Gransnet forums

House and home

Changing the bedding

(182 Posts)
Mumsy Wed 14-Dec-16 07:27:24

I was listening to the radio and there had been a survey about how often do you wash your bed linen. I was shocked at the results as the majority of single men wash their bed linen four times a year!! the majority of single women wash theres every 3-4 weeks.
Im single and do mine every week and my mother was the same. Am I a clean freak grin

grannypiper Wed 14-Dec-16 08:04:01

When i had the 3 children at home i done a bedding and towel wash every day, which meant every fifth day you had clean bedding and towels, now its just DH and i most of the time towels are washed twice a week but bedding only once a week, DH would leave it months and after i changed my DF'S bed the other day ( first time he has ever let anyone help)and told him that i would do it again next week his reply was "no, that will fine until Easter !

Christinefrance Wed 14-Dec-16 08:40:01

I'm not that organised grannypiper. I do like to change the bedding fortnightly ( shock, horror ) towels though quite frequently, why does my husband never get his hands clean under the tap, residue always on the towel.. Time seems to get away from me and I suddenly realise I haven't changed the beds.

Rinouchka Wed 14-Dec-16 08:44:14

Weekly for bedding and towels. It was a trial with four children at home but did it weekly then as well. My husband would notice and would probably leave it for longer! Love the smell of clean sheets,

kittylester Wed 14-Dec-16 08:57:35

I do towels weekly, apart from the downstairs loo which I change twice a week and the kitchen similarly. Bedding fortnightly on the day our cleaner does upstairs. The bedroom luxury it's lively but it's down hill all the way from then.

Spare beds I change just before someone comes to stay as it might be the same person and I don't bother in that case. blush

kittylester Wed 14-Dec-16 08:58:30

Bloody phone- the bedroom looks lovely but!!

DaphneBroon Wed 14-Dec-16 09:14:15

Likewise, beds fortnightly towels weekly -but any of those more frequently if necessary! Good point about spare beds especially the double, but it does feel good to know there are clean sheets on in an emergency. ??
Teatowels, dishcloths more or less daily -when the spirit moves or there is room in the machine.
I am sure we wash far more often than our mothers did, the ease of having the gadgets makes it less of an ordeal.

mumofmadboys Wed 14-Dec-16 10:08:20

I would love to wash our bedding weekly but it is usually fortnightly.

tanith Wed 14-Dec-16 10:13:28

Bedding weekly in Winter but more often in Summer as I do like fresh sheets/pillow cases when its warm at night. Bath/shower towels weekly, hand towels every other day and clean tea towels every day.

Magrithea Wed 14-Dec-16 10:15:56

Weekly for towels and fortnightly for bedding. DS who still lives at home would wallow in the same bedlinen for weeks if allowed!

If guests stay then some 'sheet sluttery' goes on! Pillow slips changed but not necessarily whole bed if only been slept in one night!

grin shock

Kittye Wed 14-Dec-16 10:16:52

I change bedding weekly, bath towels every other day, hand and tea towels at least once a day. I'd love clean bedding every day( there's nothing like clean sheets) but I don't have the energy. When I win the lottery I'll pay someone to do it ?

Rosina Wed 14-Dec-16 10:18:06

Bed linen and towels weekly - tea towels and dishcloths daily. Like hanging sheets on the line, hate draping them in the spare bedroom this time of year, but they are dry pretty well in a day and then a quick ten minute tumble ensures no ironing. Love clean sheets to slide into!

adaunas Wed 14-Dec-16 10:22:24

Bedding fortnightly in winter, except pillow cases which are once or twice a week depending if I put an extra wash on. Hand towels weekly or same as pillow cases. Bath towels fortnightly or sometimes weekly especially in summer when they're easier to dry.

Barmyoldbat Wed 14-Dec-16 10:24:05

Mostly weekly but sometimes more in summer. Spare bed is when the mood takes me or if a visitor is coming. Out here the cleaner is in as quick as a flash and changes the sheets daily, tried to outwit her and make the bed and tidy room but makes no difference still does it. Kittly saw the word lively and the word bedroom, did wonder what was coming next!

mischief Wed 14-Dec-16 10:24:59

I live on my own and don't have many visitors staying so it's only me using the towels, sheets, tea towels etc. Therefore I change my bedding about every 2-3 weeks, although pillowcase every week. Towels, tea towels, kitchen hand towels every week.

If I lived with someone I would wash the bedding every week as I used to when I was married. Spare room is changed after each visit.

DanniRae Wed 14-Dec-16 10:26:16

I change the bottom sheet weekly and the duvet and pillow cases every two weeks. They get turned over after a week to other side. Bath towels every week - hand towels more often.

ellarussell Wed 14-Dec-16 10:36:06

I just love the feel of clean sheets - especially if they've been dried on the line, so I change the bedding whenever I fancy cheering myself up in that way.

Pinkshoes26 Wed 14-Dec-16 10:36:20

I have always changed all bedding weekly and towels are often put in the wash basket.
Kitchen towels are almost daily.
Guest bedroom bedding is washed as soon as the leave.

DotMH1901 Wed 14-Dec-16 10:38:02

Bedding weekly - I do my granddaughters bedding together on one day, then the grandson, then mine, then my daughter's bed. With five of us in the house I am washing everyday anyway - towels go in daily as they are used.

SerendipitySmith Wed 14-Dec-16 10:38:12

Bedding weekly, bath towels less often, hand towels more often.

nipsmum Wed 14-Dec-16 10:41:04

Towels in kitchen every day. Bathroom every second day. Bed linen fortnightly.

Luckygirl Wed 14-Dec-16 10:42:17

I have avoided reading this thread as I knew you would all be wonderfully efficient and clean-living. I will not tell you how often we change ours, as you might never speak to me again!! grin

Kim19 Wed 14-Dec-16 10:42:34

Morning ladies! I was a weekly robotic laundress until one day about a year ago when I was admiring the 'smooth loveliness' of the sheets I was about to change. I live alone, shower at least once a day, and thought 'this is a crazy habit'. Took a bit to get used to the idea but now I'm fine with 2-3 weeks. Furthermore I am still an ironer of these items so what I've saved in time, money and effort is considerable. It sometimes takes time and awareness to stop 'daft' practices. At least we're still thinking!

Diddy1 Wed 14-Dec-16 10:44:12

Bedding when the fancy takes me, towels weekly.

pollyperkins Wed 14-Dec-16 10:44:45

I have always changed sheets weekly (on Fridays usually!) and DH strips and remakes the bed for me as he loves the clean sheets on Friday night! Towels also weekly or more often if needed. I have to admit to being a bit lazy about guest beds if only used for one night. I tend to leave them in case one of us wants to go in another bed for any reason (usually because of colds, coughs, snoring etc, not marital discord! ) and change before th next lot of visitors. If its the same visitor (family) I sometimes leave the sheets but DH thinks that's terrible so I dont tell him. DD doesnt care!