Gransnet forums

Health

Do we need supplements

(88 Posts)
RIJ146 Sun 05-Feb-23 19:13:22

I am an active 75 year old, as in taking the dog short walks everyday and longer ones on a Sunday with hubby. Go to zumba class once a week. Eat a balanced diet, well I try to anyway. Have odd aches and pains but nothing major. We have both been taking supplements for years, as in vitamin D, turmeric, and joint care supplements, amongst others. Am I wasting my time and money

Norah Sun 05-Feb-23 19:15:28

No, you're not wasting money. Or we are as well. Ten a day, here.

V3ra Sun 05-Feb-23 19:17:23

If I stop taking my Glucosamine my knees soon tell me about it!

Sago Sun 05-Feb-23 19:24:24

I’m a supplement addict, Magnesium, Vit D, D-Mannose, NAC and I eat chia seeds on my morning yoghurt.

fancythat Sun 05-Feb-23 20:09:20

Well it appears to be working for you.

I dont take a thing and am fine. but I am much younger. And have never had the energy you appear to have. Plus everyone is differently made up anyway. [The way covid affected people in different ways showed people that if nothing else].

I do find oily fish keeps my knees in good working order. So far, anyway.

M0nica Sun 05-Feb-23 20:35:27

I have just been assessed in case i have osteoporosis. The doctor asked if I took a vitamin D supplement and was very approving when I said 'yes'

I have taken a broad spectrum vitamin, mineral etc supplement for years.

I take it because, good diet or not, and it is good. I now eat far less than I did in my prime and if I am eating less food, I must also be consuming smaller quantities of vitamins, minerals etc, so need to get the rest of them from somewhere else and the obvious way is supplements.

ExperiencedNotOld Sun 05-Feb-23 20:39:21

I’ll continue to hedge my bets and carry on taking D3, B12/B complex, magnesium and calcium, I eat plenty of fruit and veg daily, drink enough and don’t eat too much rubbish. Isn’t that the best any of us can do without being too extreme.?

Yammy Sun 05-Feb-23 20:40:40

You should if you have a balanced diet get all your vitamins etc. from your diet. I am encouraged to take vitamin D tablets, especially in winter.

M0nica Sun 05-Feb-23 22:09:51

But Yammy what if you are eating far less than you used to? I certainly am. I must be eating half the amont of vitamins etc.

lemsip Sun 05-Feb-23 22:18:36

I take selenium, kelp, vitB12. odourless garlic. calcium every day and various others occasionally aswell.

Georgesgran Sun 05-Feb-23 22:34:37

Taking too many supplements just leads to very expensive urine, as the body will expel what it doesn’t need. I take VitD and cod liver oil - my DF swore by the latter and lived to be 96.

Pittcity Sun 05-Feb-23 23:12:51

Make sure your GP and pharmacist knows exactly what you are taking. I was taking what I thought was a harmless multivitamin and it caused liver damage because I was overdosing and my body couldn't clear it quickly enough. Luckily the liver can regenerate but I'll never take unprescribed supplements again

Blossoming Sun 05-Feb-23 23:33:14

Do we need supplements

I can’t answer for anybody else but I have a vitamin D deficiency and take a supplement recommended by my endocrinologist. I am on a lot of prescription meds and don’t take anything not recommended by my healthcare team.

Blossoming Sun 05-Feb-23 23:37:04

There seem to be a few people taking calcium supplements. Please don’t do this without speaking to a doctor, it can cause the body to start shedding calcium by interfering with the blood calcium levels.

BigBertha1 Mon 06-Feb-23 06:43:48

Just vit D here on Drs advice.

Humduh Mon 06-Feb-23 11:11:01

I was told by a customer to take Glucosamine for my bad knees but will wait to see a medic. She offered me hers as she did not trust me to buy the right one but that would leave her without. Will talk to GP appointment next week. Apart from that do use multi vitamins Inc d which gp advised

foxie48 Mon 06-Feb-23 11:26:18

I have a good varied diet but I do take vit D in the winter.

Marydoll Mon 06-Feb-23 11:26:36

I have Vitamin D deficiency, so am on prescribed supplements. My body doesn't retain it, due to medications.
Vitamin D toxicity is usually caused by large doses of vitamin D supplements, so if you don't need it, in my opinion, you shouldn't be taking it. Only a blood test can show if you have a deficiency.

I have a healthy diet and do not take anything else. I'm fortunate in that frequent blood tests usually identify any problems.

Marydoll Mon 06-Feb-23 11:27:28

Blossoming

There seem to be a few people taking calcium supplements. Please don’t do this without speaking to a doctor, it can cause the body to start shedding calcium by interfering with the blood calcium levels.

Well said Blossoming.

ExperiencedNotOld Mon 06-Feb-23 11:39:04

My great uncle lived to 99 on 40 woodbines and half a bottle of whisky a day. I really do think it’s more genetics rather than what you imbibe that gets you to an advanced age - but I’ll hedge my bets on that too!

ExperiencedNotOld Mon 06-Feb-23 11:41:28

Yes, I am taking them but am building bone after surgery. Caution is recommended.

Poppyred Mon 06-Feb-23 11:47:17

I take a probiotic and kefir daily, also calcium tablet prescribed by G.P. Eat a very healthy diet, less than half what I used to eat - I think people eat far too much! 3 meals a day is just a bad habit.

Grantanow Mon 06-Feb-23 11:50:50

I guess it all depends on your genetics and food intake. Some supplements can cause trouble as noted above. I take folic acid on GP prescription. Otherwise, vit D in the winter. Also cherry extract for gout prevention and magnesium against cramps. Occasionally, vit C as I've given up orange juice (too much sugar).

pandapatch Mon 06-Feb-23 12:22:34

Our GP says everyone should take vitamin D supplements all year round

MayBee70 Mon 06-Feb-23 16:06:14

Grantanow

I guess it all depends on your genetics and food intake. Some supplements can cause trouble as noted above. I take folic acid on GP prescription. Otherwise, vit D in the winter. Also cherry extract for gout prevention and magnesium against cramps. Occasionally, vit C as I've given up orange juice (too much sugar).

I’ve read several articles that say that orange juice is really bad for you as it causes a huge sugar spike. One of them said that they regard orange juice as being as unhealthy as eg cola drinks.