Gransnet forums

House and home

My washing is dirtier than when it went in??

(35 Posts)
Solitaire Mon 30-Jan-17 13:21:34

Washing grandson's rugby socks in a sports wash today. They are meant to be white and have come out dark grey! I wash them twice a week and it's never happened before. GILLYBOB I read that you're an expert on washing grin please help!!

tanith Mon 30-Jan-17 15:28:59

You didn't wash them at too high a temperature by mistake?

f77ms Mon 30-Jan-17 15:37:38

I don`t think they are salvageable Solitaire . As the Mum of 4 sons I am an expert on socks grin Maybe someone will prove me wrong but I cannot imagine how you will ever get them white again unless the red bands turn pink as a result x

Ana Mon 30-Jan-17 15:41:27

You could just dip the feet in a bleach mixture overnight - although some would inevitably leach into the first red band...

Jalima Mon 30-Jan-17 15:58:15

They're rugby socks - he'll be playing in another muddy match soon! Don't worry about them, unless they've shrunk smile

I used to find a bar of Fairy washing soap was good for rubbing the dirtiest parts before they went into the machine. Otherwise Vanish spray or solid stick?

When you have the whole team's kit to wash you don't worry about a pair of socks that don't come out looking as if someone's mother doesn't use P***

Jalima Mon 30-Jan-17 15:58:50

That P*** is not what it looks like, it is meant to be a brand of washing powder blush

Greyduster Mon 30-Jan-17 16:27:38

It only looks like the feet that are affected. Once he has his boots on will it matter?

Ana Mon 30-Jan-17 16:28:55

Jalima, I must admit I did have a giggle at that, but knew what you meant! grin

DanniRae Mon 30-Jan-17 17:18:29

I used to wash my husband's football team's kit - all of it! And the shorts and socks were mainly white - Oh the disappointment of not being able to get it lovely and clean. I, thankfully, don't do it anymore.
Sorry, I realise this isn't much help but I wish you luck!!

Bbnan Mon 30-Jan-17 18:45:31

I seem to be washing white socks most of my life......I use biological washing powder 1 cup and half a cup of white vinegar...On rinse I use another half cup of white vinegar...Use on all my whites and they sparkle....If they get grass or mud on them I put them in a bucket of water hand hot and half a cup of bread soda overnight...You can use the bread soda in washing machine if you don't have vinegar to hand.

Solitaire Tue 31-Jan-17 00:01:37

Thank you for all of the support. It's also affected the white flashes on the kit. I think you're right Tanith that the temperature was too high. I had accidentally changed the setting this time. I've tried the suggestion about soda but no luck so far...I haven't tried washing them in p* though JALIMA ??

Solitaire Tue 31-Jan-17 00:08:06

Why did predictive texting remove my * from P* ?

Solitaire Tue 31-Jan-17 00:08:45

????? It's done it again!

MinniesMum Tue 31-Jan-17 10:33:55

You can buy Liquid soapflakes for washing machines which are very good. I always use them for my husbands socks, pants and T-shirts as anything else makes him itch like fury. I also wash my white tennis gear in this liquid and it is still sparkling white although donkeys years old.

MinniesMum Tue 31-Jan-17 10:35:19

Forgot to add that it deals with grass stains nicely too - I must test it on thick mud sometimes but our football days are over thank goodness. I can still remember the smell of my son's kitbag when he had left it at school over the weekend instead of bringing it home!

Solitaire Tue 31-Jan-17 10:51:41

I think the pre soak in Napisan could be the culprit or my not usual use of Ariel and on too high a temperature...apparently affects any polyester type fabric, which is what his kit is made from.

Blinko Tue 31-Jan-17 11:04:48

Just completed a wash after three chaps from the Tough Guy challenge came back to our b&b totally covered in mud. White towels had been used to clean their trainers, by the looks of it. We thought they'd never be white again (the trainers, not the chaps). Amazingly though, once soaked for an hour or so in Vanish then set the machine on 'pre wash', then 'wash', again in Vanish, they came up snowy! Like I say, we were gobsmacked. Worth a try, I'd have thought.

Blinko Tue 31-Jan-17 11:06:17

Towels not white again, not trainers, of course. what was I thinking!

Ana Tue 31-Jan-17 11:08:10

Lots of people do wash trainers in the washing machine, Blinko!

Nona4ever Tue 31-Jan-17 11:51:18

My brother's rugby club strip was black and red. Because of laundry ravages they became known as the team who play in grey and pink!

JackyB Tue 31-Jan-17 12:36:41

I should give the washing machine a good de-gunge and a run-through with a proprietary cleaner (no washing) before you use it again. Consult the manual for how to dismount the filter for cleaning out. If it's an older model, the gasket, the rubber edging round the door, might need replacing.

Teddy123 Tue 31-Jan-17 14:09:44

I'm more curious as to why your washing grandson's kit.

You must be the Fairy Godmother ........

Ramblingrose22 Tue 31-Jan-17 14:13:20

Bbnan - is "bread soda" what I call baking soda?

Jalima Tue 31-Jan-17 14:42:03

Fairy Godmother may be buying him some new rugby socks wink

Bbnan Tue 31-Jan-17 17:52:33

Yes it is....Long ago it was used to brush teeth