Gransnet forums

Health

Dental back tooth extraction this week. Feeling nervous.

(46 Posts)
25Avalon Sun 29-Jan-23 15:38:37

10 years ago I had a root canal and large filling on a lower back tooth. Several bits of tooth broke off during lock down and finally last week the filling came out with more tooth leaving just two sharp spikes which the dentist filed down. Now I have to have it taken out next week and I’m feeling a bit nervous as it’s a new dentist and like most I had bad experiences as a child.

I’d appreciate some assurance as to what the extraction will be like from personal experience. Will I be OK to drive home afterwards?- the dentist seemed to think I would. How long before it heals? Should I then leave it or have a transplant and what’s that like? I already have 2 crowns and four posts and not kean on having more but may be best option. I’m worried about future years now I’m 70.

25Avalon Thu 02-Feb-23 15:10:14

Thank you everyone for your support. Had a relatively good night but feeling rather tired today. Probably all that adrenaline yesterday. I don’t think I could go through that again. Anyway I’ve started the salt rinses and as it heals over I expect I will feel better about it all. I’m seriously considering the implant.

TillyTrotter Wed 01-Feb-23 21:37:55

I’m happy for you too Avalon. Well done.
Keep doing salt water mouth swills and you’ll be fine.

GagaJo Wed 01-Feb-23 20:30:23

Wow, 25Avalon! I was thinking about you today. As much as I hate the dentist, I'm always happy with how it went, afterwards. Glad that was your experience too!

Oldbat1 Wed 01-Feb-23 19:56:21

25Avalon I am pleased it went well. What a relief it is when things turn out not as bad as you expected.

Sparklefizz Wed 01-Feb-23 15:37:33

Well done 25Avalon. Scrambled eggs for you if you're hungry.

25Avalon Wed 01-Feb-23 14:58:28

I’m back!! Was very nervous but got a grip. Went ok. Now just got to let everything settle for a couple of days. Recommended I then leave it for 3 or 4 months before deciding whether to leave gap, have a bridge or an implant so no rush. Got to go back for general check up for rest of teeth in a month’s time when there will probably be lots more to do - groan.

Anyway dentist was very nice and I came out smiling with relief that it was done. Just feeling rather hungry!!

annodomini Wed 01-Feb-23 10:17:40

"Why not ask the dentist or her receptionist in advance if you could have an intravenous tranquilliser? Lovely!"

If you took that advice, you certainly wouldn't be able to drive home. Over the years I've had a few extractions and even after the most traumatic one, I drove home safely.

TillyTrotter Wed 01-Feb-23 10:02:29

Best that tooth is gone MayBee .
I hope your husband stays calm and rested as he will be very wound-up until he can start taking the blood thinners again.

Callistemon21 Tue 31-Jan-23 23:34:30

Yes, DH was told that you're supposed to go to A&E if you're on blood thinners, cut yourself and can't stop the bleeding!

MayBee70 Tue 31-Jan-23 23:18:56

Been on antibiotics for a while. Ever since he’s been on blood thinners he’s convinced he’s going to bleed to death. But after being diagnosed with a blood clot in his leg and being put on blood thinners he hasn’t been seen by a doctor. Just has a blood test every now and again.

Callistemon21 Tue 31-Jan-23 23:09:56

Hope he recovers well, Maybee.
Did he have to have antibiotics too?

MayBee70 Tue 31-Jan-23 23:06:42

He had it removed this morning. Had an abscess in the gum so it needed to be taken out. Seems to be ok thus far. But having to stop taking his blood thinners means his varicose vein is painful again. Suffers from white coat syndrome and won’t see anyone about it.

Callistemon21 Tue 31-Jan-23 22:38:01

MayBee70

If it’s a back tooth, if nothing is done to replace it will it result in the teeth around it becoming loose?

No, I had the second molar along at the top removed many years ago and my other teeth are fine. The gap annoys me, though, although it doesn't show at all.
On reflection I wish I'd had a crown but our dentist at the time wasn't very good and didn't explain the options properly.

An implant wouldn't be worth it for a back tooth (unless you are a film star).
Is it not possible to have a crown? Could a post be fitted first?

25Avalon Tue 31-Jan-23 21:50:35

Tomorrow’s the day. Postings have been very helpful. Let you know how I get on.

Sparklefizz Mon 30-Jan-23 15:25:12

MayBee70

If it’s a back tooth, if nothing is done to replace it will it result in the teeth around it becoming loose?

That hasn't happened with my teeth.

Caleo Mon 30-Jan-23 15:21:30

Why not ask the dentist or her receptionist in advance if you could have an intravenous tranquilliser? Lovely!

choughdancer Mon 30-Jan-23 14:34:30

I was told not to eat anything crunchy for a day or two; I was delighted to be advised to eat ice-cream! One bit of advice I was surprised at was not to spit until the next day; I imagine this was so that the natural healing 'juices' in the mouth weren't spat out. I asked about cleaning my teeth and they said to swallow rather than rinse.

Shinamae Mon 30-Jan-23 12:32:05

I had a failed bridge, and five teeth out three weeks ago, replaced by a denture (😬) no problems except obviously sore,tender gums .. have to take denture out to eat …🥹

edithjc Mon 30-Jan-23 11:01:15

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

silverlining48 Sun 29-Jan-23 22:44:45

Was told by the dentist they won’t get loose. Hope he’s right!

MayBee70 Sun 29-Jan-23 22:30:28

MayBee70 Sun 29-Jan-23 22:16:40

FoghornLeghorn

A word of advice. When doing the post-extraction salt water rinse, do not swish the water around. Just hold it in your mouth for a couple of minutes. The last thing you want is a dry socket where the blood clot has been dislodged. And don’t drink through a straw either. Speaking from bitter experience. 😱

Good advice. Thanks. DH is having a tooth out on Tuesday. His dentists has moved and he’s having to drive to the next town to get it done. I feel a bit guilty in that I don’t like driving in strange areas now and can’t leave he dog so he has to go on his own. He’s also on blood thinners, too, which is a concern.

Deedaa Sun 29-Jan-23 21:47:37

I had a molar extracted a couple of years ago. It had started growing sideways and was pushing against the next tooth. The dentist had a fair bit of trouble and ended up leaving part of the root in but it's been no problem since. I am the world's biggest coward when it comes to dentists but it didn't hurt and I was able to drive myself home afterwards.

FoghornLeghorn Sun 29-Jan-23 21:36:42

A word of advice. When doing the post-extraction salt water rinse, do not swish the water around. Just hold it in your mouth for a couple of minutes. The last thing you want is a dry socket where the blood clot has been dislodged. And don’t drink through a straw either. Speaking from bitter experience. 😱

25Avalon Sun 29-Jan-23 20:36:21

Thanks everyone for your replies so far. When you are nervous GransNetters are a lovely lot.