Gransnet forums

Health

Night nurse. No more *GNHQ intervening to say 'kind of' and to suggest reading the thread*

(56 Posts)
karmalady Tue 14-Mar-23 16:28:05

www.walesonline.co.uk/news/health/covonia-day-night-nurse-among-26468669

urgently withdrawn from sale

I know some people use it

www.gransnet.com/forums/health/1321857-Night-Nurse

FannyCornforth Wed 15-Mar-23 03:37:20

Night Nurse does not contain pholcodine, which is the substance in question

FannyCornforth Wed 15-Mar-23 03:38:06

ixion

GSK Night Nurse is not listed, it would seem.
It doesn't appear (unlike the Day Nurse) to contain pholcodine, in my reading.

Quite right.

NotSpaghetti Wed 15-Mar-23 07:09:45

I read that the problem is known to persist in the body for a year and a study from Norway shows it is a (lesser) problem for 3 years.

I suppose most of us don't know if we might need surgery in the next three years. Norway banned this use of pholcodine in 2007. The evidence is such that I think we should just suck this one up (so to speak!).

GagaJo Wed 15-Mar-23 10:04:15

NotSpaghetti

I read that the problem is known to persist in the body for a year and a study from Norway shows it is a (lesser) problem for 3 years.

I suppose most of us don't know if we might need surgery in the next three years. Norway banned this use of pholcodine in 2007. The evidence is such that I think we should just suck this one up (so to speak!).

Have you got a link for this NS? I'd like to read it.

NotSpaghetti Wed 15-Mar-23 10:08:01

It's based on the Norway study - they checked to see what difference banning it had made. The study only covered 3 years - hence the 36 months. I will look for the actual study.
It's mentioned here:

www.sciencemediacentre.org/expert-reaction-to-the-mhra-withdrawing-pholcodine-containing-cough-and-cold-medicines-from-the-uk-market-as-a-precautionary-measure/

NotSpaghetti Wed 15-Mar-23 10:10:06

Just found this GagaJo - it's a more recent study than the one I read-
I will go away and read this one now!

pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27859358/

ixion Wed 15-Mar-23 16:48:10

FannyCornforth

ixion

GSK Night Nurse is not listed, it would seem.
It doesn't appear (unlike the Day Nurse) to contain pholcodine, in my reading.

Quite right.

Indeed.

ixion Wed 15-Mar-23 16:52:18

Was this the original title of the thread?
I have now read and re-read it, but don't understand it.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 15-Mar-23 16:55:04

Nor do I.

FannyCornforth Wed 15-Mar-23 17:01:09

The original title said ‘Night Nurse, No More’
And then the opening post went on to say that Night Nurse has been withdrawn; which it hasn’t.

FannyCornforth Wed 15-Mar-23 17:03:07

I think that what GN are trying to say is, ‘read the thread and you’ll realise that the op is incorrect’

It was actually me who reported it for its inaccuracy

pen50 Sat 18-Mar-23 11:19:51

Day Nurse is the only thing which reasonably suppresses my colds; my nose always turns into Niagara ☹️. I shall be sorry to lose it.

icanhandthemback Sat 18-Mar-23 11:56:09

I took Day and Night Nurse capsules because I am diabetic but I guess if Night Nurse liquid is still available I will have to take that. I always took Gees Linctus before they removed that.

I think it is a bit like the aspirin thing with children under 12. A rare reaction and it is removed from every child. When our boy needed something in the middle of the night where there was no ibuprofen in sight, our GP said he had to make us aware of the risks of giving aspirin but he was sure it would be ok. It was.

Caleo Sat 18-Mar-23 12:16:14

Are there any healthy cough suppressant remedies? When you have a persistent cough that produces no sputum you really ought to ask the GP about its treatment.

Zeddy Sat 18-Mar-23 14:24:04

It’s Pholcodine they are removing, that’s the stuff that helps coughs

mulberry7 Sat 18-Mar-23 15:11:29

UK lady told me that if you cut an onion in half and leave it at your bedside table, your cough will disappear overnight. Guess what! She was right! It worked for me anyway.

cc Sat 18-Mar-23 15:25:56

Dollymixtures

This is ridiculous, don’t you think? A product which actually works and helps with coughs (I suffered for more than six months with a persistent cough) has to be withdrawn. I believe it’s not good if you’re going to undergo surgery with a general anaesthetic so why can’t those people just be told not to take cough medicines? Instead of penalising everyone as usual!

If you're going to have any sort of procedure they always speak to you about what medications you take anyway, it would be very simple to include these medications.
And, let's face it, if you have a streaming cold you're not going to have any sort of procedure are you?

vampirequeen Sat 18-Mar-23 17:43:29

Covina reminds me of my childhood when the GP would give me the Linctus every winter due to chronic bronchitis. It's my first turn to med whenever I get a chesty cough.

Oreo Sat 18-Mar-23 17:49:51

Night Nurse is hellish stuff.

GrannyRose15 Sat 18-Mar-23 21:45:37

Oh this must be a sign that they are effective. Anything that really works is eventually withdrawn from sale for our own protection.

Who remembers phenegan or triludan, or co-proxomol? There was also a pain killer, the name of which I can't remember, that contained a muscle relaxant that was taken off the shelves.

We plebs cannot be trusted to weigh up the risks of such things. The nanny state has to step in.

NotSpaghetti Sat 18-Mar-23 21:59:42

cc - how do you know you won't need a procedure in the next (say) 3 years?

nanna8 Sat 18-Mar-23 22:02:16

Oh I had never heard of it and at first I thought it was some person who came to the house at night! They withdraw things here at the drop of a hat,so to speak. That is if they ever allow it in the first place. They are real Nannies in this country, they treat us all like naughty children. Forget the impressions of free ranging, bronzed life guards .

NotSpaghetti Sat 18-Mar-23 22:03:20

You can buy phenegan according to the NHS.

www.nhs.uk/medicines/promethazine/

Nannan2 Sat 18-Mar-23 23:22:25

LadyGracie- covonia tastes Disgusting! 🤢🤮

Nannan2 Sat 18-Mar-23 23:25:42

Mulberry7- i will try that tonight..if i can find an onion.....😄