Gransnet forums

House and home

Dettol Power and Pure Kitchen Spray Product Test - Feedback thread

(61 Posts)
JosieGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 15-Mar-12 14:30:30

This thread is for the 50 gransnetters who have been trying out Dettol's new Power and Pure Kitchen spray in their kitchen. Please answer the questions below but feel free to add any other comments too.

Dettol say "To celebrate the launch of Dettol’s new Power and Pure range we’d like to introduce our new campaign 'Make Cleaning Child’s Play' – there is a lovely competition which you and your grandchildren are welcome to enter on Mumsnet - for more information please see here"

All testers who add their comments to this thread will be entered into a prize draw to win a £30 John Lewis voucher.

So if you are a tester please tell us:

What was your overall impression of the Dettol Power and Pure kitchen spray? What did you like the most about it? Was there anything you didn’t like?

Did you feel Dettol Power and Pure kitchen spray gave a powerful clean or not? How did it compare to other cleaning products you use?

What did you think of the smell? Do you think it smells less 'bleachy' than other cleaning products you use or not? Did you notice any difference in terms of there being any chemical residue being left behind compared to others?

Did you use Dettol Power and Pure kitchen spray in any areas of your home that you would not usually use a powerful cleaning product? If so, where?

Do you think you would use Dettol Power and Pure cleaning products again? If so why? If not, why not?

If it came up in conversation, do you think you would recommend Dettol Power and Pure to a friend? If so, why? If not, why not?

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw.

Earthynanna Sat 17-Mar-12 10:54:37

What was your overall impression of the Dettol Power and Pure kitchen spray? What did you like the most about it? Was there anything you didn’t like?

I think it looks fresh and clean

Did you feel Dettol Power and Pure kitchen spray gave a powerful clean or not?
I found it was good on all the surfaces, especially good on the gas hob. We do lots of cooking with all the stirring and splashing and I usually have to scrub hard. With this product I sprayed it on, let it stand for a minute and was able to wipe the hob clean. I also used in the bathroom, on cupboard doors and it dealt well with all the fiddly bits around taps and handles

How did it compare to other cleaning products you use?

I use eco products, including ecloths. They are usually fine and I spray with Dettol disinfectant sprayin order to kill the germs carried by many small children! I think that Power and Pure would cut out the need to do that.

What did you think of the smell?
It was quite pleasant

Do you think it smells less 'bleachy' than other cleaning products you use or not?
Yes less bleachy, which is a good thing

Did you notice any difference in terms of there being any chemical residue being left behind compared to others?
I have used products in the past that left a residue, this one didn't. To be perfectly honest, that's not the sort of thing that worrries me too much blush

Did you use Dettol Power and Pure kitchen spray in any areas of your home that you would not usually use a powerful cleaning product? If so, where?

I used it to clean the laminate floor and UPVC front door as they had got grubby in the damp weather; it was good

Do you think you would use Dettol Power and Pure cleaning products again?
Yes, though I would like to know more about the environmental impact

If so why?
Good general cleaning, happy with the 99% part, it didn't seem to aggravate the eczema on my hands if I occasionally used it without rubber gloves

If not, why not?
I would like to know more about environmental impact

If it came up in conversation, do you think you would recommend Dettol Power and Pure to a friend?
I can't imagine having that conversation, but I would recommend it to my daughter and daughter-in-law. Luckily, we have real strong relationships and they won't start a thread on Mumsnet, complaining about my interefering ways!

If so, why?
With large families it's important to keep door handles, loo handles, etc etc as lurgi free as possible.
If not, why not?

I note that Dettol Spray kils 99% of viruses and bacteria, Power and Pure 99% of bacteria. What does this difference in wording mean?

Littlemissactive Sat 17-Mar-12 18:18:51

Overall very good. I particularly liked the cleaning power and no residue. Found the smell overpowering.

Did you feel Dettol Power and Pure kitchen spray gave a powerful clean or not? How did it compare to other cleaning products you use?

I felt it gave a powerful clean. I sprayed it inside the washing powder drawer of my washing machine which was grimy and had soap scum, removed it easily.

What did you think of the smell? Do you think it smells less 'bleachy' than other cleaning products you use or not? Did you notice any difference in terms of there being any chemical residue being left behind compared to others?

Yes smelt less beachy but I did find the smell over powering.

It didnt leave a residue. It did say no need to rinse but when I did rinse it rinsed away easily.

The washing machine drawer as above.

