Gransnet forums

House and home

Coffee makers, advice please

(62 Posts)
Nanadog Thu 15-Nov-12 09:30:55

My beloved but ancient Tassimo is on its way out, it sounds very arthritic and is getting quite cranky and obtuse (just like MrDog in fact only more useful.....)
I need to invest in a new machine preferably idiot proof and with pods. I love my cappuccino in the morning and MrDog will drink anything.
Can any coffee-loving GNetters suggest a suitable replacement or shall I just go for the new Tassimo model?

Mamie Sat 21-Sep-13 06:28:37

We have tried all sorts and have ended up back with a stovetop espresso pot. The little one for two of us cost under £10. Best coffee yet we think. Don't like the pods, very expensive way of getting half a cup of cold coffee, imo.

Rosiebee Mon 23-Sep-13 14:01:23

One of the reasons I fancied a 'pod' machine, was the lack of mess, also the Pixie looked so neat. We used to have a filter machine many years ago. It was bulky and I always seemed to end up with coffee grounds spilling onto the work surfaces. When we stayed in hotels in America recently, they all seemed to have really compact machines which used ground coffee contained in large 'tea bags'. No mess! Can't get them over here. I've had a look at the Russell Hobbs machine on line and like the compactness. Will try and look at it in a shop. Thanks phoenix. smile

Anne58 Mon 23-Sep-13 14:13:41

Rosie when you do look at one you may initially think that it feels a bit "flimsy", but I can assure you it's pretty robust, (needs to be with Mr P!)

It has a mesh filter thing, so no need to buy the paper liners. Ours has never spilt onto the worktops, although it's predecessor developed a habit of erupting like a caffeine fuelled Vesuvius, which is why we had it put down.

The main thing I really like about the current one is the fact that it keeps the coffee that much hotter than the previous one. I sometimes like a dash of Amaretto in my coffee (only as a special treat!) and also take milk, but I can't bear lukewarm coffee, so this one is well tested on that front!

Riverwalk Mon 23-Sep-13 14:17:22

Rosie I love my Pixie - use it every day.

You can get coffee bags here, certainly in Waitrose and no doubt in other supermarkets.

Sel Mon 23-Sep-13 14:32:05

Rosiebee your needs similar to mine, strong and black smile I have the pixie and use the two strongest pods - I have three for my morning mug. You can determine the amount of water that goes through the pod & hence the strength is down to you. I also love the decaf ones which I have in the evening. It is expensive though and I can't believe it's much good for the environment with the waste BUT the coffee is fantastic.

I was in Milan recently and there there was a big area of a department store selling the pods with tasting available. I think Selfridges may be doing that now..I know I've seen it somewhere in London.

We just order a case of pods and they are ringing the bell with the delivery almost before you've closed your laptop (whatever!)

BAnanas Mon 23-Sep-13 15:21:06

We have a Dulce Gusto a present from one of our sons a while back. When he first bought it I think pod machines might have been quite new now they are everywhere and with it came coffee pods and milk pods. Have to say we weren't mad about the milk pods we wanted something a bit stronger. A couple of months ago we had our kitchen ripped out and a new one fitted. We were without a hob for a while and not liking milk heated in the microwave we bought an electric milk frother and resurrected the Dulce Gusto. Brilliant combination! We now buy their Espresso Intenso, don't like weak coffee and now use these two machines all the time. We don't spend nearly as much on coffees out as we used to.

I like the flat whites, I'm told by New Zealanders we know that these emanate from there, and damn fussy the NZs are about them too, if the shop gets them wrong they are sent back, allegedly.

I think as far as good coffee goes you are pretty safe with the Italians!

Ariadne Tue 24-Sep-13 06:39:59

I have tried various machines, but have gone back to the cafetiere full time; I have a sort of thermos jug to keep it hot. I also have some insulated mugs which are like mini cafetieres, and they are excellent. I do love good coffee - having my first one of the day now. Cheers!

J52 Tue 24-Sep-13 12:11:00

DH is a coffee fanatic and must have tried every device known to humankind.
He has gone back to hand pouring through filter into a thermos jug.
I just sit back and drink it - seems to be the best way!! However, I think the type of coffee is the key to it all. X

Divawithattitude Tue 24-Sep-13 20:07:17

Mamie, my DH swears by his oven top espresso pot, says it makes the best coffee ever

simtib Tue 24-Sep-13 20:30:46

I find my Baby Gaggia really good, not cheap though.

Deedaa Tue 24-Sep-13 21:32:12

Since my last post DH has started buying green coffee beans and roasting them. This obviously doesn't work with the Nespresso so it has been replaced by a lovely Francis Francis that I bought on ebay for a bargain price because the owner thought it was broken. It is quite interesting trying different types of bean and different levels of roast - although I do sometimes long to just go out and buy a packet of Lavazza. In case of power cuts I always have a couple of Moka pots on the shelf - you can't be too careful !

