Gransnet forums

Health

Do we need supplements

(89 Posts)
RIJ146 Sun 05-Feb-23 19:13:22

I am an active 75 year old, as in taking the dog short walks everyday and longer ones on a Sunday with hubby. Go to zumba class once a week. Eat a balanced diet, well I try to anyway. Have odd aches and pains but nothing major. We have both been taking supplements for years, as in vitamin D, turmeric, and joint care supplements, amongst others. Am I wasting my time and money

SueDonim Mon 06-Feb-23 19:05:40

We take a general multivitamin and now also vegan Omega 3. I think we have a reasonable diet but as Monica says, we eat less overall and because I have gone off fish in a major way, we likely don’t get enough Omega 3.

It’s a relatively small cost and we’ll probably stop the multivitamins over the summer when there are more salads and Betty fruits around.

SueDonim Mon 06-Feb-23 19:06:06

Berry fruits! I don’t know what Betty fruits are. grin

M0nica Mon 06-Feb-23 22:53:45

It depends how much orange juice you drink. One small glass a day, is considered sufficient and unlikely to give a sugar spike.

Drinking large glasses of orange juice and more than once a day is when it gets unhealthy.

growstuff Mon 06-Feb-23 23:17:02

MayBee70

Grantanow

I guess it all depends on your genetics and food intake. Some supplements can cause trouble as noted above. I take folic acid on GP prescription. Otherwise, vit D in the winter. Also cherry extract for gout prevention and magnesium against cramps. Occasionally, vit C as I've given up orange juice (too much sugar).

I’ve read several articles that say that orange juice is really bad for you as it causes a huge sugar spike. One of them said that they regard orange juice as being as unhealthy as eg cola drinks.

Orange juice contains as much sugar as cola drinks. Just eat an orange! It contains sugar, but also has fibre. It's impossible to avoid all sugars, so I make sure that I'm at least getting some good stuff with the sugars I eat.

I eat so much uncooked salad that I doubt very much if I lack Vitamin C. The only supplement I take is Vitamin D. I have blood tests at least once a year for all sorts of reasons and Vitamin D deficiency is the only one which has ever been flagged up.

Chestnut Mon 06-Feb-23 23:57:18

MayBee70

Grantanow

I guess it all depends on your genetics and food intake. Some supplements can cause trouble as noted above. I take folic acid on GP prescription. Otherwise, vit D in the winter. Also cherry extract for gout prevention and magnesium against cramps. Occasionally, vit C as I've given up orange juice (too much sugar).

I’ve read several articles that say that orange juice is really bad for you as it causes a huge sugar spike. One of them said that they regard orange juice as being as unhealthy as eg cola drinks.

Orange juice gives me acid skin and horrible itching around the chin and neck, like hives. Find out which fruits are good for you from the Blood Group Diet. Mine are cranberry, cherries, plums, grapes.

Chestnut Tue 07-Feb-23 00:01:11

Another supplement addict here.

Cod Liver Oil (joints)
Glucosamine (joints)
Multi Vitamins for over 70s
Bilberry (for the eyes)
Retinex (for the eyes)

I've also started probiotic capsules for the gut.

Juliet27 Tue 07-Feb-23 02:25:15

I take D3 daily
Magnesium
Turmeric

I add ground flax seed to breakfast cereal/yoghurt
Having read how beneficial almonds are I’ve started grinding those and adding them too….easier on the teeth!

Franbern Tue 07-Feb-23 16:39:51

Personally, I do not take ANYTHING outside of prescription medication.

Most over the counter supplements do a wondeerful job for making the compannies that sell them rich, but little else.

Grandma70s Tue 07-Feb-23 16:48:24

My brother, a professor of pharmacology, says nobody needs vitamin supplements if they have a good mixed diet. I think vitamin D can be a good idea, though.

M0nica Tue 07-Feb-23 17:12:13

Grandma70 If your appetite halves, presumably you are only taking in half the amount you get from your 'good mixed diet'.

What then?

SachaMac Tue 07-Feb-23 17:41:00

I just take one daily supplement that contains Vit D, Magnesium, Zinc & calcium. A blood test showed my levels of Vit D were low.

Yiayia4 Tue 07-Feb-23 17:54:06

I was told by my rheumatologist to take VitD very important.You can never get enough sun in this country.

heath480 Tue 07-Feb-23 18:00:55

I am 75 next week.I take,Turmeric,Magnesium,zinc,vit D,vit B and New Zealand fish oil.I walk my dog and swim 1,000metres every single day.I have the odd aches but nothing much.

I have lots of friends my age who have terrible mobility problems.So will carry on with my supplements.

lilypollen Tue 07-Feb-23 18:09:25

I shovel them down.
Both of us take Vit C (Sept to April), Calcium & Vit D, B12. I also take Turmeric, Plant Sterols and have Kefir yogurt and oat bran for breakfast.

Franbern Wed 08-Feb-23 08:55:32

M0nica

Grandma70 If your appetite halves, presumably you are only taking in half the amount you get from your 'good mixed diet'.

What then?

In all probability you were having far too much in the past, although as we age and take life a little slower and easier, then just need less nourishment etc. Think nature will sort it out far better than over-the-counter happy pills.

growstuff Wed 08-Feb-23 09:07:51

M0nica

What then?

