Gransnet forums

House and home

All those Xmas scarves/throws/rugs/ pashminas

(27 Posts)
Collgirl1 Thu 12-Jan-17 10:05:42

I have a great and loving family who give me endless scarves/throws, shawls for Christmas, and what do I do with them all? There is a limit to how many one can actually wear, and then I use them for throws over chairs and sofas. They can disguise boxes. But then what? What do others do with all these lovely things? Should I make them into cushions? What else does anyone suggest?

Greyduster Thu 12-Jan-17 10:24:56

DD has given me a lot of scarves as presents, but I rarely wear any but one which I am particularly fond of. I'm not a scarf person. She also gave me a lovely wrap for my birthday, but had obviously forgotten that I have never worn the one she gave me some years ago which now serves to cover an antique chair belonging to her partner. It was his father's but we have been "looking after it" for some time now hmm. I will make an effort to wear this one though, because I have now found out how much it cost and I am horrified. Too expensive for a chair cover!!

J52 Thu 12-Jan-17 10:25:15

I have used them to cover cheap journal type note books. One book I use to keep a list of the books I have read. DH is instructed to consult it, should I be indisposed befor buying me a new book to read.

rosesarered Thu 12-Jan-17 10:31:50

I have a lot but use them all for their original purpose.grin love scarves of all kinds, and throws.When you find you have too many just wash them and give them to a charity shop.If you live in or near a University city you will find them in demand by students.smile

DaphneBroon Thu 12-Jan-17 10:35:15

We are in for a cold snap and anybody's boiler can play up. Be grateful for the extra layers!!
I suppose cushion covers might be a possibility, but how about trying to wear the scarves and shawls sometimes or snuggle under a throw with a hot chocolate and a box set?

Beammeupscottie Thu 12-Jan-17 10:40:00

I wear a lot of scarves because I always have a cold neck and upper arms. I have been known to sleep in them and always have a pashmina or two on the back of the sofa for wrapping up cozy. My GC play a game with Nanny's scarves. Making tents and a dancing the seven veils!

Jayanna9040 Thu 12-Jan-17 10:54:01

They buy them because they can't think of anything else. Let it be known that you are now passionately interested in and would like to start collecting.............

Collgirl1 Thu 12-Jan-17 12:06:35

All useful thoughts, but I have two throws on the sofa, two on the coffee table (hides the rusty trunk underneath), three on the chair, one on the art box to hide it. I wear at least one in the evening to keep warm, and I don't live anywhere near a university town to give them to a charity shop. I have at least six hanging in the porch. I don't like disposing of them, thinking of all the love which went into choosing them. Oh dear!! And I have forgotten to mention the lovely pashmina still sitting in its packaging in the cupboard - berry red and lovely and soft too.

rosesarered Thu 12-Jan-17 12:14:12

Send it to me! grin

NanaandGrampy Thu 12-Jan-17 12:22:52

If you're crafty - maybe make a quilt? Each scarf is a memory after all? smile

DaphneBroon Thu 12-Jan-17 12:24:57

Form an orderly queue roses!!
Actually I am guilty of owning far more scarves etc than I could wear in a month iof Sundays and I am just about to go and pick up another from Joules!blush
Like a new lippy they lift the spirits!

franjess2000 Thu 12-Jan-17 12:26:30

They make excellent belts for dressing gowns too!

I suggest, you suggest a different pressie next birthday/Xmas

grannyqueenie Thu 12-Jan-17 12:52:38

Budge up daphne or this could end in an undignified scrum!!! grin Scarfs, too many? That it's just not a concept I can identify with! shock

varian Sat 14-Jan-17 22:47:08

When one of my lovely gds recently told me she would like a long floaty scarf, I gave her a silk chiffon scarf I bought in China ten years ago as a present for my late mother. I told my gd where it had come from and how I had retrieved it after Mum had passed away. She didn't mind it wasn't new. She wears it and seems to like it a lot, which makes me hapoy. I'm sure my Mum woukd approve as she was a great believer in getting your moneys worth out of a purchase,

f77ms Sun 15-Jan-17 06:46:12

The charity shop I work in has now started to receive tons of scarfs presumably unwanted Christmas presents . Most of the `donators` are elderly ladies , most get sold back to different elderly ladies !

NanKate Sun 15-Jan-17 08:10:21

Slightly off piste.

My DS over the last few years has given me photographs of our wonderful GSs. They are mostly in frames which adorn every surface in the house. They are also on key rings and calendars. The thing is I want to declutter the house but I can't get rid of the photos. I suppose I could put them in an album and give the frames to the charity shop. It's a problem.

cornergran Sun 15-Jan-17 08:29:56

nankate have you thought of making the photos into a collage? I'm not sure if the technology but it can be done. One large collage somewhere, maybe a wall?

Anya Sun 15-Jan-17 08:36:36

I put the new photos into the frames on top of the old ones. That way when I come to put a new one in I have severel years to memory to look at before dealing everything up again.

I know they won't work forever, but I've bought some lovely boxes too and old photos are consigned to an appropriate box to be looked at occasionally. I suppose the trouble is we have so many photos these days, on phones, iPads, computers, on the cloud etc

NanKate Sun 15-Jan-17 22:00:38

Yes that's a possibility Cornergran.

I also like your idea a lot Anya of placing one on top of another. That's a bit of lateral thinking on your part methinks smile

Humbertbear Mon 16-Jan-17 08:28:00

Collgirl1- how about donating them to your nearest Homeless Shelter?

grannypiper Mon 16-Jan-17 08:32:53

NanKate, i had the same problem, i spend my life taking photographs but i cant stand pictures,ornaments or photographs of people in a room, i feel as though the eyes follow me. My DD sends so many photos of her and her and her husband, her and the children, just the children, all of them together and some of the cat ! When i moved house i told all 6 children that i would only have one framed photo of each of them on display And no more. These are all on top of the sideboard which is behind the diningroom door and means i cant see them as i pass.
The most awful photo present i was given was a set of coasters with my very new DGD photo printed on them, how can you put a boiling hot cup of tea on a childs face ?

Rinouchka Mon 16-Jan-17 08:40:02

I own endless scarves and pashminas but I tend to keep them all, except the colours I do not like.
I still have 3 silk squares that I used to tie sideways around my neck in my days as a student in Paris , one a gift from my first boyfriend.
There is a beautiful cream real pashmina that my son bought me in Nepal in his gap year and trekked back with it in his backpack, not to mention my papa's maroon paisley silk man's scarf, the only luxurious one he had, which I took when he died.
So many scarves, so many memories.

DaphneBroon Mon 16-Jan-17 09:35:07

blushblushblush
I have just bought three more. (Shh) Two from Joules (as I could not make up my mind which colour to get - Checkley, if anybody is tempted interested, and they were half price) and a lovely soft, woolly one, but very fine, which is virtually a shawl

grannyqueenie Mon 16-Jan-17 09:53:05

daphne you're an inspiration and such a good role model, I may feel the need to head off "blue Monday " with a bit of scarf therapy wink

paddyann Mon 16-Jan-17 10:01:45

grannypiper,buy yourself a digital frame and load all those photos onto it,you'll only need one frame and every time you look at it it will have a different image to enjoy