Gransnet forums

Health

Mild Cognitive Impairment?

(85 Posts)
HarlemShuffle Sun 26-Mar-23 11:28:34

DH is 70. Both his mother and her mother had dementia. I don't know if that's relevant. He's also losing his hearing, despite having hearing aids, and has quite bad arthritis.

Physically, he has now had to give up work, as he just couldn't do it any more. That was the end of last year. Since then, there have been a number of worrying incidents:

He couldn't work out how to get out of the car. I had to show him where the door handle was. We have had the car for four years.

He put the clocks on for me last night, but only by half an hour. That was confusing!

His driving has become very erratic, often drifting across lanes on the motorway. Frightening for me as a passenger but he won't let me drive.

I will tell him where I am going and when I am leaving/returning and afterwards he will ask me the same questions repeatedly.

I said I was going to arrange to go and see my oldest friend, but he didn't seem to know who she was.

There is no hope of getting him to a doctor. Does this sound like mild cognitive impairment, or does it sound more like something that is going to develop into a real problem?

Throughout our marriage it has been one thing after another and I had hoped that once we both stopped working (I'm due to stop in November) we would have a happy retirement, but now I'm afraid that this won't happen.

Does anyone have any advice , or experiences to share?

icanhandthemback Tue 28-Mar-23 12:24:44

I certainly agree with the Power of Attorney. Even with one, you find that it can be difficult to navigate some medical professionals but it certainly helps especially if lack of capacity make decisions impossible.

Gundy Tue 28-Mar-23 12:57:31

I am so sorry you are going through this trial - it’s very hard to accept a verdict that this has already developed into a problem. You laid out very revealing symptoms.

With the help of family and medical personnel AND if caught in the early stages (dementia), there may still be help to cope with the issues you listed.

If the car keys are withheld it will strip him of independence so expect his push-back. It is for everyone’s safety. Please do seek counsel on what you need to prepare for.
USA Gundy

oodles Tue 28-Mar-23 14:28:15

Yes powers of attorney while he s
Still can. Whatever it was. I tried to get my husband to get his parents to do them, he wouldn't, and when they were finally able to persuade them to do so it was too late for him and that caused them no end of difficulty until the end of their lives. Whether or not it's dementia or something else. To me I could see there was something wrong, and as I suspected it was (vascular) dementia, but no one listened to me, the driving was dreadful, honestly someone might not be bothered about injuring themselves but the risk to other road and pavement users is too high to risk it

Floradora9 Tue 28-Mar-23 21:08:26

For Power of Attorney you have to be of sound mind. Unless you get a sympathetic doctor he will not be able to take this out .

Luckygirl3 Tue 28-Mar-23 22:08:47

My OH and I organised powers of attorney when we were early 60s. It was a huge blessing when he became so ill. I was able to deal with the finances; and to take the hard decisions about his care.

icanhandthemback Tue 28-Mar-23 22:22:22

Floradora9, that isn't true. With Dementia, capacity is fluctuating and one day you may not be able to take in the ramifications and the other day you will. My Aunt had dementia but she could remember her children and that she wanted to leave money to them so was allowed to make a will. She was also able to give a Power of Attorney to them because whilst she couldn't remember what day of the week it was, she knew she trusted them to do what she would have wanted. It just needs those with the ability to discern whether they have capacity to be able to do those things.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 28-Mar-23 22:29:09

That’s absolutely right icanhandthemback, one day capable and the next not. That’s why it’s so important to use a solicitor who can confirm that on the day in question the person had capacity.

GrannySomerset Tue 28-Mar-23 22:36:49

I asked DH’s Parkinson’s consultant to assess his ability to drive safely as I knew that he, always an excellent driver, was losing the ability to make rapid decisions. She allowed him to drive home from his hospital appointment and we got rid of his beloved BMW within 48 hours. It was painful but he was proud to have an unblemished licence so I made much of that, and though he hated not driving he accepted the fact, though giving me a great deal of unwanted advice!

Luckygirl3 Wed 29-Mar-23 15:27:45

The first thing that alerted me to driving problems was when OH could not remember which turning to take off the roundabouts, even after reading the huge sign a few yards back.