Gransnet forums

House and home

Is it worth recovering sofas?

(141 Posts)
agapanthus Sat 25-Feb-12 16:55:30

Hi! I'm new to this so here goes.
We desparately need new loose covers on our two sofas , which are about 10 years old , but one of them has a 'saggy' seat (because its in a fav position), and the feather cushions on the back are droopy. They were Collins and Hayes . I was going to get a quote for new covers ,but apart from the environmental issue I wonder if it will be worth it financially. Any views or similar expeiences please?

Novnovii Mon 01-Jul-13 06:23:59

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

MiceElf Mon 01-Jul-13 07:01:26

Reported

Nelliemoser Mon 01-Jul-13 10:21:38

If its a a good quality to start with yes!
We bought two Parker Knoll Norton recliner chairs in about 1976.

When we bought our last sofa we ordered similar fabric and had both these chairs reupholstered in that fabric.

As the style of the new sofa and chair are similar as they are now in the same fabric they look very similar and fit together very well. The style is firm and upright and the seats are not too deep. I am a short arse and my back does not do well on deep soft floppy laid back seating.

Nelliemoser Mon 01-Jul-13 10:33:49

Flipping heck! I have made the same post twice! The first was in March. Why don't people read the previous stuff! I didn't realise this was a resurrected thead. blush

dustyangel Mon 01-Jul-13 11:00:21

grin You made me laugh Nellie. I always come back to this thread in the hope that it will spur me on to find a decent upholsterer so that we can start having our Parker Knoll suite recovered. It was bought in the mid seventies as well (Norton)and is still comfortable despite looking a bit motheaten now. I keep telling DH that if we start with his chair it will be the least expensive option.

janthea Mon 01-Jul-13 12:08:56

I misread the title and thought 'Recover the sofa from where and why is it missing?' confused

mikeelaurr Mon 29-Jul-13 06:32:39

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Naestdody Mon 05-Aug-13 14:40:29

Elegran Mon 05-Aug-13 14:47:14

Reported.

Elegran Mon 05-Aug-13 14:47:46

Quaint translation.

thinggliee Thu 15-Aug-13 11:32:11

thinggliee Thu 15-Aug-13 11:33:11

Nornova Sun 18-Aug-13 05:13:23

MiceElf Sun 18-Aug-13 05:49:29

Reported

monicaarlennd Tue 17-Sep-13 07:04:20

MiceElf Tue 17-Sep-13 07:08:06

Reported

Gorki Tue 17-Sep-13 07:08:14

Reported

Elegran Tue 17-Sep-13 08:09:13

Does it never occur to these spammers that "perfectly enhances and compliments your contemporary living space" is not the way that normal people discuss things? Or that furniture does not exchange compliments - "Ooooh! you do look good today!" - even when one piece complements another?

elaerstelle Tue 17-Sep-13 09:30:13

Gorki Tue 17-Sep-13 16:23:12

Reported the fact that the website of a previous post is still visible. confused

Elegran Tue 17-Sep-13 17:41:15

Ten deleted posts from new people with peculiar names, probably spam advertising, in three pages of posts. Is this a record?

Riverwalk Tue 17-Sep-13 17:47:48

I wonder what attracted them all to a thread on sofas hmm

Maybe the word Sofa means Sex in their language! grin

Gorki Tue 17-Sep-13 20:07:54

How do people get their messages posted ? Do they actually have to join Gransnet and invent a name for themselves?

Elegran Tue 17-Sep-13 20:17:42

I think they do have to join. Maybe that explains the weird names - they can't think of anything sensible on the spur of the moment.

overthehill Wed 18-Sep-13 14:55:53

We spent January three years back trawling all the sofa shops for a new one. We couldn't find anything we liked, so in the end had our old one recovered by a local upholstery business.

It was originally cloth but we had it done in leather. Again like others here it is a nice comfortable sofa, which isn't too big as it fits in our back room. We have been very pleased with it. It wasn't cheap, about £800 but it still looks good today.