Gransnet forums

House and home

kitchen cupboards - door handles

(26 Posts)
Coolgran65 Sun 22-Mar-15 16:44:03

I got a new kitchen fitted about 7 years ago. It is ivory with walnut work tops. The floor is charcoal/brownish tinge tiles.

Now.... the silver coloured handles of the cupboards are showing signs of wear. What has been a coating on them is wearing off and they look as though they need a good scrub. Never look clean. It probably didn't help that I 'cleaned' them by using Jif/Cif. I could replace the handles, all 22 of them, but it all adds up, and also I like to 'sort things' .... find a way to fix.

I suggested to dh that we paint them with silver hammerite. He didn't think much of that idea, and I guess it could look cheap depending on how shiny the finish was or was not. I've now thought that perhaps black hammerite might work.

What do Gnetters think?
Would the hammerite work - or do I just bite the bullet and buy 22 door/drawer handles.

loopylou Sun 22-Mar-15 17:01:20

I guess that trying it on one would decide the dilemma one way or the other?
I think you can get Matt Hammerite if you don't want a shiny finish.

tiggypiro Sun 22-Mar-15 17:19:22

I certainly would give the cheaper option a go first !

tiggypiro Sun 22-Mar-15 17:20:58

What about a spray can of car paint ? Spraying seems to get a very good finish especially if it is given 2 very light coats.

rosequartz Sun 22-Mar-15 17:21:27

We bought an expensive shower about five years ago and the 'chrome' handle has started to peel revealing plastic underneath. We might as well have gone to somewhere cheaper.

If you are very unhappy with them you could try the Hammerite on one handle first of all; at least you would know then whether it would work or whether you will have to replace them all.

Here is another idea:
www.rustoleumspraypaint.com/how-to-guide/how-to-spray-paint-handles/

J52 Sun 22-Mar-15 18:09:25

Hammerite do a spray version. Certainly in Matt black. We re sprayed our metal garden chairs. It did an excellent job, even though I was not very precise. I'd try it first and then replace if they don't look right. x

merlotgran Sun 22-Mar-15 18:44:54

If you want a shabby-chic look you can paint the handles using a sample pot of Annie Sloan chalk based paint. This will be much cheaper than buying a 1ltr tin as it goes a long way and there some great colours on her website. You then wax them - ordinary furniture wax will do so long as it's not too dark and then you can gently rub them with sandpaper where the handles would naturally show signs of wear so that the original colour shows through.

Coolgran65 Sun 22-Mar-15 20:57:23

merlotgran the shabby chic look wouldn't fit in with the rest of the kitchen but thanks for your different idea.

I've never used spray paint before but have previously painted gates and an iron bed frame with Hammerite. And outdoors at the moment we have a heavy iron bell at the back door that gets a fresh coat on alternate years....So I already have black hammerite....have it also in dark green. In my last home I painted the metal posts for the big clothes line in dark green.

Haven't used the Matt finish in it, sounds good. The actual hammered finish is quite forgiving of any flaws underneath where one part of the original finish might have worn away.

Thanks all for your ideas.
I think I'll try Matt black hammered finish on one handle and see how it goes

I don't think I'll try spraying, simply because I haven't done it before. Rosemary, thank you for the link about spraying, and it's good to know that spraying is an option J52 that worked for you.

harrigran Mon 23-Mar-15 18:07:04

You have just confirmed what I feared, when I had my kitchen changed I opted for no handles at all.

Bez Mon 23-Mar-15 18:14:45

I hope you like the painting type option finish and it works well. If you need to go for the big replacing option you may have difficulty finding handles if your existing ones have two fixing points the distance between them will be crucial to getting ones that fit correctly with no further drilling. Good luck either way.

Coolgran65 Mon 23-Mar-15 18:33:14

Bez - yes the existing handles do indeed have two fixing points though I hope they are a standard fitting size. There will definitely be no further drilling done because then you have the likelihood of dealing with the original hole etc. naaaahh..... New handles will either fit exactly or they won't happen.

harrigran - why didn't I think of that ... at the time !! Sounds perfect.

janerowena Mon 23-Mar-15 23:40:20

I unscrewed my old handles and painted them with aluminium hammerite. Eight years later they are still fine.

janerowena Mon 23-Mar-15 23:41:52

Actually I did a whole standard lamp with baby lamp attached at the side as well - the ones with the big uplighter bowls. You would never know. The paint goes on really smoothly.

ReidBrown Sat 18-Apr-15 07:14:52

I think spray colour will go nice.

JohnBenn Sat 27-Jun-15 18:20:05

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Ana Sat 27-Jun-15 18:36:54

No. Do your own research! hmm

Pippa000 Sun 28-Jun-15 10:33:37

I replaced mine with silver coloured metal handles from Ikea, not too expensive and 8 years on they look as good as new.

shysal Mon 29-Jun-15 09:07:05

I am a great fan of spray Hammerite. I use it every couple of years to refresh my bistro-style patio table and chairs. It comes in several colours/finishes. I think it would work well for you.

shysal Mon 29-Jun-15 09:09:27

Oops!, just noticed this is an old thread. What did you decide Coolgran?

Coolgran65 Mon 29-Jun-15 10:11:00

I sent for 22 handles from Amazon. £1.79 each with free delivery.. A brushed aluminium finish. They arrived in 3 days and look perfect.
The quality appears very good and should they require replacing in a few years it won't break the bank.
We are very pleased with both the look and the cost.

jeanie99 Thu 02-Jul-15 07:51:12

I would go for the new handles.

redwest Wed 16-Dec-15 07:15:14

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

tiggypiro Wed 16-Dec-15 08:37:27

Reported

Iben Mon 18-Mar-19 06:57:51

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Anja Mon 18-Mar-19 07:33:05

Blimey! Just goes to show who is trawling GN looking for free advertising space!

Reported