Gransnet forums

Health

Finding the best surgeons

(38 Posts)
Luckygirl3 Wed 26-Apr-23 17:00:18

I may have to have a revision of my hip replacement and would like to find a really good surgeon as the original replacement had never been right. Does anyone know how I might achieve this?

Farzanah Sat 29-Apr-23 16:26:16

I can also recommend RJAH at Oswestry. My OH has had both hips replaced there and you should be able to request referral on NHS. PM me if you want surgeon info. My friend recommended him, she had both knees replaced and her OH both hips with same surgeon.

Gwenisgreat1 Sat 29-Apr-23 16:47:19

I had a hip replacement done in the Nuffield in Harrogate on the NHS - it was like being in a top class hotel! And the hip was good until; someone smashed it!

welbeck Sat 29-Apr-23 17:06:32

i'm not aware of having any choice in the matter.
maybe it depends on area.

Juicylucy Sat 29-Apr-23 19:19:09

My ex husband had hip replacement in Torquay private hospital in January very pleased with the result and treatment.

Glorianny Sat 29-Apr-23 19:36:05

Google it www.topdoctors.co.uk/doctor/orthopaedic-surgery/hip-replacement/
It tells you where they operate and ranks them.
My DS did it when he needed surgery and found the surgeon he was under was one of the best.

Farzanah Sun 30-Apr-23 12:45:34

This is a private commercial site isn’t it Glorianny? Where are the rankings from and do they include surgeons working in the NHS? Couldn’t see that.

Charleygirl5 Sun 30-Apr-23 13:26:46

Luckygirl if it turns out it is your hip which is at fault you have to find a surgeon who does little else but revision hips. I would look for a spinal surgeon as well so that you have an idea of his capabilities.

welbeck if one goes to one's GP without doing any research, one's name can be sent to the hospital and a receptionist or whoever will add one's name to a surgeon's list which appears to be the shortest.

Not every GP has a name for referral to each speciality so one has to do one's own research.

Farzanah Sun 30-Apr-23 13:33:25

I have requested a specific Consultant on the NHS and out of area, and have managed it. Yes you are right Charleygirl they will automatically put you on any surgeons list but you can request a specific name at that point, but it may take much longer to be seen.

Luckygirl3 Sun 30-Apr-23 13:50:05

Thank you for the idea of topdoctors ... I am not quite sure whether this is objective or whether doctors pay to be on this.

I know GP can refer to a specific consultant or hospital if I ask - but I need to have a name to give them.

Glorianny Sun 30-Apr-23 15:46:16

Sorry- yes Farzanah these are the ratings by outcomes www.boa.ac.uk/policy-engagement/publication-of-surgeon-outcomes.html

Farzanah Sun 30-Apr-23 17:37:25

Thanks Glorianny. Tried the site. Wouldn’t load. Will try later.

Jaxie Fri 05-May-23 12:04:29

I had a second hip replacement in Exeter at the Princess Elizabeth Orthopaedic Unit of the Royal & Devon & Exeter Hospital as my doctor in the small Dorset town I live in told me to go there as, “They don’t do one-size-fits-all surgery there.” I was operated on by the same surgeon with perfect end results. However, I’m aware that surgeons have to be trained. At a preliminary consultation I once asked a different surgeon how I could be sure the apprentice wasn’t carrying out the op. He answered very snappily,”Well that would be better than the cleaner doing it.” Hmmm.