Gransnet forums

Health

Colostomy Advice Please

(80 Posts)
ZACSGRANNY Wed 19-Aug-26 19:55:20

Is there anyone on here who has, or has had a colostomy?
I have been told that I need one and I'm waiting for a date. Would be interesting to talk to someone with experience as I'm feeling a little overwhelmed at the minute.

MissAdventure Wed 09-Sept-26 23:07:32

It's certainly a life changing op.
I'd be exactly the same.

The sooner they can "do" you, the better, I think.

NotSpaghetti Thu 10-Sept-26 00:30:53

I hope and believe it will be an amazing relief once you've had surgery - it was for my mum.
flowers

ZACSGRANNY Thu 10-Sept-26 10:00:57

Just had a call from my Consultant's secretary.
Surgery is scheduled for 2nd October, so not too long to wait and should be feeling a lot better by Christmas!

MissAdventure Thu 10-Sept-26 10:46:15

Oh that's excellent news.
Hopefully you'll be able to partake in the christmas goodies by then, because you'll know what you can and can't manage.

ZACSGRANNY Sat 12-Sept-26 09:12:57

I've been looking for trousers with a drawstring waist and no elastic, but no luck so far.
Anyone manage to find any?

Primrose53 Sat 12-Sept-26 09:20:04

ZACSGRANNY

I've been looking for trousers with a drawstring waist and no elastic, but no luck so far.
Anyone manage to find any?

My Mum just wore M and S elasticated waist trousers. Depends where your stoma is. She also liked loose skirts.

I know someone younger with a stoma and she wears tight skirts and skinny jeans, not sure how but she does.

Hope all goes well.

ZACSGRANNY Sat 12-Sept-26 11:54:13

Primrose53

ZACSGRANNY

I've been looking for trousers with a drawstring waist and no elastic, but no luck so far.
Anyone manage to find any?

My Mum just wore M and S elasticated waist trousers. Depends where your stoma is. She also liked loose skirts.

I know someone younger with a stoma and she wears tight skirts and skinny jeans, not sure how but she does.

Hope all goes well.

Oh that's good to know. As you say, it depends where exaclt the stoma and bag sits.

The nurse I met on Wednesday, who had a stoma, said that I might change shape after the operation. Just hope it's for the better?
I've had a sort out of my trousers and put all my larger ones together. Now sorting other stuff ready for my hospital bag.

ZACSGRANNY Wed 16-Sept-26 10:07:21

Well I've received my instruction letter from the hospital.
Arrive at 7.30am Starve from midnight and just water to take permitted tablets at 6am. Have a shower with their medicated wash the day before and again the morning before.
Interestingly no bowel prep as apparently they wash you out whilst under the anaesthetic.
Report to the day ward then you go back to another ward after surgery. Just hope all my stuff arrives with me!

Primrose53 Wed 16-Sept-26 12:04:48

I am sure it will go well. The staff will be well used to carrying out this operation and the stoma nurses are fantastic and continue to be when you come home.
Sometimes they arrange for a former patient who has had the same op to come and have a chat. I know they did when my Mum was in. A young woman in short, tight clothes came and spent time with Mum and Mum was amazed at how you would never have guessed she had a stoma bag under her tight clothes. Mum said she was lovely and had her op immediately after she had given birth as they couldn’t do it while she was pregnant.
Sending best wishes.

NotSpaghetti Wed 16-Sept-26 12:28:34

Thinking of you ZACSGRANNY and wishing you all the best.
flowers

ZACSGRANNY Wed 16-Sept-26 13:04:56

thanks

crazyH Wed 16-Sept-26 13:21:12

All the best ZACSGRANNY flowers

ZACSGRANNY Sat 19-Sept-26 13:38:17

Thanks everyone.
Totally confused as I've just received an appointment for a colonoscopy and some bowel prep!
Will have to call them on Monday as that was supposed to be cancelled.

NotSpaghetti Sat 19-Sept-26 15:09:39

WHY do these letters invariably arrive on a Saturday!

Mine always do and then leave me worried (usually over nothing)

ZACSGRANNY Sun 20-Sept-26 11:28:22

NotSpaghetti

WHY do these letters invariably arrive on a Saturday!

Mine always do and then leave me worried (usually over nothing)

Yes, me too.
Lack of communication between departments, and in this case, hospitals. For some reason, the appointment for the colonoscopy is at a different hospital, with an assessment appointment the week before!
So two appointments to reschedule and bowel prep wasted because records obviously weren't shared.

ZACSGRANNY Fri 25-Sept-26 09:49:31

Well a week from now I'll be prepped and read for surgery. Problem is that I feel a bit of a fraud as I feel OK at the moment and my bowels seem to be working.
I know I 've made the right decision and my surgeon has recommended this, but, probably because I'm scared, I'm doubting myself.
Have I made the right decision?

NotSpaghetti Fri 25-Sept-26 11:46:46

Almost certainly!
This is the problem with all sorts of "elective" and semi-elective surgery I expect.

I felt exactly like this before I had a new hip! And SO many people have "new hips". I put it off for literally years.
I had surgery on my thumb and likewise thought maybe I could just "manage".
I didn't want to start a new drug andput that off too...

I suppose it's our brains way of checking if we are sure...

If you cancel you will almost certainly feel terrible next week!

You could always call the consultant's secretary, tell her you are having a bit of a "wobble" and ask if he/she can please spend a few minutes on the phone with you.
I have found consultant's secretaries to be amazing and when I had a worry about something else my consultant called me. He was quite blunt about the options. I remembered the "why" and was very happy thereafter.

Thinking of you. flowers

ZACSGRANNY Sat 26-Sept-26 09:58:37

Thank you NotSpaghetti.
Just having a little blip.

My surgeon rang me yesterday as he received my email about bowel prep. He said not to worry as I would be having an enema.
He also confirmed that I shouldn't have a flu jab, which my GP was trying to pressure me into. Stupid woman.
Then someone from the assessment unit rang to talk about meds. All covered in my appointment. Interestingly, they asked me to take my meds in with me. Never been asked to do that before.

So I'm feeling a bit better, but still very nervous.

NotSpaghetti Sat 26-Sept-26 10:04:30

I took my medication in with me.
I think it proves you are taking what you think you are.
I can't remember if I actually took them myself of not.

NotSpaghetti Sat 26-Sept-26 10:05:49

Yes. It's just a blip probably.

How are you feeling today?

YorkLady Sat 26-Sept-26 11:17:06

When taking your meds in, my OH was told to ensure that it was in the box containing his name.
He has had bowel surgery 6 years ago and hasn’t regretted a day of having a stomach.
Good luck ZACSGRANNY, we will be thinking of you. 😊

YorkLady Sat 26-Sept-26 11:19:02

Stomach???<should read stoma.

ZACSGRANNY Sat 26-Sept-26 16:02:36

Thanks everyone.
I'm overthinking as usual.
Now I'm obsessing about having my operation on a Friday and Stoma Nurses not working over the weekend.
I know the regular nurses will be there, but I had a bad dream about being in pain and not knowing what to do and how to change my bag!

westendgirl Sat 26-Sept-26 16:21:53

All the very best Zacsgranny.

by the way Uniqlo had some nice drawstring summer trousers. They may have some autumn ones.
flowers

ZACSGRANNY Mon 28-Sept-26 09:38:42

@westendgirl thank you