Gransnet forums

Health

Do we need supplements

(89 Posts)
RIJ146 Sun 05-Feb-23 19:13:22

I am an active 75 year old, as in taking the dog short walks everyday and longer ones on a Sunday with hubby. Go to zumba class once a week. Eat a balanced diet, well I try to anyway. Have odd aches and pains but nothing major. We have both been taking supplements for years, as in vitamin D, turmeric, and joint care supplements, amongst others. Am I wasting my time and money

effalump Thu 09-Feb-23 14:44:36

Yes, I think we need (good quality) supplements because most 'fresh' fruit and veg have either been grown in depleted soil and/or sprayed with chemicals to make them last longer as a lot of them are kept for weeks before being sold.

MayBee70 Thu 09-Feb-23 14:46:56

I don’t see how our bodies can get enough VitD is we’re fully clothed. And I wear sun bloc on my face, too.

growstuff Thu 09-Feb-23 15:25:47

Before supplementing with magnesium, please Google "dangers of magnesium".

Gossamerbeynon1945 Thu 09-Feb-23 15:39:34

I take Vitamin D3 and have done for very many years. I also take calcium Vitamin B12 and FolicAcid, As advised by a doctor many years ago. I was recently told that I may have Osteoperosis and that is why I take Calcium, I also have AMD.

RIJ146 Thu 09-Feb-23 16:37:45

Thank you for all your input, still confused but obviously the one I should continue to take is vitamin D, will do a bit more research on the others

halfpint1 Thu 09-Feb-23 17:04:55

Bijou

I take Vitamin D, turmeric/black pepper, cod liver oil, iron.
Have a Guiness a day. Avoid oranges, blueberries and tomatoes which are bad for arthritis. Found glucosamine useless. Have a lot of salads and an apple a day.

I was suprised to read that. Oranges and blueberries are
good for Arthritis as they contain Vitamin C
Tomatoes are the only bad guys. Please check it out Bijou.

growstuff Thu 09-Feb-23 17:37:57

It appears that even tomatoes aren't really "bad guys":

www.webmd.com/rheumatoid-arthritis/ss/slideshow-rheumatoid-arthritis-food-myths-and-facts

There are loads of other links about this.

growstuff Thu 09-Feb-23 17:40:21

This scientific article claims that blueberries can even be beneficial with osteoarthritis:

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6413191/#:~:text=Blueberries%20Improve%20Pain%2C%20Gait%20Performance,with%20Symptomatic%20Knee%20Osteoarthritis%20%2D%20PMC&text=The%20.,gov%20means%20it's%20official.

Brigidsdaughter Thu 09-Feb-23 18:05:37

I used take a lot. Currently I take Vitamin D as I was very deficient a few years back. Plus I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis where low Vit D is a symptom. I also take vitamins for my eyes as Mam had Macular Degeneration and her sister Glaucoma.
In a couple of months I'll be on a food programme by Zoe, linked to Tim Spector and Joinzoe. Their podcasts are fascinating. Definitely worth listening too.
I've been making Kefir and Kombucha for a month or two also

MayBee70 Thu 09-Feb-23 19:09:43

Brigidsdaughter

I used take a lot. Currently I take Vitamin D as I was very deficient a few years back. Plus I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis where low Vit D is a symptom. I also take vitamins for my eyes as Mam had Macular Degeneration and her sister Glaucoma.
In a couple of months I'll be on a food programme by Zoe, linked to Tim Spector and Joinzoe. Their podcasts are fascinating. Definitely worth listening too.
I've been making Kefir and Kombucha for a month or two also

ZOE really is the way forward for health isn’t it. I did complain that their diet recommendations were far too expensive for most people but a recent one was about healthy eating on a budget. I don’t know whether to buy Tim’s book or if it will just end up on the shelf with my other unread books. I just seem to be a podcast person these days.

rubysong Fri 10-Feb-23 07:56:11

Doctor has just put me on iron tablets as a blood test showed I am anaemic, with no apparent reason. During the conversation about diet etc. she asked if I drank tea soon after meals. I didn't know that the tea prevents the absorption of iron so now I wait an hour before having a cuppa.

M0nica Fri 10-Feb-23 19:45:36

effalump I agree with you. This is why I try to grow as much of my own fruit and veg as I can or buy organic.

Allex50 Wed 27-Mar-24 12:29:26

There's no such thing as a superfood. Blueberries it was a while ago. All foods have a share of nutrients but never all of them. The last fruit which had them all and more was the tree of life in the garden of Eden (that pair messed it up for us!). It's difficult finding a supp which is genuine (can we even trust Zoe and the other respected ones?). I take vit D and pop in a magnesum, Zinc, B complex every few days (on the basis ones normal diet is sparodic in taking in nutrients so may as well treat supps the same and no risk of overdosing on them. Cost as well of course. Grow my own veg for most of the year and make own bread form organic flour. Only consume organic oild esp Rapeseed and Olive. Trouble is I LIKE cakes!