Gransnet forums

House and home

GN is responsible for me buying....

(95 Posts)
Anya Sun 29-Jan-17 14:41:10

My Dyson V6 animal, my new yoghurt maker from Lakeland, my Whizzer (recommended by Ana) from Amazon, my RFID wallet, a chain to keep my purse safe from pick-.pockets, my present Krups coffee machine, numerous spices (low carb thread), my previous car (Nissan Qashqai - Kitty?), my eyebrow powder (had never heard of this before), new denim jeans (John Rocha), crazy Rock 'n Chalk hair colours (pink, purple, green and blue) and ....I could go on and on.

Is it just me? Or have others thought 'that sounds a good idea!' hmm

merlotgran Sun 29-Jan-17 18:57:04

OOh! I forgot to mention the powdered collagen tablets to ease arthritic aching knees.

My knees still ache but my frown lines have disappeared!! grin

rosesarered Sun 29-Jan-17 21:57:40

A certain brand ( forget what!) of cane conservatory furniture, Hotter shoes/boots( love them) and an X hose for watering garden ( brilliant!) Am sure there will be more, need to have a think.

mumofmadboys Sun 29-Jan-17 23:29:57

A soup maker! And I'm delighted with it and use it no end.

Jalima Sun 29-Jan-17 23:38:48

A soup maker, books, can't believe it's not butter for my feet, can't remember anything else so I have bought a notebook to make a list of interesting items with a view to purchasing them.

What is an onion comb shysal?

Now watch the adverts change at the top

cornergran Sun 29-Jan-17 23:54:11

Soup maker. Big hit. Used several times a week.

rubylady Mon 30-Jan-17 01:35:16

Toilet bowl light? Remember that one? I bought two, one for me, one for my little lad. I haven't given it to him yet but will do, it's waiting here with the Donald Trump toilet paper! ?

shysal Mon 30-Jan-17 09:47:26

Jalima, this is an onion comb, avoids smelly fingers!
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Handy-Onion-Holder-Easy-Hold-for-Cutting-Chopping-Tomato-Potato-Wedger-Slicer-/142185095867?hash=item211ae462bb:g:j3wAAOSwux5YMa1d

threexnanny Mon 30-Jan-17 10:02:56

I've followed-up several recommendations from GN - unfortunately I can't remember what they were!! Anyone got any tips on improving your memory?

Bellasnana Mon 30-Jan-17 10:07:53

Yes, I bought an onion comb too but only used it once. More successful purchases from GN recommendations have been my Karcher, which I love and use often, slow cooker, magic lipstick,leggings (never thought of wearing them until I read how many of you do!) probably more things, but I can't recall at the moment. Anyway, it's one of the good things about GN so thanks for the advice. smile

rosesarered Mon 30-Jan-17 10:19:49

Just remembered a handy Lakeland gadget for getting stuck toast out of the toaster ( our toaster never gives up toasted items willinglygrin) and was a tip from Ana
Saved either burned fingers or my being electricuted .

rosesarered Mon 30-Jan-17 10:20:59

Oh, and somebody recommended Lakeland silicone muffin 'caketins' which are brilliant.

annodomini Mon 30-Jan-17 10:31:34

Woolovers - I'm living in their cashmere/merino tunics this winter. I also have a cordless Dyson, whizzer (thanks Ana). I was wearing Hotter shoes long before GNet existed! I may have been one of those who recommended Now the sun has come out and I can see the disgraceful state of my windows - so I am about to look for that Kärcher window washer.

HannahLoisLuke Mon 30-Jan-17 10:32:17

Ooh yes, just bought my Karcher window vac, had to shop around for best deal (Robert Dyas) and I just love it. Everything with a hard surface has been cleaned with it, even done my sisters windows and I hate/hated cleaning windows! Sister now bought one too.
Ditto my Gtec Airam vacuum cleaner. Light, manoeuvrable, goes under the bed, long battery charge, both gadgets have transformed my housework.
Thank you GNs keep it coming.

Kim19 Mon 30-Jan-17 10:37:45

I think this is when GNS really comes into its own. Invaluable opinions based on actual experience of a product or circumstance without any commercial gain at the end of such advice. Just great. Whether or not we end up with 'the product' in question, it broadens our minds and knowledge. I've pursued many a thing as a result of chat here (it's going to be jeans this week) and I so value the in depth thought and result of those who have actually dealt with specific horrid, uncomfortable and joyful dilemmas and are willing to share them. I'm a comparative newcomer to this site but in the main I absolutely love it. I simply withdraw when participants become heated, nasty or sweary and tune in tomorrow 'in hope'. Yes.......so far SO good.

Lewlew Mon 30-Jan-17 10:42:46

rubylady

LED bowl lights... are amazing. Thank you for reminding me. Our 19 mos DGD now walks into the loo to see the light come on. Fingers crossed she is getting interested in using it!

And my BIL who has prostate trouble loves it. He goes many times a night and now does not have to turn on the light, over-waking himself.

Thank you! And this company gave fast delivery and follow-up and other promotions.

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MYMXOYY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=gransnetforum-21

moobox Mon 30-Jan-17 10:44:07

I have never got on with boots until I discovered my lovely flat black Hotter ones this year - so easy get on, comfortable, and don't look like surgical boots.

Scooter58 Mon 30-Jan-17 10:45:17

My Soup Maker,great purchase ?

Maggiemaybe Mon 30-Jan-17 10:52:55

I remember waxing lyrical on the soup maker thread about how great mine was. Of course it died on me shortly afterwards sad

I've now been moved to order another one. Advertisers would do well to make more use of Gransnet!

Marydoll Mon 30-Jan-17 10:57:51

Maggiemaybe, I have been lusting after these boots as well, but I have been a very bad girl this month. I have already bought three pairs of boots in the sale.
I wonder how many Gransnetters have gone out to try M&S jeggings after yesterday's thread on wearing jeans..

Kim19 Mon 30-Jan-17 11:36:21

Thanks for the Robert Dyas price tip, HannahLoisLuke, I'm on the case right now. This is NOT what I planned to be doing this morning. Hey-ho. Also, for tired and stiff knees please consider Boots own max strength ibuprofen 10 per cent 40g Usually £5.99 and currently on offer 2 for £8. A wee rub in the morning works wonders for me all day.

Perdita33 Mon 30-Jan-17 11:44:55

I'm doing a Future Learn on-line course, which I heard about in Gransnet

Misha14 Mon 30-Jan-17 11:57:33

Anyone recommend a carpet shampooer that really works? My hall carpet is in need of a clean but I'm wary of using my old steamer in the winter as the house would be full of steam.
If not a machine then any other hints would be helpful. DH refuses to have laminate which would probably solve the problem.

Anya Mon 30-Jan-17 12:20:28

There are alternatives to laminate Misha get him to look at this website on Karndean floors unless it's just that he prefers carpets.

Never found a carpet shampoo that really works, but I'm probably expecting too much.

annodomini Mon 30-Jan-17 12:28:27

I have,as I predicted up-thread, just bought a Kärcher window vac on line and it will come tomorrow.Can't wait. I am so sick of trying to look through my kitchen window! blush

annodomini Mon 30-Jan-17 12:31:42

Can'tt - should read, Can't wait