Do you think you would use Dettol Power and Pure cleaning products again? If so why? If not, why not?

If on offer I would use again as happy with results.
I felt I didn't need to scrub away as you do with some cleaners.

If it came up in conversation, do you think you would recommend Dettol Power and Pure to a friend? If so, why? If not, why not?

Not sure I'm likely to chat away about cleaning......would maybe discuss my trial and would recommend it.

crimson Sat 17-Mar-12 18:57:32

The smell is actually growing on me, but I wouldn't use it on the draining board as I think it wouldmake any mugs left to drain smell a bit sickly.

Susienike Sun 18-Mar-12 12:21:14

First impressions were very good - nice and chunky, the Dettol brand, fresh and clean design (white, blue, bubbles, etc), clear, targeted messages, comfortable to hold and use.

The spray is as good or better than others I have used. Optimistically, tried it first on my hob and was very pleasantly surprised. Very happy with it.

It certainly smells less 'bleachy' and less of chemicals than other cleaners. Not sure if I like it very much (but does that really matter?) but I expected and would definitely have preferred it to have a hint of the original, classic Dettol smell.

Yes - I used it on skirting boards and walls with good results but (EUREKA moment !!) it also easily removed grand-daughter's wax crayon marks from my new light wood coffee table, with no marks or residue!

Yes - very much so. For all the reasons above.

Yes - if the opportunity ever arose... smile

Greatnan Mon 19-Mar-12 08:37:16

Do we really want to kill 99% of bacteria? My own mother was fairly relaxed about hygiene when I was born in 1940 and I have never had an upset stomach, in spite of extensive travel in tropical countries. The children whose high chairs/toys are Dettoxed to death are surely not building up any resistance. Eventually, they will come into contact with children from other types of homes and could succumb to every passing germ.

jeni Mon 19-Mar-12 13:44:21

Quite happy with it. Nice smell. Seems to clean efficiently. Did not notice any residue. Did not use anywhere else. Do not usually use dettol products.easy to use. Would use it again. Would recommend.

spanielsmum Mon 19-Mar-12 13:54:16

Can't find an edit on here... probably just me but want to add that I sprayed round my sinks this morning and could still smell the product (in a nice way) 2 hours later when I returned. It made the kitchen smell lovely, despite 3 smelly spaniels [grin[[

Oldgreymare Mon 19-Mar-12 19:35:04

My overall impression of the product: good.
It cleans well, in fact it cleaned my stainless steel sink better than the proprietry stainless steel cleaner I have used most recently.
My gas hob also cleaned up well, it is much used and needs cleaning often.

Sadly, I didn't like the smell, although it is less bleachy it seems very strangely perfumed and compares badly with, for instance, other Dettol products and especially with Zoflora concentrated disinfectant (Bouquet).

I used the product in the bathroom, with good results.
I also used it on a plant pot after I had been forced to remove a shrub which was infested with blackfly. I wouldn't normally use such a product but thought it worth a try. I shan't know the results until I replant the pot.

I would use Dettol Power and Pure again especially if the smell is altered. I was glad to have cleaned the bathroom with the window open! I would also like more information on its environmental impact. 'Pure' implies it is extremely safe!

If the topic were to be discussed, I would recommend the product to a friend. I would be interested to see whether he/she likes the perfume.

Thankyou for letting me try the product.

stephgr Mon 19-Mar-12 21:59:24

I thought it was very effective and efficient. It worked quickly so saved me time - that's what I liked best - as soon as the cleaning's done I can do things I enjoy. I quite liked the fragrance too.

Yes, the clean was powerful and better than other produts. I didn't have to spend time scrubbing away grease stains!

The smell is nicer than most other products although I prefer the Febreeze fragrance. I didn't notice a chemical residue.

No

I would definitely use it again because it worked well and quickly.

I have already recommended this product and will continue to do so because it's very effective.

brownhandbag Wed 21-Mar-12 19:10:59

overall I liked the product, actually really liked the smell. Nothing I didn't like

Yes gave a good clean without a bleachy smell. Performed as good as the best.

Loved it, smelled really clean, but not bleachy or industrial. Did not notice any residue.

Used on oilcloth table covering which I usually just use a multi purpose spray. Did not damage covering and worked nice and quickly.

Yes definitely, but would have to buy when on promotion.

