Gransnet forums

House and home

Are you ready for Christmas?

(46 Posts)
DaphneBroon Wed 14-Dec-16 07:36:37

How I hate that question!! What does it mean?
Cards written ✔️Ah, but posted? ✖️? Cake and or pudding made bought ✔️ Presents bought and wrapped? ✔️Food ordered or at least on a list? ✔️ Beds made up and ready for visitors? ✖️?Have you finally got to the bottom of the ironing pile? No way ✖️
Got the "Christmas spirit? tchhmm

So what does it mean to you?
Apart from my annual dream that it is Christmas morning and oops who forgot to buy a turkey, I suspect that Christmas will come whether or not I have done all of the above!

kittylester Wed 14-Dec-16 07:47:03

This made me grin, Db!

I aim to finish the wrapping and do some ironing today and them I'm scarily ready!

I'm just wondering what I've forgotten. I have ordered the turkey but there must be something I haven't thought of!!

morethan2 Wed 14-Dec-16 07:53:01

Nope I'm not ready. It's the same every year I get off to a flying start, loose momentum then panic at the last minute. I was chatting the other day about Christmases past when my children were little. Along with all the other stresses I used clean the house from top to bottom and I mean clean. I look back with regret and think I must have been mad. I should have just tidied up and enjoyed the build up. I've learnt my lesson. There's so much coming and going no one notices and Christmas is messy, wrapping paper, crackers, party poppers, laughter and fun all with copious amounts of food and alcohol and the celebration of family being together. tchsmile happy Christmas

sunseeker Wed 14-Dec-16 08:00:25

I thought I was the only one who had the dream about waking up Christmas morning and not having bought any food, presents or put up decorations!!

I THINK I have bought all the presents (although there is bound to be someone I have forgotten), have written cards but not posted them, certainly not got to the bottom of the ironing pile (doesn't everyone hide it in a spare room?)tchgrin Not even made a list of food although as I am on my own I don't have to buy too much.

gillybob Wed 14-Dec-16 08:09:30

Nowhere near ready and there are not enough days/hours left for me. I am at work all day today then at football watching DGS (late home) work again tomorrow and Friday. I have the DGC Friday night and Saturday night . They are going home for a brief visit hmm on Sunday night , I am at work all day Monday then they are back at mine on Monday tea time until Wednesday lunch time when DDiL finishes work then I am dashing off to work myself. No doubt will be a late finish, then work Thursday.

I still have presents to buy, haven't wrapped a thing. No food ordered this year so I have a food shop to do, cards to write, the house to sort out (not to mention that stinky rug) . I am going to have a hell of a lot to do on Christmas Eve, eve! I'm shattered even thinking about it.

Welshwife Wed 14-Dec-16 08:19:48

I am not ready really. We are once again spending the day here in France with other Brit friends. We all contribute to the meal - I have made the puddings and have some veg to do etc.
We all buy a present (10€Limit) and we do a sort of raffle. Of course I need to get two from us. One I got is a little alarm clock. Asked OH to fit a battery but he discovered a fault that the battery kept falling out of the case so instead of allowing me to take it back he has 'fixed' it with sticking some rubber padding on. However being male he also had a play and set the alarm - now he cannot switch it off -- so it is sitting in my utility room ringing away at 7 each morning!

thatbags Wed 14-Dec-16 08:20:50

If anyone is in a flap, good-humoured or otherwise, about xmas it's because they choose to be. I reckon people enjoy it.

nanaK54 Wed 14-Dec-16 08:45:57

Nope not 'ready' here, but then I don't want to peak too soon ?

kittylester Wed 14-Dec-16 09:00:02

In my calculations, Christmas was this weekend so I did peak too soon!

DaphneBroon Wed 14-Dec-16 09:08:06

gillybob I feel shattered reading what you are hopingplanning to do tchsad
Have a brew and see if you can't delegate some (all?) of it

NanaandGrampy Wed 14-Dec-16 09:31:56

I was born ready !!!!

I am a true Christmas a holic ( if that's possible)

I start planning around Easter , start shopping in August, wrap as I go and all the rest falls into place. Its my favourite time of year and if I wasn't this organised I suspect I would get stressed , instead I just roll with it , if its done that's great if its not then c'est la vie - I'm sure no one will notice ( and they wouldn't dare say so smile)

Gillybob I am happy to take over all your Christmas chores smile I'd love it !!

Greyduster Wed 14-Dec-16 09:55:05

Not a hope. We will boldly go (yes I know, split infinitive) this morning to finish buying the Christmas presents. We haven't got our decorations or tree up - I was hoping that in that task we would be ably hmm assisted by GS during our usual two day school holiday babysitting stint, but plans have changed and, if he is here at all, he will hardly have time to take off his coat before he is off again sad. I don't have to worry about Christmas dinner this year so only have food to buy for Boxing Day. I'm sure we will get there in the end!

gillybob Wed 14-Dec-16 10:16:52

Where are you NanaandGrampy? I could send you a list tchsmile

This happens to me every year mind you, so nothing unusual. I usually do other members of the family's shopping and jobs too DaphneBroon so not sure who I could delegate to? They end up all done and dusted and I am running around at the last minute like someone not right!

