Gransnet forums

House and home

New kitchen. mainly question about floors

(31 Posts)
Cherrytree59 Tue 05-Jan-16 15:12:23

We have decided that we are going to stay put in this house.
So kitchen needs big overhaul and I'm finding it all very daunting.
The boiler is being moved in february to the utility and having bigger kitchen window to allow more light. Unless I can convince DH to knock through into dining room where there are french doors and thus more light.
But first we have to consider what I consider to be huge problem the floor!
At present it is large cream ceramic tiles on a concrete floor that are the problem. They have been chipped over the years. We can't lay more over the top as they butt up at the same depth( or height not sure which) as flooring other rooms
So any suggestions would be much appreciated regarding floors or kitchens in general.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 05-Jan-16 15:27:41

Can you get the ceramic tiles up? We put Vinyl flooring on top of the original tiles in our kitchen as it was impossible to hack the tiles up. We've got wooden thresholds between each room so floor levels seem OK.

Luckygirl Tue 05-Jan-16 15:37:00

We have "wood" cushion floor on our kitchen floor - and several people have mistaken it for the real thing!

We also had that kitchen carpet (Flotex I think it is) in one house and it was lovely and warm and no problem with spills - they mopped up a treat. But the designs were a bit naff to be honest.

You may have to get the tiles up to keep the floor levels equal.

Enjoy designing your new kitchen!

Iam64 Tue 05-Jan-16 16:01:21

We put good quality karndean on the kitchen floor, I'd recommend it or the slightly more expensive Amtico. Karndean isn't a cheap, option but three years on I'd say worth every penny . It looks good and is easy to clean.

rosesarered Tue 05-Jan-16 19:29:54

We have had Karndene for eight years and looks good as new.We have the bleached driftwood , light in colour, and it cleans so easily as well.

Anya Tue 05-Jan-16 19:34:56

Recommend Karndean too

jusnoneed Tue 05-Jan-16 19:55:41

Another Karndene user, we have it in the kitchen and the shower room. It was put down about 10 years ago and it's the same as the day it went down. Easy to mop over and keep clean and it's not cold to walk on, even at this time of the year.
A leveling mix was put down one day (we had to hack up old vinyl tiles that were stuck onto a concrete floor) and the floor itself laid the next day.

Cherrytree59 Tue 05-Jan-16 20:19:55

Thanks going to google kardine sounds as if might be what we need
DH says tiles will have to come up.
But how drill, hammer???confused

suzied Tue 05-Jan-16 20:22:38

We have a teak amtico in our kitchen diner and it looks great, can't tell it from real wood and it always looks good, well worth it.

Treebee Thu 31-Mar-16 20:47:13

We are redoing our kitchen too and I'm deciding between Amtico and Karndean. Just received my Amtico samples and they look good.
I have Karndean already in my bathroom and love it.
I've discovered that both do a 'click' range that doesn't need adhesive and can be laid over existing tiles which is a big plus.
Has anyone had experience of these ranges?
What did you decide on Cherrytree?

aggie Thu 31-Mar-16 20:54:03

We had naff ceramic tiles and the only way to get them up was with a Kango (spelling ?) hammer ! They had been laid on cement and were cold and hard underfoot and a dropped glass resulted in splinters for weeks

pyramidgranite01 Tue 26-Apr-16 07:01:05

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

kittylester Tue 26-Apr-16 07:10:12

Reported

Charleygirl Tue 26-Apr-16 08:01:48

I desperately need new flooring in my kitchen and was thinking of going down the same route as Luckygirl, laying the "wood" cushion flooring. Naturally one local shop selling it is about to close!

Judthepud2 Tue 26-Apr-16 10:00:14

We had our kitchen redone last year. The ceramic tiles had to be lifted.....definitely a job for the professionals! They have the gear and know how to use it. Also, the floor then needs to be levelled by spreading a levelling mix. I just let the professionals get on with it. Not really a diy job, I would think.

We replaced the naff ceramic tiles with less naff ceramic tiles. grin

NanaHolly Tue 26-Apr-16 10:38:28

Well, I guess it's just time to be thankful that the underlayer is concrete. Those tiles will have to be removed - which wouldn't be a fun job if the underlay were floorboards.
As others here, I also believe the only way to do it will amount to brute force and a big hammer, chisel for the fine work. Judthepud2 knows what he's talking about.

I once lived in a flat with linoleum flooring (not tiles, just one big piece), and when I saw it, I thought - how cheap (I had been a spoiled wench with marble and under floor heating up until then). If I were having to pick out my own now, I would search high and low for that same linoleum. It was patterned like a sort of dark green granite (with no pretentions of fooling anyone into thinking it was stone), so it didn't show every speck of dust as soon as it hit the floor. It also had a softer underlay - much easier on the joints - and 'drop' didn't unequivocally mean 'destroyed'. I would also never have underfloor heating put in again, as it made my ankles swell.

Good luck with whatever you decide on, and I hope you love it!

rubylady Tue 26-Apr-16 18:30:53

I think the only thing to do is to get a man in.

phoenix Tue 26-Apr-16 18:40:14

My DS & DIL have the wood effect vinyl throughout their downstairs, really wish I had it instead of our laminate!

Although now I think of it, when the late departed Lily cat was still alive, and we had vinyl in the downstairs loo, she did manage to inflict some serious damage to it........

granjura Tue 26-Apr-16 18:40:21

All the rage here is waxed concrete floors that can be poured on top of old broken or cracked tiles- which is probably the route we will take- but we have the required depth available to do so- and it seems you haven't.

pompa Tue 26-Apr-16 18:55:37

We had ceramic tiles on our kitchen floor and wished to replace it with vinyl. It was surprisingly cheap to have the floor stripped of the tiles and skimmed over ready for the vinyl. £50. (I did dispose of the old tiles.)
We did not want build up the level of the floor by laying over the existing tiles.

mrsmopp Tue 10-May-16 00:30:29

We've had flotex down for ten years and it still looks immaculate. It is virtually indestructible and I like it it as I'm usually barefoot around the house and it's soft and warm. It also reduces echoing noise that you get in a kitchen with all hard surfaces and it's very noticeable. Dropped plates don't shatter. Some of the designs are not to my liking but we found one which looks really good and we are pleased with it. Good luck.

BarbaraAbbs Tue 17-May-16 10:33:25

Has anyone discovered any vinyl or laminate that isn't just fake wood, fake stone, fake tile etc. in really dreary colours. I wanted a pattern like I used to have.... You can get lino or rubber in bright colours but plain and show every mark. No good for this slattern!

shysal Tue 17-May-16 11:31:35

Try Googling industrial vinyl flooring. There are some colourful ones including this

granjura Tue 17-May-16 14:25:25

The new fashion on the continent is waxed concrete. Not cheap, but it can be layed onb top of uneven, chipped surfaces- avoiding the cost of removing old tiles. We are considering this when we can afford (if... rather- if the £ continues to tumble...)- the old floor will provide insulation under the waxed concrete.

Iam64 Wed 18-May-16 05:11:28

BarbaraA bs - look at karndean or Amtico. They're fake wood but look genuine. The are hard wearing and easy to clean