot does depend on your age.

TillyTrotter Sun 29-Jan-23 16:04:58

You are right Charleygirl and the dentist said an x ray of the jaw has to be taken and the jaw bones declared disease-free (i.e. no arthritis) to support an implant.

silverlining48 Sun 29-Jan-23 16:05:29

Nearer £3,500 I think Tilly. Dh starts his implant treatment next week.

TillyTrotter Sun 29-Jan-23 16:14:53

Gulp!!
Good luck for your DH’s treatment silverlining.

Nana56 Sun 29-Jan-23 16:22:32

I was very nervous when I had a back wisdom tooth put. I couldn't stop shaking. The dentist was fantastic and it was all done in a flash. All that worrying. I drove home and was fine. I used salt mouthwash very gently. In the end I've decided to have partial denture. No problems at all. Good luck, you'll be fine and very proud when its all done.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 29-Jan-23 16:26:05

If I were you I'd discuss all those worries with the dentist and I'm sure he will be able to reassure you. Dentistry has changed so much over the last few decades - much of it bears no resemblance to the procedures of yesteryear.

hollysteers Sun 29-Jan-23 16:28:25

I had a back molar extracted a couple of years ago, but never dreamt of having a transplant/implant.
If it’s at the back, why worry? Different if it was in the front.

Film stars used to have back teeth taken out to make their cheekbones stand out😁

Grammaretto Sun 29-Jan-23 18:06:50

I would recommend taking the bus home.
It won't or shouldn't be painful at all. You'll be numbed up but your body experiences a shock and.it could leave you feeling a bit emotional. I had 2 front teeth extracted recently and I was very glad not to be driving home.

Oldbat1 Sun 29-Jan-23 18:10:12

You will be fine. I’ve sadly said goodbye to a few teeth in recent years. Extractions nowadays I’ve found to be ok certainly 100% easier than any childhood dental experience. I drove 30miles home after a recent back tooth removal. I’ve also had two front teeth implants within last couple of years. Very expensive, takes months, however very little discomfort. I needed bone grafts which added to time it took. Good luck. Let us know how things go.

GagaJo Sun 29-Jan-23 18:42:42

I'm the worlds biggest wimp at the dentist. I've had three teeth out, of various conditions, including one where there was little left, and all have been fine. I was a nervous wreck with the last one and gave the poor dentist a terrible time, but in all honesty, it was my nerves causing the problems. I was at no point in any pain and the dentist was lovely.

Out of the three I've had removed, I've only had one where the blood clot was dislodged but it didn't turn into dry socket and was fine.

choughdancer Sun 29-Jan-23 19:34:59

I had one out two weeks ago. Lots of good advice already, just a couple to add. I would go by public transport if you can do it easily, but whether you drive or not, I would suggest taking a warm scarf to wrap around your jaw. Waiting for the train afterwards my jaw got very cold and achy as the anaesthetic wore off. No problem healing; as others have said, a salt wash helps the process. Also have an easy day afterwards; it is a shock to the system, even with a local anaesthetic. Good luck; I hope it goes well. flowers

aonk Sun 29-Jan-23 19:46:05

Almost exactly a year ago I had a back tooth taken out. I’d been given the choice of extraction or root canal and chose the former. I was very nervous but it was all over in less than 20 minutes. I drove myself there and back. I was tired afterwards and just spent the day resting. I would advise you to eat a good breakfast and have plenty to drink in case you don’t feel like eating later.

J52 Sun 29-Jan-23 19:48:00

The last one I had removed was a similar situation, back tooth, previously root canal work, but it had cracked right down to the root.
My lovely, quite competent dentist made the appointment for when the senior practitioner was on hand. I had several anaesthetic injections, timed to be completely numb. She managed to remove it all without complications.
Afterwards, I was sat in reception with the receptionist to watch over me, for 15 minutes recovery time. Then I went back into the surgery to be checked over and given care instructions . DH drove me home. All went very well. Good luck I’m sure it will be fine.

MerylStreep Sun 29-Jan-23 19:50:45

I will be having 5 out in a couple of weeks.
I didn’t know that you could have a reaction to the injections.
But on my last visit I did. I could hardly stand. They had to call my partner. They told me it was adrenaline.
They will cut down on it next time.

25Avalon Sun 29-Jan-23 20:36:21

Thanks everyone for your replies so far. When you are nervous GransNetters are a lovely lot.

FoghornLeghorn Sun 29-Jan-23 21:36:42

A word of advice. When doing the post-extraction salt water rinse, do not swish the water around. Just hold it in your mouth for a couple of minutes. The last thing you want is a dry socket where the blood clot has been dislodged. And don’t drink through a straw either. Speaking from bitter experience. 😱

Deedaa Sun 29-Jan-23 21:47:37

I had a molar extracted a couple of years ago. It had started growing sideways and was pushing against the next tooth. The dentist had a fair bit of trouble and ended up leaving part of the root in but it's been no problem since. I am the world's biggest coward when it comes to dentists but it didn't hurt and I was able to drive myself home afterwards.

MayBee70 Sun 29-Jan-23 22:16:40

FoghornLeghorn

A word of advice. When doing the post-extraction salt water rinse, do not swish the water around. Just hold it in your mouth for a couple of minutes. The last thing you want is a dry socket where the blood clot has been dislodged. And don’t drink through a straw either. Speaking from bitter experience. 😱

Good advice. Thanks. DH is having a tooth out on Tuesday. His dentists has moved and he’s having to drive to the next town to get it done. I feel a bit guilty in that I don’t like driving in strange areas now and can’t leave he dog so he has to go on his own. He’s also on blood thinners, too, which is a concern.

MayBee70 Sun 29-Jan-23 22:30:28

If it’s a back tooth, if nothing is done to replace it will it result in the teeth around it becoming loose?