Rosiebee Thu 02-Jan-14 16:35:00

Well I eventually got my coffee machine at Christmas. DH and I went to look at lots of different ones in John Lewis and I eventually chose a Nespresso 'U'. A basic design as I will only use it for black coffees. I really wanted the cream one but they didn't have one in stock and for some bizarre reason, the black one was £20 cheaper at £69.99. So that's what I got. Also got a free coffee voucher for £40. I've been using up the 16 capsules that came with it - all delicious- but does anyone else think that it's a bit odd having to send off for the coffee? The postage is about £5 and we usually have to go to the PO to collect any parcels. They do have a 'Coffee Boutique' at the Trafford Centre which I'll probably use. Seems a bit of a faff going there just to buy some coffee. {Really don't like the TC. Too big and traffic is usually dreadful}
I know they say only to use their own make of coffee, but has anyone else used a different brand in a Nespresso machine? hmm

Riverwalk Thu 02-Jan-14 16:59:50

I haven't tried them but you can get Nespresso-compatible capsules online, such as

capsules

The original Nespresso Club capsules are mailed from Macclesfield - maybe they have an outlet shop!

Deedaa Thu 02-Jan-14 21:52:10

I did love my Nespresso - so easy and such good coffee - but I was driven insane by the whole sending off for the coffee thing! It was expensive because you have to order quite a bit to make it worth paying the postage and it was inconvenient because I had to calculate when to order so that I would be at home for the delivery. I also got a bit irritated by the whole "Our coffee is so wonderful we couldn't possibly sell it in shops" attitude.
I bought some refillable capsules on ebay (can't remember the brand, but they came in packs of 100) they worked fairly well, you have to juggle them a bit in the machine but it can be done. You really need to be able to spare an hour to sit and carefully spoon the coffee into the capsules and it does get messy, but it depends how fed up you get with ordering the Nespresso ones.

seasider Fri 03-Jan-14 09:30:36

DH loves his stove top coffee pot and my Italian son in law swears it is the best way to make espresso.

Rosiebee Fri 03-Jan-14 15:01:57

Thanks Deedaa, you've said what I was thinking about the attitude. I commented to my DH that they were completely up their own , well let's say,up their own backsides. Why on earth can't they sell their coffee at least in the same places where their machines are sold? I'll just be going into the 'boutique' and buying my choice of capsules, no different from getting it from Sainsburys. I did talk to an assistant at Lakeland who sell Nespresso machines and he said that they were in talks with the firm to be allowed to sell the coffee as well. We'll wait and see.

harrigran Fri 03-Jan-14 16:38:24

DD has one of these coffee machines and brings the capsules from Brussels to her other home in UK.
TBH I wouldn't buy something if they can't be a***d to stock the vital ingredient.

Agus Fri 03-Jan-14 16:52:52

Rosie I have a Nespresso machine and now buy the pods, Cafe Pod, in Sainsbury's and Dualit pods in Waitrose. Much easier now than ordering online.

Nelliemoser Fri 03-Jan-14 16:58:20

You coffee addicts must excuse me, but surely it is possible to get decent brew of coffee without having to resort to a complicated machine that relies on your use of a specific brand and type of capsule insert.

Does this means you are limited to using the one brand that matches the machine never mind the costs of the extra packaging.

How does the price of of a cup of coffee from a fancy all singing all dancing machine compare with that from a pack of ground coffee brewed in a cafetiere. Or or for that matter from a branch of Costa. brew

Riverwalk Fri 03-Jan-14 17:21:41

In reply to your rather sniffy post Nellie:

the machines are not complicated; you are not restricted to a specific brand; the cost of a pod is around 0.30p each; you can't produce an espresso in a cafetiere; and finally, I have no idea of the price at Costa but assume it's around £2.50.

I also have a stove-top espresso pot but that takes time and watching over, the machine takes seconds!

Ariadne Fri 03-Jan-14 17:44:48

A cafetiere, some good, fresh ground if you must, Columbian, and an insulated jug for what's left over - that is what I use, having discarded more coffee makers than I care to remember!

Agus Fri 03-Jan-14 18:10:28

All it means Nellie is that I do what suits me as I sure you do what suits you. It's none of my business what others choose to spend their money on.

Deedaa Fri 03-Jan-14 23:07:46

I must admit that I do keep a six cup Moka pot on the shelf, because if more than two or three people want a coffee it's quicker and easier than making multiple cups with a machine.
I suppose I should come clean and admit that I have trained as a barista - but I still think a Nespresso makes a very good coffee , if you don't mind everything else that goes with it.

Rosiebee Sat 04-Jan-14 10:02:37

I love the fact that with the Nespresso, which is very basic and so simple to use, I don't get any gritty bits at the bottom of the cup. Not to mention that the coffee is delicious. I've never had much success with cafetieres or filter jugs. Tried loads of different coffees but the coffee always seemed to taste thin and I ended up with coffee grounds all over the place. I only want one cup of coffee, no more. Still use the instant as well. Thanks Agus for other pods info. I'll have a go with those as I can't get to the Trafford Centre yet to use up my voucher. smile

vonmichael Sat 04-Jan-14 10:35:27

If you are familiar with Bosch than have a look at this model
Tassimo TAS4211. If it's not to expensive for your needs.