Gransnet forums

House and home

My towels are hard after washing.

(38 Posts)
jeanie99 Thu 15-May-14 18:37:14

My towels are really hard after they are dried, this can be outside on the line or in the drying cupboard.
I've moved house from soft to hard water they were still hard when we had soft water.
I have changed washing machine still hard.
I've changed my washing powder.
I've changed my softener.
I've reduced the amount of washing powder.
I've washed again after washing but not using powder and extended the washing time to 2.45 minutes.
My old washer washed at just over 2 hrs my new washer allows me to wash at variable lengths.
I've had most of my towels for some years, I bought good quality to last, should I get rid of my really good towels.
So what am I doing wrong.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 15-May-14 18:46:19

Are you adding enough fabric softener? I wash towels on 40 degree Delicates cycle. Strange they were hard when you were in a soft water area. I thought it was down to hard water (like what I've got) hmm

I like a fairly "brisk" towel.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 15-May-14 18:47:06

Perhaps you have washed them on too hot a programme in the past?

Tegan Thu 15-May-14 19:05:07

I never use fabric softener on towels or teatowels cause they don't dry as well if you use it. Although it's not good to have a towel that's tantamount to using a brillo pad [ouch]. How about giving them a good soak in fabric conditioner, then washing them on a lower temperature without fabric conditioner, tumble drying them for a short while to fluff them up a bit then dry away from direct heat. This should only take 2 weeks max wink.

MiniMouse Thu 15-May-14 19:12:03

Have you tried 50 grammes of soda in with a reduced amount (reduce by the same 50 grammes) of washing powder? That may do it.

Pittcity Thu 15-May-14 19:20:19

I don't use conditioner on towels, replacing it with vinegar. This is to help absorbency. I admit that towels get tumble dried here to keep them soft!

granjura Thu 15-May-14 19:23:59

Vinegar is great- and dry out in the sun if at all possible- and a very quick finish with the 'dryer balls' for about 5 mins.

Ana Thu 15-May-14 19:33:44

Semi-drying on the line and finishing off in the tumble dryer works well for me. I do use fabric onditioner as well. Towels do get hard if they're allowed to dry completely either outside or on a radiator.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 15-May-14 19:41:15

I take it you use water softener? (as well as fabric one) Not sure if that makes any difference or not to final softness. (the rinsing water is still hard)

merlotgran Thu 15-May-14 19:42:37

I always finish my towels off in the dryer with a Tesco softener sheet....Nice smell.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 15-May-14 19:42:48

pittcity the last holiday cottage we stayed in, the towels and the duvet cover smelled of vinegar! grin (I prefer Lenor grin)

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 15-May-14 19:43:37

I haven't got a tumble dryer! hmm My kitchen has got too many doors in it. Stuff won't fit. hmm

Treebee Thu 15-May-14 19:44:04

I use fabric softener in my towel wash every couple of months and always tumble dry. I pop 2 of those spiky balls Lakeland sell in the dryer too. Lovely fluffy towels!

thatbags Thu 15-May-14 19:46:26

I don't think the hardness or softness of the water makes a difference. Our water is as soft as water comes but towels still go hard unless I do what jura suggests – finish them off in the dryer with dryer balls. It bashes the hardness out of them, but you only need a short tumble bash when they are almost dry already. I don't bother with vinegar.

Agus Thu 15-May-14 20:07:43

We have very soft water but it makes no difference, the towels are always hard and I don't have a tumble drier. My cousin however also pops her towels into her drier to soften them.

I recently bought very thick quality, classed as hotel towels and they are much softer after washing.

Aka Thu 15-May-14 20:12:06

I don't use fabric conditioner and I wash my towels on 40oC, but add a touch of Dettol Laudry to the final rinse. It smells nice, makes up for a coolish wash and they dry reasonably soft.

Charleygirl Thu 15-May-14 20:26:14

I stopped using fabric conditioner years ago. It seemed to take months for the residue to leave my clothes but I do not have a problem. My towels are not fluffy soft but they are not like brillo pads. I do not have a tumble drier, no space.

Ana Thu 15-May-14 20:48:38

Aka, it doesn't smell like Dettol, does it? hmm

HollyDaze Thu 15-May-14 20:56:46

jeanie99 - try using a detergent liquid instead of powder to wash your towels.

I also put about 1/3 of a cap of softenor in the final rinse but, like others, I tend to put them in the tumble dryer to really fluff them up. My son's girlfriend once washed my towels (we were on holiday) and she used powder, no softenor and dried them on the line. I joked with her that it was like drying myself with a Weetabix; she didn't find that in the least bit amusing blush

hildajenniJ Thu 15-May-14 21:41:57

I find that the only way to soften towels after washing is to line dry in a stiff breeze. The only trouble with this is you may well have to run around the garden after them when they blow away. Otherwise a tumble drier is the answer.

rosequartz Thu 15-May-14 22:45:04

DH says towels should be washed on at least 60C to kill off any bacteria apparently.

I never use fabric softener but use the 'extra rinse' facility on my washing machine. If the weather is OK I put them in the tumble drier on hot for about 10-15 minutes which softens them up, then hang them outside. They get tumble dried if it's raining.

jeanie99 Thu 15-May-14 23:59:58

Thanks everyone for your comments it's much appreciated.
What an assortment of replies, it does seem that tumble drying may be the answer, problem is though I don't have one.

I normally wash towels at 40 on cotton wash.
I've never washed at 60.

I use water softener now we are in a hard water area, but when we lived in Derbyshire which is a soft water area they were still hard.

I might also try not using fabric softener.

and an extra rinse.

I'd originally thought it might have something to do with my old washer not rinsing well, but after I'd used the new one and they were the same that clearly couldn't have been the case.

I'm going to try the liquid detergent see if that makes a difference.
I don't want a towel that is so soft you can't dry yourself on it but what I would like is not to have my son commenting every time they come up to stay.

Anne58 Fri 16-May-14 07:14:17

Tell him to bring his own towel if he doesn't like yours!

Aka Fri 16-May-14 07:25:24

No Ana it's quite a pleasant, fresh smell IMO.

Aka Fri 16-May-14 07:26:33

But then I like the smell of Jeyes fluid too!