Gransnet forums

House and home

Concerns about strange comings and goings

(33 Posts)
westerlywind Tue 27-Dec-16 19:57:55

Firstly I will admit that since being left of my own in the house I do not feel as safe as I used to.
There is a house which can be seen clearly from my house. This house is owned by people who used to live there but for the last 10 or 12 years they have rented it out. Over these years there has been a procession of tenants, some have been from just a bit different to downright criminals which involved the appearance of Armed Police. There have been fights and the house has been totally wrecked a few times by tenants or perhaps those not happy with the tenants.
For the last couple of years the house has been rented to foreign folks, but various different groups and or families. A few weeks age a group of perhaps 3 young women have moved in. There are male callers at the house frequently. These are not the same nationality as the tenants and some appear to be local. I have had someone knock on my door, who had no explanation for being there, he just said Hi and left when I said I don't know him. Every night in the small hours about 3 or 4 ish a car arrives in the street with a distinctive feature. No-one goes to the door without pacing up and down on the phone and then as they walk to the door it opens and they go in. Often there are 2 men in the middle of the night and one will go in the house while the other stays outside for a while and then goes in.
I am not even sure what I think is going on in the house, I have a few thoughts. Having had gang fights, armed police and every other type of strange people in the street I find I am greatly worried about what is going on as I am here alone. I also have DGC to stay at times and I don't want anyting questionable around them.
What does anyone else think of this and what perhaps should I do other than move away from the house in which my whole life has happened
Thank you

Cherrytree59 Tue 27-Dec-16 20:10:38

Other than saying speak to your local police about your concerns.
I'm afraid I would move.
Sad that it has been your life time home.
But you must put the safety of yourself and your DGC first.
Have you discussed your concerns with you DC?

Good luck

vampirequeen Tue 27-Dec-16 20:18:44

Sounds like some working girls are living there. I would have a word with the police because you don't want a brothel on your doorstep, not because of the girls but because of the men it may attract. Also it's possible the girls are not working of their own free will. The police won't say who's contacted them.

westerlywind Tue 27-Dec-16 20:22:40

Thanks Cherrytree for your comments.
I think it is time to go for the last resort of moving away, my own safety and that of the DGC are much more important than bricks and mortar.
I have not discussed the recent changes with my own DC because when I brought up the subject of moving with regard to a house with fewer stairs outside and inside they were against me moving at all. They are less open to the idea change than me.
As you said my safety and the DGC is the high priority here. I will start looking after Christmas and New Year.

westerlywind Tue 27-Dec-16 20:28:37

Vampirequeen. That is one of the things I am thinking about. Another is drug involvement. There have been such a lot of persons in and out the house that I have thought of people trafficking.
I can hardly believe all that has happened in the past and what may be going on now. This is a very ordinary street with very nondescript people living here mostly for decades and houses going down families. I suppose it just might be the perfect place to carry on a criminal activity.
Thanks for comments and views. What has been said by others here confirms exactly what I have been thinking myself but did not have faith in my own judgement.

FarNorth Tue 27-Dec-16 20:31:36

Your DC may be more in favour of you moving if they understand your concerns about safety.

westerlywind Tue 27-Dec-16 20:41:00

I have just checked the local Police website and got information under "most often asked questions". It says to report it via police or anonymously through crimestoppers.
I think I will go the anonymous route.
Thanks for your reassurance that I am not losing my marbles.

cornergran Tue 27-Dec-16 20:57:02

Definitely not losing your marbles. Report your worries in the way you feel safest. If you know your neighbours well might you ask their thoughts? I hope the situation, whatever it is, can be managed appropriately and your worries subside.

f77ms Tue 27-Dec-16 21:19:19

Do report it Westerly , it sounds as if it could be drugs or even trafficked girls used as prostitutes . xx

westerlywind Tue 27-Dec-16 21:22:37

Cornergran - I would speak if a neighbour spoke to me about their concerns but they all keep themselves very much to themselves here.
I still think the anonymous report through Crimestoppers is my best option. I do not want Police coming to my house as that would be very obvious. There appears to be someone in one of the rooms facing my way all the time. All other windows have the blinds closed.
Thank you for reassurance

westerlywind Tue 27-Dec-16 21:23:16

f77ms - I am going to.

