Gransnet forums

House and home

Dyson cordless

(28 Posts)
DaphneBroon Wed 11-Jan-17 16:06:34

So I have just unwrapped my sale purchase ( £100 off from JL) and am hoping that by keeping a lightweight Dyson "Hoover" upstairs I will be able to deal with the odd (?) upstairs incident with the paper shredder, crumbs, fluff etc etc which I tend to ignore until the cleaner comes every fortnight.
OK so clearly a slattern by nature, but honestly carting the Miehle hoover up and down the stairs just exhausts me on its own.
Has anybody got encouraging remarks to reassure me that this was not a vain attempt to keep the Broon family out of the mire?

gillybob Wed 11-Jan-17 16:09:39

I have got a Dyson cordless (have had it a few years now). I live in a 3 storey house and carrying the big hoover up and down 2 flights is a killer. Have you got the kind that re-charges DaphneBroon? You will need to have a charging point. DH fitted ours inside a cupboard so it just hangs conveniently on the wall. I love it.

DaphneBroon Wed 11-Jan-17 16:12:31

Just what I wanted to hear Gillybob thank you. I hope to be able to fix the charging pod in the airing cupboard or at a pinch in a spare bedroom but that was the idea.

gillybob Wed 11-Jan-17 16:17:47

My charger is on the wall in my upstairs linen cupboard. Its ideal and the little tools fit neatly underneath. I use it every day just to keep on top of things then DH does a full "proper" vacuum every weekend hmm most hmm some weekends .

I have had mine for quite a while as I said earlier.The battery went after about 2 years (of over use )and Dyson sent a new one FOC. Good as new again.

J52 Wed 11-Jan-17 16:31:39

I've owned one for just over a week! I also got it in the sale. DH thought it was a 'gadget', but guess who has used it most!

It's great for a quick tidy up and doing the car without trailing wires. Ours is charged under the stairs, hardly takes up any room.

grannylyn65 Wed 11-Jan-17 17:01:11

No Daphne, I love mine !! And it wasn't in a sale !

Bbnan Wed 11-Jan-17 17:07:55

Best thing we ever bought....Because it's always on charge you will use it more often

Crafting Wed 11-Jan-17 20:31:45

Love mine too. Bought it in the JL sale 2 years ago and wouldn't be without it.

mrsmopp Thu 12-Jan-17 12:23:20

How does the Dyson compare with the Gtech? I would like one of these but cannot decide. Cannot manage my heavy Dyson cleaner any more. It is efficient but it wears me out!

Auntieflo Thu 12-Jan-17 13:33:42

Vote for the Gtech here. We've had ours for a year or so, and I love it. It is so light and easy to use, charges quickly and seems to do a lot of cleaning on one charge. We have a Henry downstairs and a small Miele upstairs, but this is so easy to grab and go. Wouldn't be without our Gtech now, even though when we bought it I thought it might be a one week wonder.

grannyactivist Thu 12-Jan-17 13:42:31

I won a Dyson Cordless vacuum cleaner on Gransnet in December 2011 and I would be lost without it. I probably would never have bought one myself, but now I wouldn't be without it - and when it finally gives up the ghost I will definitely buy another. It's a marvellous machine.

mrsmopp Thu 12-Jan-17 13:46:19

How does Dyson compare with Gtech? Must get one or the other as old Hoover weighs a ton.

shysal Thu 12-Jan-17 14:10:36

I have a GTECH which I love. It has great suction and the charge lasts much longer than my Dyson hand-held, which I use for the stairs and edges. I see on TV that the GTECH has recently been updated so may be even better now. I have my GTECH upstairs for cat litter tread, and a lightweight corded Dyson downstairs but I have hardly used it since getting the GTECH, which I carry downstairs. Hope this gives you a good comparison.

Purpledaffodil Thu 12-Jan-17 14:47:00

Bought a Dyson cordless as an upstairs vac when DD and her two long haired cats were living here. Hoovered up enough fur for a spare cat almost every day?. Then Dyson asked me to review a new model in exchange for keeping it. Would have been rude to refuse ?. Passed the previous one onto DD for her new home. Now we are two very happy Dyson cordless owners. It's so light, has great suction and empties easily. Much recommended DaphneBroon

downtoearth Thu 12-Jan-17 14:51:24

I have one they are brilliant smile

NanTheWiser Thu 12-Jan-17 17:51:21

I bought a Dyson V6 last year, mainly for doing upstairs, but occasionally downstairs too (I have a Sebo for d/stairs which I love!)and it's a great lightweight vacuum. The difference mrsmopp, is that the top part of the Dyson can be detached to use as a hand-held, which is brilliant for stairs, while the G-Tech doesn't have that facility - you'd have to buy a separate hand-held (which G-Tech also sell). The V6 has about 20 minutes of run-time, I believe the G-Tech is longer but I find 20 minutes is quite long enough for my needs.

NonnaW Thu 12-Jan-17 18:02:12

We have a Dyson V6, bought by DH just before Christmas. I love it, so much easier than the older heavy Dyson. I keep telling DH that he probably thinks it was worth the money just because I use it daily now! It's great for getting up all the dog hair.

Witzend Wed 18-Jan-17 09:28:32

The only problem I had with our cordless Dyson was Dh insistently wanting to fix the plastic bracket to the wall! I did NOT want an ugly bracket on the wall - we don't have a utility or a big kitchen to put it in.
I prevailed, and it's just plugged into a corner of a spare room. If guests need the room I just move it into our room.

I really bought it for upstairs and perhaps the stairs, but use it a lot for a quick clean up downstairs, too. Ended up buying one for dd too, since she has two very little ones and often wants a very quick hoover up of crumbs, etc.

PamelaJ1 Wed 18-Jan-17 12:33:00

I have the opposite problem witzend my husband hates drilling into walls so I just prop mine up next to a plug socket. Seems to work and I have the choice of whichever plug I want to use. Can life get more exciting? If it went wrong I'd definitely buy another.

cornergran Thu 19-Jan-17 05:44:11

Love ours. On the wall in the kitchen next to the fridge. Just where it's needed. Used every day. We bought a version compatible with our upright Dyson (which now only comes out every couple of weeks) so the tools are interchangeable.

Iam64 Thu 19-Jan-17 06:28:54

I've been pondering a cordless dyson type mainly to use on the wooden/karndean floors downstairs. Does is do corners folks, or would i still have to get the brush and brush pan out?

vampirequeen Thu 19-Jan-17 12:18:01

Love my cordless Dyson. Makes life so much easier.

Thingmajig Thu 19-Jan-17 12:21:00

I bought a cordless Dyson almost 3 years ago when we moved here after killing the old monster Electrolux doing the last vacuuming of the old house. It's a brilliant machine and I wouldn't be without it. I have one of these mats for inside the back door and was always impossible to get all the bits of grass etc off with any other vacuum cleaner, but not so with the Dyson ... every spec lifted at the first try.

We got one for my old mum when Aldi had them on sale and she loves hers too.

Best thing since sliced bread!!!

Iam64 Thu 19-Jan-17 20:06:02

I'm finding myself persuaded by this. My current upright Dyson must be 15 years old. It still does sterling service but it's very heavy and I'm finding taking it up and down stairs an increasing faff.

vampirequeen Sun 22-Jan-17 11:52:05

We had an old Dyson. It still worked a treat but was getting noisy. We decided to buy a cordless whilst we had the money knowing that the old Dyson would stop eventually and we needed a new hand held at the time.

Very quickly we were using the cordless all the time and the old one went to a good home via Freegle.