Yes would recommend. I have really enjoyed testing and using this product. Thank you Gransnet!

grandmac Wed 21-Mar-12 19:14:31

Overall impression was good. The smell wasn't too bad but to be honest I prefer the 'clean' smell of bleach! I found it difficult to get the nozzle to spray rather than jet.

I felt it cleaned as well as my usual cleaner and the worktops appeared clean and almost smear free. I will also use it for grandchildren's high chair tray when they are here. But it didn't work in the kitchen sink or on oven door. But I didn't expect it to.

The smell was alright but I didn't prefer it to any other similar spray. Didn't notice any chemical residue but don't with any similar sprays.

I used it in the bathroom just for the germ killing properties.

I might use it again depending on the price. Otherwise would continue using ordinary Dettol spray.

I would say I had used it with good results but probably wouldn't actually recommend it.

blackswan Wed 21-Mar-12 19:39:24

My overall impression - it's OK but .... having to wait 5 minutes for it to be active, is most of the time a pain in the neck. Instantaneous is what I want! As for cleaning my ceramic hob, nope 'fraid it didn't cut the mustard. You can't beat a certain three letter cleaner in the cream version.

Didn't mind the smell, a bit strong but certainly not bleachy. My son, who usually can't stand any strong smell, didn't complain, so I suppose this is a plus point.

There was no residue to speak of. On the ceramic hob, I usually buff up with a dry cloth no matter what cleaner I've used.

Used on the front step, bath, basin and loo, kitchen cupboards, tiled floor, radiator and a persistent insect got a dose! Did not see it again.

Liked the robust container and plenty of liquid inside. Didn't have any trouble with the nozzle but thought that maybe an older, infirm person, might have a problem as it felt quite hefty especially for an athritic hand/arm. How about a smaller version as an alternative?

I would use this product again if the price was right. Dettol have an amazing track record in hygienic cleaning materials and I expect this to be a good seller but not for ceramic hobs. For this reason I wouldn't recommend it to someone with a ceramic hob but for general cleaning and if you've got plenty of 5 minutes to spare it is perfect.

Anne58 Wed 21-Mar-12 19:43:54

Q1. Impressed, brought stainless steel cooker front up very well, compared to cleaning products that we usually use (around £2 RRP)

Q2. Above average, for cleaning products within the £2 range.

Q3. Found the smell quite pleasant, not at all "bleachy". No chemical residue noticed.

Q4. No, only used in the kitchen, although may try in the bathroom.

Q5. May well use again, depending on cost.

Q6. I would recommend, especially for it's smell, excellent on stainless steel appliancies. As to "if not" that would be dependent on the RRP.

Additional comments:

I would be interested in knowing the proposed RRP of this product before I recommended it.

Zephrine Wed 21-Mar-12 20:07:32

I liked the packaging, felt it was a little heavy to hold probably made for a larger hand than mine but the larger hand in this house doesn't do cleaning. Didn't like the smell.

It cleaned the bathroom well especially my very old and yucky shower tray. Didn't do so well on my black kitchen sink.

Not keen on the smell, a bit strong, smells like bubble gum.

No, I try and avoid using to many chemicals.

I might use it again. It would depend on the price. It does seem to be more environmentally friendly than some but I don't use them anyway.

I don't have those sorts of conversations! but if anyone asked I wouldn't tell people not to use it.

gracesmum Wed 21-Mar-12 22:20:10

Adequate cleaner, good sized bottle, terrible smell

Worked well, but not necessarily better than other cleaners

What did you think of the smell? Do you think it smells less 'bleachy' than other cleaning products you use or not? Did you notice any difference in terms of Thoroughly unpleasant smell, not fresh or nice in any way. I actually prefer the smell of bleach

No
I prefer antibacterial wipes for surfaces, and bleach for sinks and drains
If it came up in conversation, do you think you would recommend Dettol Power and Pure to a friend? If so, why? If not, why not
I did not feel there were any redeeming features to outweigh the unpleasant smell, so No I would not.

annrow Wed 21-Mar-12 23:25:10

I often use Dettol cleaning products and this one compares favourably with both them and other brands.

It was effective on the kitchen hob and didn't seem to leave any residue on my black kitchen worktops.

I liked the smell. It was fresh but not overpowering.

Tried the product in the bathroom with good results.

Will certainly buy it again - very pleased with the results.

Would recommend it to a friend although cleaning products don't generally crop up in conversation

karmaperle Thu 22-Mar-12 08:57:42

Excellent overall. Just the smell I didn't like.