Annierose Tue 27-Dec-16 22:03:41

I would definitely use Crimestoppers, rather than reporting it personally.

I have found that researching and thinking 'what if' is a good way to contemplate a major change. Rather than deciding to move, begin by getting a valuation, look at suitable properties, do your sums, think about how it would affect social contact (the wanted kind!). As you gather information, an answer will emerge.

For me, one of the major issues would be the other neighbours. if you are generally happy there, and get on well with others, then you may find that if this gets shut down, the problem will cease. I have known this where brothel / dealers were operating out of otherwise pleasant areas. But if it feels as if your street is becoming unsafe and you are not comfortable generally, then time to move.

So sorry you are going through this

Ana Tue 27-Dec-16 22:25:03

If you own your house it might be harder to sell if there is a known problem in the neighbourhood.

If renting, I'd have thought you have good reason to either ask to be moved or find somewhere else in a safer area.

westerlywind Tue 27-Dec-16 22:43:23

Thank you Annierose and Ana.
I had originally planned to move once I was alone. I got ill unexpectedly and older as well which stopped me in this place. Now I am on the level with my health and for a number of reasons I think it is likely to be better for me to move. I actually own this house. I have already tentatively been looking at other properties and had this one valued by an Estate Agent as well as watching the prices of local properties.
The problem of the "strange comings and goings" is more of a reason to move sooner rather than later. There are other things in the area that make me wonder. There are parking problems with a lot of nippy comments. I have stayed here without family for a while now and it is so lonely without all the people who used to live here. The majority died and others grew up and started lives of their own.
Could be best to get the house up for sale as soon as possible after the Christmas and New Year period and just bite the bullet and move to a fresh start.
Thanks to everyone. You have given me good points to ponder and reassurance that you can see what I think is going on here. I am able to move myself quickly to another place while selling this house, which is very lucky.

Bellanonna Tue 27-Dec-16 23:43:49

Avoid making an official complaint as you would have to declare that on the Enquiries before Contract (if they are still called that). That would then make it more difficult for you to sell. What a problem you gave and I do agree with you that moving would be the best thing to do especially as it doesn't seem to be a friendly road anyway. I do wish you all the best..

Bellanonna Tue 27-Dec-16 23:45:20

Have, not gave. I always blame the iPad !

westerlywind Wed 28-Dec-16 00:46:43

Hi Bellanona
I think I will move out before I will do anything. I am worried enough without making more problems to worry about. I don't think we have an Enquiries before Contract here but I will ask my solicitor. (Scotland)
It is no use living where there is more worrying points than advantages.
Move it is then
Thanks for replying

DanniRae Wed 28-Dec-16 16:28:41

Oh westerlywind you sound so worried - I hope you manage to move away as soon as possible and I send you my best wishes xx

Annierose Wed 28-Dec-16 18:09:54

That is one reason I suggest Crimestoppers - you can even ring from a public callbox (there are still a few!) and you don't have to declare it.
However, you must get on and do what is right for you. One word of caution - do be sure about where you move to, don't jump quickly because you are worried.
Are you able to stay with a relative or friend for a few days, especially if you want to look round another area?

