Gransnet forums

House and home

Grey paint suggestions

(79 Posts)
petitpois Thu 21-Jan-16 09:55:51

I am looking to update our bedroom walls. When we moved in they were magnolia and we've never got round to repainting. Any suggestions for paints to try? Thinking a pale grey?

Auntieflo Mon 04-Oct-21 12:28:51

I can't believe that it is 5 years since we decorated!
Time to contact our decorator again I think, the lounge could do with refreshing. But, can I cope with the upheaval and early morning starts?

trisher Mon 04-Oct-21 11:56:07

I've done heaps of tests with Farrow and Ball paints on my bedroom wall. I started with cheaper ones but couldn't find the right shade. I borrowed some of the testers from DS who noticed they looked completely different in my room than in his house. It really is to do with lighting and which way your room faces.

Missiseff Mon 04-Oct-21 11:50:51

We did our bedroom pale grey, after using many tester pots! You'll be surprised how many shades there are - certainly more than 50! smile

BlueBelle Mon 04-Oct-21 10:31:37

Grey looks lovely but the thought of beige or olive green makes me feel a bit bilious i ll stick with being out of the ‘new’ look Hetty

JaneJudge Mon 04-Oct-21 09:48:28

She may have redecorated by now to be fair

Hetty58 Mon 04-Oct-21 09:47:17

petitpois, grey is so outdated now - so why not skip it and go for subtle olive green, gold or (dare I say it) beige - they are coming back in!

When something becomes too popular (crazy paving, forsythia, upvc windows etc.) it's doomed to extinction.

BlueBelle Mon 04-Oct-21 09:40:22

My halls pale grey( it was yellow with lots of pictures on the walls Now pale grey with a couple of white recycled stands with plants on and just one large pain It looks lovely and modern

Lilypops Mon 04-Oct-21 08:25:56

Oh no. Just realised this post was 2016, I expect the OP. May have changed colours a couple of times since,
But why do these ancient posts pop up again years later ?

Lilypops Mon 04-Oct-21 08:23:05

Such a coincidence this post, At the weekend I was looking at Dulux colour charts thinking of doing the bottom half of the walls grey, they are coffee now, but as the top half is Magnolia I am thinking maybe grey won’t look right , it’s a dilemma petitpois, cos if it’s the wrong grey , you have to start all over again. Good Luck in choosing the right shade ,

kevinclark Mon 04-Oct-21 08:17:33

A very peaceful and soothing colour is Gray. It's a great option for a bedroom, since it's crucial to be in a relaxing environment before you begin or end your day,

NotSpaghetti Thu 16-Sep-21 17:56:34

Come back petitpois - what did you choose in 2016?

???

Audi10 Thu 16-Sep-21 12:57:54

Oh the thread was 2016, ???

Audi10 Thu 16-Sep-21 12:56:24

Cornforth white is a beautiful shade of light grey which depending on the room and the light it changes colour from F&B

Whiff Thu 16-Sep-21 12:53:55

DOH must look at date thread was started in future??????

NotSpaghetti Wed 15-Sep-21 15:30:23

Little Green do have some lovely different shades.
I'd ask for a shade card online.

Elless Wed 15-Sep-21 15:22:30

Ah yes greige that's it blush I was pleased to read it though because I've just painted the whole downstairs in matching shades of 'greige', it also said pampas grass is out and bunny tails are in and I've got those too smile I even went and bought some matchpots and did my own canvas paintings so they matched my colour scheme perfectly.

Lincslass Wed 15-Sep-21 14:36:37

petitpois

Synonymous - we already have a pale green living room... wink It is my favourite colour. Suspect even if the bedroom walls are grey I'm going to go with green accents on cushions etc.
Thanks for the advice - will have to look out for a Dulux centre...?! We've only got a Homebase and a Wickes that I know of nearby but I like the idea of having more choice.

There is a Dulux area in Homebase, and Wickes, is usuall the norm , and both have areas where you can have paints mixed.
Happy painting.

Curlywhirly Wed 15-Sep-21 14:28:01

midgey

I would imagine that the OP may have selected her paint colour by now as the thread is five years old!

???

MayBeMaw Wed 15-Sep-21 12:10:02

merlotgran

It’s called greige, Elless

Farrow and Ball could call it, ‘Ageing white knickers’. ?

A shade we can all recognise!
(And no sillier a name than “Sulking Room Pink”)

merlotgran Wed 15-Sep-21 12:02:25

Dulux Egyptian Cotton has always been my ‘go to’ greige.

Goes with everything.

Whiff Wed 15-Sep-21 11:55:21

My photography is rubbish. Looks better in real life.
Nice pale grey.

Whiff Wed 15-Sep-21 11:52:58

Think this is a better picture.

Whiff Wed 15-Sep-21 11:48:08

This is Dulux frosted steel I have it in my living room. White ceiling and woodwork.

Chewbacca Wed 15-Sep-21 11:12:41

Farrow and Ball "greige" is Elephant's Breath and is a lovely versatile colour. I've got F&B's Cornforth White, Ammonite and Pointing in my living room but, from the looks of it, will need to go green envy (not envy)

merlotgran Wed 15-Sep-21 11:08:14

It’s called greige, Elless

Farrow and Ball could call it, ‘Ageing white knickers’. ?