Did you feel Dettol Power and Pure kitchen spray gave a powerful clean or not? How did it compare to other cleaning products you use

Excellent cleaning power - better than others I have tried.

Didn't like the smell at all. Kitchen smelled liked a public toilet. Have the bathroom one and it smells much nicer

We live in a very hard water area and limescale is a problem. Used it on taps and sink and was very effective.

Yes, would use again.

Would recommend as its very effective.

GoldenGran Thu 22-Mar-12 09:31:52

Overall impression, I liked the bottle , no garish colours.
Excellent cleaning power, I really do go for the powerful ones, and I thought this was one of the best.
I didn't mind the smell, slightly sweet perhaps, but no strong smell of bleach.
I used it everywhere, around work tops and boards in the kitchen, in areas I would not use bleach based cleaners.
Yes I would use again, the results were excellent.
Don't normally discuss cleaning products with friends, but if it came up I would recommend it.

Seventimesfive Thu 22-Mar-12 10:18:15

Overall impression was good. Nothing I didn't like. The smell was not sickly or overpowering. Nothing I didn't like.
Felt it gave a deeper clean than my usual cleaner.
No residue left and no bleachy smell.
Used in kitchen. Very good on greasy surfaces. Also good in bathroom.
I would use again, but price will be a factor I will consider.
Don't usually discuss cleaning products, but if topic came up I would recommend it.

Hameringham Thu 22-Mar-12 10:24:41

A good size bottle so hopefully good value. Attractive labelling with Dettol a winning logo.

A powerful clean and no worry re-harsh chemicals.

Loved the smell and pleased that it was not 'bleachy'.

I have used it in the bathroom, toilet and kitchen. A very effective multi purpose cleaner.

I would use this cleaner again provided the price was competitive.

Yes I would recommend to friends as a very good multi purpose, great smelling cleaner. It does what it says on the bottle.

OTHill Fri 23-Mar-12 16:07:32

What was your overall impression of the Dettol Power and Pure kitchen spray?

I am afraid it’s just like a lot of others out there on the market.

What did you like the most about it?

It has a good spray action even if you can’t see the on/off on the nozzle.

Was there anything you didn’t like?

The smell... see below.

Did you feel Dettol Power and Pure kitchen spray gave a powerful clean or not?

It took some extra elbow grease to come up with a good shine on my draining board.

How did it compare to other cleaning products you use?

It was as good as most others.

What did you think of the smell?

I liked the fact that it lingered longer than others, which meant that hours after using it you could still smell it. Only thing is I didn’t like the smell, it was too fake and after even a longer period it seemed to go stale.

Do you think it smells less 'bleachy' than other cleaning products you use or not?

Yes, definitely less bleachy smell.

Did you notice any difference in terms of there being any chemical residue being left behind compared to others?

I thought it was going to work miracles, but it took about the same amount of rubbing and elbow grease as most others on the market.

Did you use Dettol Power and Pure kitchen spray in any areas of your home that you would not usually use a powerful cleaning product?

No, sorry.

If so, where?

See above.

Yes, I would use it again, the price is good, but please change the smell to something like real lemons, clean and fresh.

Simple answer, yes I would recommend it if only I could remember the name, it just doesn’t roll off the tongue.

crimson Sat 24-Mar-12 11:05:31

The smell is really growing on me.

maxdrans Sun 25-Mar-12 21:09:37

my overall take on new dettol power spray was very good i liked the size of the bottle the only fault i found was that it left streaks on my glass table it gave apowerful clean to most of my kitchen surfaces i did not notice much difference to my normal dettol spray i liked the smell and did not see any residue left behind by it ihave not yet used it in any other areas as yet but that is due to the fact that ihave been on holidays i would use this product again if the price was fair but i do not think i would recommend it simply because of the marks left on glass surfaces

AnnGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 27-Mar-12 17:12:24

Hello - thanks for adding your feedback. Am pleased to say ataraxia's name was pulled out of the hat and she wins the £30 John Lewis vouchers. Well done!

Quiltinggran Thu 29-Mar-12 09:18:58

Sorry I couldn't post feedback sooner but I have been away.

What was your overall impression of the Dettol Power and Pure kitchen spray?
I liked it but not really more or less than any other cleaning product.

What did you like the most about it? Was there anything you didn’t like?

It cleaned wel but didn't notice an significant difference to other products.

I quite liked the smell when I got used to it.

No I only used it in the kitchen

I might use it again but it would depend on the price

|I'd probably recommend it but again only if the price was competitive.