Approximately 75% percent of people over 60 in the UK are overweight or obese, which is probably more dangerous health-wise than vitamin and mineral deficiencies. The chances are that they're getting too many nutrients, so halving the amount they eat will probably result in a healthier weight. If they're continuing to lose weight and become underweight, they might need some form of supplements, including easily digestible calories.

Amalegra Wed 08-Feb-23 11:25:29

M0nica

I have just been assessed in case i have osteoporosis. The doctor asked if I took a vitamin D supplement and was very approving when I said 'yes'

I have taken a broad spectrum vitamin, mineral etc supplement for years.

I take it because, good diet or not, and it is good. I now eat far less than I did in my prime and if I am eating less food, I must also be consuming smaller quantities of vitamins, minerals etc, so need to get the rest of them from somewhere else and the obvious way is supplements.

This is the same as me ! I am prescribed a Vit D supplement as due to problems with my gut over many years, my GP tells me this is of benefit. I also take multi vits/minerals, cod liver oil and Omega 3 as my diet may be good but my appetite is poor. Best to be safe than sorry I think!

NemosMum Wed 08-Feb-23 11:30:08

Marydoll

I have Vitamin D deficiency, so am on prescribed supplements. My body doesn't retain it, due to medications.
Vitamin D toxicity is usually caused by large doses of vitamin D supplements, so if you don't need it, in my opinion, you shouldn't be taking it. Only a blood test can show if you have a deficiency.

I have a healthy diet and do not take anything else. I'm fortunate in that frequent blood tests usually identify any problems.

But over-60s in these Northern climes ARE recommended by the government to take D3. Most people living in the British Isles are D3-deficient from September - March, and if you have dark skin, or cover up, you won't get enough at any time of the year in the British Isles. You would have to take a hell of a lot to overdose. I take 4000 iU / day. D3 acts as a hormone and is crucial for immune response, among other things.

Ampersand Wed 08-Feb-23 11:33:24

My GP and hospital highly recommend that everyone in the UK takes Vitamin D in the winter months - I did a lot of research and discovered that Vitamin D3 is even better for you and definitely worth the few extra pence it costs. My Orthopedic Surgeon told me 11 years ago that she expected to replace my knees within 2-5 years maximum. On a friends recommendation and once again lots of research I almost immediately started taking organic turmeric capsule with black pepper - strength 600mg daily and have never looked back. Pain which was 11 on a scale of 1-10 is now less than1/2 on a scale of 1-10.

seadragon Wed 08-Feb-23 11:34:17

I have resumed taking Co-Enzyme Q10 following a diagnosis of angina and consequent angioplasty (3 stents in cardiac vessels). The statins I had been prescribed were causing discomfort and an unpleasant trickling sensation in both legs. I've not experienced these sensations since. (I had previously found taking Co-Enzyme Q10 beneficial when I was experiencing tiredness at work.). DH has started to taking them as well as Vitamin B12 for a range of symptoms including tiredness, loss of strength and tingling in his hands. We both take Vitamin C. My daughter is a dietitian and keeps us right about our diet - fish and veg - and the supplements which are safe to take.

Milest0ne Wed 08-Feb-23 11:37:13

A doctor who is a friend said that we should drink a glass of milk and eat a banana every day, then we won't need supplements.

Gabrielle56 Wed 08-Feb-23 11:38:05

Grandma70s

My brother, a professor of pharmacology, says nobody needs vitamin supplements if they have a good mixed diet. I think vitamin D can be a good idea, though.

My pharmacist DS says similar! Vit D essential and all year round vit C maybe but he says body just gets rid of unused supplements anyway so don't be daft with them!! Although I always love a haliborange!!

Marydoll Wed 08-Feb-23 11:46:04

NemosMum

Marydoll

I have Vitamin D deficiency, so am on prescribed supplements. My body doesn't retain it, due to medications.
Vitamin D toxicity is usually caused by large doses of vitamin D supplements, so if you don't need it, in my opinion, you shouldn't be taking it. Only a blood test can show if you have a deficiency.

I have a healthy diet and do not take anything else. I'm fortunate in that frequent blood tests usually identify any problems.

But over-60s in these Northern climes ARE recommended by the government to take D3. Most people living in the British Isles are D3-deficient from September - March, and if you have dark skin, or cover up, you won't get enough at any time of the year in the British Isles. You would have to take a hell of a lot to overdose. I take 4000 iU / day. D3 acts as a hormone and is crucial for immune response, among other things.

As someone with multiple comorbidities and on a large number of medications, I would always check with my clinicians, before taking any supplements. It would be foolish not to.
Any deficiencies especially Vit D levels, are flagged up in regular blood tests. That is the way it should be.
A diagnosis of osteoporosis means I am on a Vit D supplement for life.

NanaPlenty Wed 08-Feb-23 11:54:13

I saw a dietician who told me just about everyone in the UK is D deficient. My recent bloods show this to be the case and it can cause all sorts of aches and pains so I’m taking the small recommended dose. Also B12 which after research the body only retains what it needs and you wee out the rest. I am careful as I’m
On thyroxine and don’t want to affect that but that in itself can cause problems. I think the problem these days is it’s all very confusing, too much advertising and info on the internet even in respect of what is healthy to eat and what’s not, we will all become paranoid - what happened to eating a balanced diet and five a day!

Visgir1 Wed 08-Feb-23 12:12:02

Grandma70s

Agree.. totally. All we is need is some extra Vit D.