Gransnet forums

Health

Colostomy Advice Please

(80 Posts)
ZACSGRANNY Wed 19-Aug-26 19:55:20

Is there anyone on here who has, or has had a colostomy?
I have been told that I need one and I'm waiting for a date. Would be interesting to talk to someone with experience as I'm feeling a little overwhelmed at the minute.

ZACSGRANNY Fri 09-Oct-26 10:45:14

Hi everyone
Quick update.
Operation on Friday went well.
Aftercare in hospital was pretty dreadful and I was glad to get home on Wednesday, despite not being 100% confident with bag changes.
Staff were mostly uncaring and the ward wasn't clean so I was so pleased to be home.
I'm now getting my head around having a stoma.
Having to use drainable bags at the moment, due to high output and large amounts of wind after Robotic Hartmanns surgery.
Trapped wind is so painful, but hey, it will get better! wink

Primrose53 Fri 09-Oct-26 12:16:22

ZACSGRANNY

Hi everyone
Quick update.
Operation on Friday went well.
Aftercare in hospital was pretty dreadful and I was glad to get home on Wednesday, despite not being 100% confident with bag changes.
Staff were mostly uncaring and the ward wasn't clean so I was so pleased to be home.
I'm now getting my head around having a stoma.
Having to use drainable bags at the moment, due to high output and large amounts of wind after Robotic Hartmanns surgery.
Trapped wind is so painful, but hey, it will get better! wink

Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear the aftercare was poor.

When my Mum had her op the Stoma nurses were brilliant and were always at the end of the phone if she needed them. Even years later they came out to her care home if we asked and helped her. I am assuming they gave you contact details so don’t be afraid to use them.

They told us everybody is different with regard to what you can eat without causing problems and that proved very true. Mum could happily eat a small portion of fish and chips as a treat but anything with pork in it caused her pain and terrible wind.

Take it easy and get well soon.

dragonfly46 Fri 09-Oct-26 12:27:24

So pleased to hear it went well but sorry to hear the after care was dismal.
I hope you get more support now you are home.

Oreo Fri 09-Oct-26 14:02:33

Take care 💐
Not the most easy of things to get used to, but you will after a while.
My Uncle had this surgery ten years ago and is fine, tho he gave up any holiday involving airports after the insensitive way he was treated ( UK airports!)