I had to laugh last night. I took my dad for his shopping (I also shop for the old lady next door to him) I picked the DGC up from school then made their tea at my dads house. My dad and the children were playing postman, handing Christmas cards out and "bragging" to anyone that would listen, that he "was all done and just waiting for Santa Claus" I was thinking "no bloody wonder you are all ready. I have done it all for you" tchgrin

ninathenana Wed 14-Dec-16 10:20:24

I have one present to get but I'm buying it on behalf of S.
Wrapping......no
Tree and decs up........this afternoon
Cards.......yes posted
Food.........I buy a couple of non perishables a week
Meat including turkey..........in freezer
Spare bed made.....no

Kim19 Wed 14-Dec-16 11:01:03

I would say 'Is Christmas ready for US?! Bring it on.

Elegran Wed 14-Dec-16 11:15:33

Nearly all presents bought, not wrapped because no wrapping paper. One present to get, no idea what. The thing I got for him turned out to be unsuitable and was replanned to someone else, but not yet replaced.

Cards written but not posted, no stamps. One letter still to write. One parcel still to be packed and taken to PO. When is the deadline for that? It must be imminent. Still have the donated Secret Santa gifts from the GN meet to take to Crisis At Christmas - down at the foot of the Royal Mile, which I think will be two buses away.

Decs not going up until I have removed the thick layer of dust they would be sitting in. Tree and decs still in attic. Will get DD to bring them down this weekend, if she accompanies SiL when he comes to fix a new toilet seat. If not, I'll be braving the ladder myself while he is here (SiL not good on ladders) to ring emergency services if I fall off.

Eating at DSs so no need to buy turkey or seek out rare sprouts or make puds, so thought I'd bake instead. Have all the ingredients to make panettone, amaretti and buttered almonds, just need the time to faff around in the kitchen and the courage to start, as two of the three are new recipes to me.

Elegran Wed 14-Dec-16 11:16:54

Spare bed not need and anyway is covered in presents (not wrapped)
Ironing? What's that?

rosesarered Wed 14-Dec-16 11:19:04

Yes, cards sent, presents all wrapped, house decorated for Christmas and a lot of the food and drinks bought, everything perfect.......wait! That was a dream. tchgrin

Worthingpatchworker Wed 14-Dec-16 11:27:12

I'm having a mental block re Christmas. I've never been a lover of Christmas cards....especially now we have emails, Facebook and Skype. I would rather give the money direct to a charity. I also, despair when people can't decide what they want and say 'nothing' or they want money. Again I would rather give money direct to a charity in their name. I know that, with young children around, it has a real purpose but otherwise it is just a very commercial event with shops trying to make as much money as they do the rest of the year. It is, also, for many people, the only time of the year they go to church.
However, tree is up, cards waiting to be posted, lights twinkling, food ordered.....Ho Ho Ho.....

hulahoop Wed 14-Dec-16 11:35:15

No not yet I have presents to wrap trimmings to put up all cards are sent most of food bought I'm not stressing just going with flow ?

Skweek1 Wed 14-Dec-16 12:02:47

I am gradually getting better at organising - when I was still working, I used to joke that I would deal with Xmas presents, food was a family commitment, but I would always get to Christmas Eve only to remember that I hadn't bought (let alone send) a single card! This year I have done most of my cards, need to deal with a couple of stocking fillers and wrap presents (a traditional Christmas Eve ritual over a mug of mulled wine/cider) and although we haven't done the food list, it is all paid for in advance.

felice Wed 14-Dec-16 12:04:00

Just posted the last 3 cards, I only send 10, I heard on the BBC that there is going to be a postal strike in the UK next week.
They are of course the important ones so I hope they get there in time.

harrigran Wed 14-Dec-16 12:26:39

As far as I know the strike is with post office counter workers and nothing to do with deliveries and sorting.
Presents for GC bought but not wrapped. Some food in freezer. Cards written and posted except for neighbours.

Diddy1 Wed 14-Dec-16 12:26:49

Already, cards posted, cards to the UK posted by my neighbour in the UK (I wrote them while on a visit, and she posted them,saved a fortune) presents wrapped, no food bought, because we are visiting Cornwall for Christmas, and will be buying when we get there next week(hope there is something left) thats why I have been so efficient this year, needs must!

gillybob Wed 14-Dec-16 12:30:05

Yes you are right harrigran I have just spoke to our postman at work and he has confirmed this.