Gransnet forums

Health

Night nurse. No more *GNHQ intervening to say 'kind of' and to suggest reading the thread*

(55 Posts)
karmalady Tue 14-Mar-23 16:28:05

www.walesonline.co.uk/news/health/covonia-day-night-nurse-among-26468669

urgently withdrawn from sale

I know some people use it

www.gransnet.com/forums/health/1321857-Night-Nurse

LadyGracie Tue 14-Mar-23 16:35:24

I love the taste and smell of Corvonia.

ixion Tue 14-Mar-23 16:36:28

GSK Night Nurse is not listed, it would seem.
It doesn't appear (unlike the Day Nurse) to contain pholcodine, in my reading.

HousePlantQueen Tue 14-Mar-23 16:44:34

I don't use Night Nurse but I am a big fan of Covonia 'shots' when I have a cough.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 14-Mar-23 16:49:03

I have always found Day Nurse and Night Nurse to be very good. It will be a shame if one or both are withdrawn.

Casdon Tue 14-Mar-23 17:08:13

I always keep Night Nurse and Day Nurse in the house, in fact I’m using them now as I have a dreadful cold at the moment. I think they will reformulate them to exclude the ingredient which is risky, hopefully with no detriment to effectiveness.

Grantanow Tue 14-Mar-23 17:20:56

'Simple Linctus' Infindcquite good for coughs and it hasn't been withdrawn.

Grantanow Tue 14-Mar-23 17:21:23

I find quite good. Fat fingers.

MawtheMerrier Tue 14-Mar-23 17:26:56

Noooooooooo!

I have just finished a bottle!
First I had bought for years too

Casdon Tue 14-Mar-23 17:31:56

I think Night Nurse liquid is still available from looking closely at the list, but capsules, and Day Nurse liquid and capsules are all banned.

Dollymixtures Tue 14-Mar-23 17:36:51

This is ridiculous, don’t you think? A product which actually works and helps with coughs (I suffered for more than six months with a persistent cough) has to be withdrawn. I believe it’s not good if you’re going to undergo surgery with a general anaesthetic so why can’t those people just be told not to take cough medicines? Instead of penalising everyone as usual!

Blossoming Tue 14-Mar-23 17:42:37

I couldn’t read the Wales Online link as it was flooded with pop up adverts. Here’s a link to the BBC article. www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-64951267

Urmstongran Tue 14-Mar-23 17:47:56

I wonder Dollymixtures that a risk, once assessed, cannot be ignored? What if a regular user needed surgery unexpectedly?

welbeck Tue 14-Mar-23 17:56:23

on the news they said it was due to a rare allergic reaction.
i wondered if it was part of the tightening up after the opioid scandal in usa, not to allow non-prescription opioids, and severely restrict prescribed ones.
i had assumed it was about the decongestant, phenylephrine, which i find v useful on occasions.
read on GN that cannot take with medication for high BP, but don't find that mentioned in the amlodipine PIL (patient information leaflet).

GagaJo Tue 14-Mar-23 18:12:35

Ooooo bugger. I'm on amlodipine and took Night Nurse last night. As it is, it massively didn't agree with me and won't be taking it again.

Gave me a terrible headache.

midgey Tue 14-Mar-23 18:23:20

The risk is for up to a year!

welbeck Tue 14-Mar-23 18:30:06

well i have continued taking cold/flu remedy capsule occasionally, since starting amlodipine, and found no problem.
but i only ever take one, not two, occasionally.

Hetty58 Tue 14-Mar-23 18:35:54

GagaJo, those with high blood pressure (and/or a long list of other conditions) should not take decongestants. There's a problem with buying medicines in supermarkets - then failing to check (with a GP or pharmacist) whether they are safe or suitable.

JaneJudge Tue 14-Mar-23 18:39:38

Hetty58

GagaJo, those with high blood pressure (and/or a long list of other conditions) should not take decongestants. There's a problem with buying medicines in supermarkets - then failing to check (with a GP or pharmacist) whether they are safe or suitable.

my friend had an episode and was admitted to hospital and they said his blood pressure was through the roof...they then asked if he had taken any cold/flu medication, which he had! he was very obviously told not to take it again and had no further issues with his blood pressure which was and is normally well controlled

welbeck Tue 14-Mar-23 18:48:28

well i'll take another look at the amlodipine PIL, but i've read it twice, can't see it mentioned.

kittylester Tue 14-Mar-23 18:50:41

MawtheMerrier

Noooooooooo!

I have just finished a bottle!
First I had bought for years too

Buy another one quick!!!

GagaJo Tue 14-Mar-23 19:35:09

She can have the rest of mine. Only one spoonful measured out.

Marmight Tue 14-Mar-23 21:52:21

I tried Night Nurse once after covid for the continuous cough which kept me awake. I slept but had the mother & father of hangover symptoms on waking 🥴. Never again!

NotSpaghetti Tue 14-Mar-23 21:57:29

It was withdrawn I understand, 3 months ago in the EU.

FannyCornforth Wed 15-Mar-23 03:33:37

Night Nurse is still available.

It’s Day & Night Nurse Capsules that have been withdrawn