Gransnet forums

House and home

If invited, would you live in a log cabin - in your son's garden...?

(82 Posts)
DeeTales Sat 03-Sep-16 18:37:06

It's not a very big garden either. Long under discussion. Currently, I'm single, reasonably healthy with a busy lifestyle - and have a brave daughter-in-law! And 7 grandchildren not all in the same garden...The cabin build begins on Monday. My new Blog is also under construction. This will feature day to day, week to week, my thoughts and feelings at this (radical) move plus the occasional reference on Twitter (DeesKDiary) My 30th, and final, house move is but a few weeks away. Please, gransnetters, your support and encouragement would be appreciated.

Ana Sat 03-Sep-16 18:38:51

hmm

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 03-Sep-16 18:43:01

Bloody hell - no!

Haven't read the thread, but a nice brick, fully insulated, granny annexe for me thank you.

J52 Sat 03-Sep-16 18:44:32

Sounds a bit restricting for me, is it like a mobile home? Anyway good luck and enjoy it.

aggie Sat 03-Sep-16 18:44:40

I am with you in this one Jingle !

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 03-Sep-16 18:45:17

Oh sorry. blush

It's advertising a blog, or something, isn't it. Sure it will be lovely. Blog and cabin. Good luck. Perhaps don't have an open fire.

Riverwalk Sat 03-Sep-16 19:07:11

jings grin

30th move? shock It might not be your last.

No cosy hut at the end of the garden for me .... the big house or nothing.

tanith Sat 03-Sep-16 19:13:36

No hut for me either thanks , good luck

kittylester Sat 03-Sep-16 19:17:51

Do GNHQ now about the advertising? I'm staying put anyway!

merlotgran Sat 03-Sep-16 19:21:08

Some log cabins are really nice but having spent most of last year converting a building into a low maintenance, fully insulated granny pad at the end of our very large garden...I'm with jingl.

Ilrina Sat 03-Sep-16 19:25:39

sounds like a great adventure to me but with a built in safety net.
Go for it!!

Maranta Sat 03-Sep-16 19:30:50

Which country are you in DeeTales?. If you are in USA or Canada, yes I would love it. If in the UK, no thanks. Why? - space.

MamaCaz Sat 03-Sep-16 19:50:56

It depends on so many things, such as how big will the log cabin be, how well insulated is it, will there be any rent to pay on it, are there any strings attached, would son's family respect my independance, how open / isolated is the garden?
I am coming at this from the angle of someone who lived for many years on a narrowboat and could cope with a smaller living space, but who would struggle to adapt to the confines of an enclosed garden that precluded regular contact with passers-by.

I sorely miss my past life now, and often say that I could live in a tiny home as long as it was in the right location and had the right sort of outside space (think American-style porch on two or three sides, and ideally on a canal towpath!!!).

Wobblybits Sat 03-Sep-16 20:04:09

Co-incidentaly our son is trying to buy a farmhouse with barns etc at this very moment. He is hoping to convert one of the barns into an annex for us when we (or any of their friends) visit.
A well built and insulated log cabin would be just as comfortable as a brick building. Go for it.

Jalima Sat 03-Sep-16 20:13:17

How big is big? A tiny suburban garden or an acre?

It is all relevant to where you are, if Australia or Canada perhaps yes, as a 'small back yard' could be five acres hmm

willsmadnan Sat 03-Sep-16 20:41:17

I would love it... but then conventional bricks and mortar seem like a prison to me right now. I would love to live in a log cabin....always have done, even from a child. Seems to me like the ultimate comfort blanket...... I'd happily settle for a houseboat but don't think I could afford it. Just don't want to be confined by what's considered to be suburban living. Even our house in France is/was a bit too 'ordinaire' for me tho' DOH loved it. I guess I'm a frustrated homeowner. If I won the lotto ( well, I'd have to buy a ticket first) I'd buy one of those eco houses built into a hillside. My dream house!! Away from the madding crowd.

Jalima Sat 03-Sep-16 20:52:36

No, because the only place would be next to the trampoline.

DeeTales Sat 03-Sep-16 20:57:31

Interesting comments !!! Thanks. Very well built cedar wood, insulated etc, heated, wood burner. Cosy. My design. No, UK garden (relatively) small. I shall be totally independent, bathing, cooking. Very used to small space living. Planning Ok. NO council tax. What am I advertising? The Blog is not active but I would hope to offer it to this site eventually.

Auntieflo Sat 03-Sep-16 21:10:43

Now you've gone and spoiled my day dream. ? When DD and SIL moved to their house they had a summer house erected. ? I earmarked it for me when they had central heating and a jacuzzi installed. Then, when I shuffle off this mortal coil they can wrap me in a black sack and throw me over the fence into the Church graveyard. This was 16/17 years ago, and I am still awaiting the summer house upgrade. ?

morethan2 Sat 03-Sep-16 21:13:14

Why? To free up capital? For an experiment? To be on hand for for brave DiL. I have a very brave sick DiL but I'm not sure I'd want to live in their log cabin. Yes it's next to the trampoline popular with their three little ones and all their friends, I don't think I'd have a moments peace. why would you? there must be a reason. I could understand a blog if your going to live somwhere out of the ordinary. The answer is a big fat no unless there was a very very good reason I won't be moving into my sons log cabin.

DeeTales Sat 03-Sep-16 21:33:41

My purchase. Their suggestion. Children older. Trampoline and swings have gone!!
Been a tenant for some years. We live in same town anyway. Tolerance on both sides, methinks. Usually find plenty to write about...

morethan2 Sat 03-Sep-16 21:46:55

Ah I get it now. I suppose if it makes economic sense and means you have family near in case of an emergency it's much the same as downsizing to a granny annex.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 03-Sep-16 22:45:15

I wouldn't like all that wood around me. It would be like being dead I think it would be claustrophobic.

merlotgran Sat 03-Sep-16 22:49:46

We stayed in a log cabin once on holiday. It was so lovely I reckoned I wouldn't mind living in one.

Synonymous Sat 03-Sep-16 23:33:49

This is not a simple question as there are too many unknowns.
It would depend where it was. On a busy road - no! A fantastic view - perhaps. More economical - possibly.
How long is a piece of string? hmm