westerlywind Thu 29-Dec-16 01:47:47

Hi DanniRae and Annierose
I was up till about 4 or 5 am last night and now at just after 1.30 a number of people have arrived at the house in question and one of the cars is quite noisy. They have all gone into the house.
I don't see much hope of the local police or the Council who are supposed to regulate private landlords actually doing much.
I can only assume that the only way to change things is for me to move on. I am concerned about what I might move into so a lot of checking and looking around will need to be done.
I don't really have anyone who I would want to stay with or to come here to stay with me. I did mention my thoughts to a DC and the response was quite negative before I even explained fully so I stopped. One of the major problems is that none of my family showed me any support or sympathy at the point of death or in the days, weeks and months following.
I will get on with it under my own sail and present the outcome as a fait accompli.
Thank you for your kind words. I am very worried, scared and disappointed.

westerlywind Thu 29-Dec-16 03:40:13

It is now 03.33 and I have not slept. Two females from the house left in a car about 30 minutes ago. This car was idling in the street for a while which is why I looked out. It did not have taxi plates.
These girls are of foreign appearance but not modestly dressed wearing high wedge type glitter shoes, tight trousers and a skimpy top, no jacket or coat. There just has to be something not right about this.
It is definitely not right that I am up at this time of night for the umpteenth night in a row because of the cars coming a and going.
Meanwhile I have come to an idea of how to get myself to safety as fast as possible. Saying nothing until it is done.
Thanks for bearing with me while I worry myself into a tizz

rubylady Thu 29-Dec-16 05:05:10

westerly I am up too, but because of pain, not because of anything untoward happening but I do sympathise with you. Has it gone quiet now? Have you managed to get some sleep?

When anyone wants to make an appointment to view your property, then make sure that the estate agent is there to show them round and that they are of good character, not people similar to the ones living in this house or the landlord as that wouldn't be good neither.

You are in a very strange position to be put in as I wouldn't want to sell to a family knowing that this sort of behaviour could be going on. I had a problem with a neighbour in my former home, but told the council who did nothing to move him so we moved instead and it was the best thing I did. Only problem was, probably another family are now living with him causing trouble. But then I did tell police and council and still nothing was done. As this is your own property, then maybe get some legal advice first before putting it on the market.

As for your family not caring, it's not them dealing with it, is it? They should care, they should be looking out for you and helping you through this but sometimes we have to do it for ourselves because they just don't give one. I have the same problem. I ask other people to help now instead. Look for someone who can help pack up for you, there will be people around who do that. Look for a cleaner to give it a once over when you are ready to go. Look for a handyman to help with any jobs taking furniture apart to move. It is doable without family. Then, if they won't grow the seed and harvest the wheat, they don't get to eat the bread.

Take care love, keep posting. I am usually up at this time so let me know how you are. Xxx

Bellanonna Thu 29-Dec-16 23:53:23

Ruby, what a lovely person you are.
Westerlywind, you are making yourself ill. House moves are slow so if there is nowhere you can go is there a room at the back you could sleep in, just so that you don't keep having to go to the window? You do mention an alternative plan and perhaps you will put that into action, but you still need to contact an estate agent. Even though you are not in contact with neighbours could you not just knock on someone's door who might also be in view of that house and ask if they've noticed anything odd? Or could you contact the Police anonymously describing what you've seen ? I'm not sure if they act on anonymous reports - might be worth finding out. If it were me, I just wouldn't want to lodge one officially. I hope your interim plan works out. Do get back to us and just talk if it helps.

cornergran Fri 30-Dec-16 04:09:36

Hope you are asleep tonight, westerley, your situation worries me. Did you use Crimestoppers? If not, please do as it's a safe way of sharing your concerns. I would hope for police action to check out the safety of the young women you describe. If things then quieten down for a bit it gives you breathing space to plan your move. I am sorry your family are unhelpful, you don't say how recently you have been left alone, are you all grieving and so they are finding it hard to face another loss? As ruby says there are others you can organise to help when the time comes. I certainly wouldn't attempt to pack up a family home alone. You must think of your safety and wellbeing and that of your grandchildren, I hope your family will understand, please let us know how you are getting on.

vampirequeen Fri 30-Dec-16 11:39:44

Did you contact Crimestoppers, westerley. If not please think about the pm I sent you.