Gransnet forums

House and home

Coffee makers, advice please

(62 Posts)
Nanadog Thu 15-Nov-12 09:30:55

My beloved but ancient Tassimo is on its way out, it sounds very arthritic and is getting quite cranky and obtuse (just like MrDog in fact only more useful.....)
I need to invest in a new machine preferably idiot proof and with pods. I love my cappuccino in the morning and MrDog will drink anything.
Can any coffee-loving GNetters suggest a suitable replacement or shall I just go for the new Tassimo model?

dollie Sat 04-Jan-14 11:05:52

i had a senseo but it died...i now buy the sachets of nescafe unsweetened capachinos it works out a lot cheaper and its really tasty..

voxnutrition Mon 11-Aug-14 16:06:42

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

janeainsworth Mon 11-Aug-14 16:15:24

Oh dear! the spammers are out in force today. Is it the high winds, I wonder?
Reported.

feetlebaum Mon 11-Aug-14 16:21:00

I use a Krups filter machine, and buy Colombian beans which I grind as needed. Simples!

granjura Mon 11-Aug-14 16:23:25

Personally I hate the Nespresso machine due to the enormous waste of precious aluminium! I have a DeLonghi machine where you put the coffee grains, and it grinds enough coffee for 1 or 2 cups at a time- all the grounds are then thrown onto the tall mixed borders, the veg patch or the compost.

hildajenniJ Mon 11-Aug-14 16:50:22

I've had several different machines over the years. The last one being a senseo. All have either been given away or sold on. The senseo now resdes at the back of the cupboard. I've gone back to the good old cafetiere, or perish the thought, instant coffee.

goldengirl Mon 11-Aug-14 17:49:30

My little Krups Dolce Gusto is superb. Press button to switch on; pour in the water; put mug under nozzle; pop in your choice of capsule; push the lever until your cup runneth over - well not quite over; flick lever back and enjoy! So many types of pod to try too. And it doesn't take up much space at all in my already cluttered kitchen. Obtainable from Tesco's.

buddh Sat 19-Oct-19 15:30:14

I own a Cuisinart Coffee Maker. I made coffee as normal this morning and later came into the kitchen. I heard the coffee boiling in the pot and as I took the pot off the base, the bottom and the back of the unit began to smoke. I unplugged the unit immediately and put it into the sink and poured a cup of water onto the base to cool it off.
bakingreview.com/amazon-basics-coffee-maker/

craftyone Sun 20-Oct-19 17:47:00

I use a sage coffee grinder and either a french press or an aeoropress. I had to give my big sage coffee machine away, no room here but I use the grinder every day

Possum Mon 09-Dec-19 17:08:33

A coffee scoop will help you measure the right amount of coffee to the number of cups you are brewing. A permanent filter in a machine eliminates the need for paper filters which can be a pain to keep in stock. Some machines come with this but you can buy them separately if you choose. And if you want the freshest tasting coffee it is always wise to grind your own beans at home, so if your machine doesn't have a grinder you might want to invest in your own coffee grinder. bakingreview.com/nespresso-coffee-maker/

annep1 Tue 10-Dec-19 14:37:34

We have a small Lavazza but I think pods are expensive to keep buying and have to be disposed of. I buy them in bulk when I see a good deal.
My husband likes the taste but still prefers his cafetiere, and grinds beans sometimes.

I much prefer decaff instant.