Gransnet forums

House and home

british gas or corgi homecare for boiler

(38 Posts)
suey Fri 03-Feb-17 13:07:40

Has anyone any views on whether I should change from British Gas to Corgi for my boiler maintenance etc please. Corgi is half the price but I don't know if it is as good as it claims.

Charleygirl Fri 03-Feb-17 13:35:44

I get an independent fellow to service mine annually etc.So much cheaper.

ninathenana Fri 03-Feb-17 14:23:38

We use a local guy too.

Linsco56 Fri 03-Feb-17 14:53:57

We have an annual maintenance contract with British Gas which costs £25 per month. This covers the annual check of the boiler and radiators and the replacement of any faulty parts. It also covers full replacement of any radiators which can't be repaired but doesn't cover the cost of a replacement boiler.

I too will be interested to read replies from anyone who has used Corgi.

shysal Fri 03-Feb-17 15:04:53

I have no experience of Corgi, but am very pleased with British Gas. It is not always just about the cost. I would advise playing the 'Pensioner' card (if you are one) to get priority service. This is the thread I started just before Christmas 2015, which shows a few Gransnetters' views.
www.gransnet.com/forums//forums/house_and_home/1221907-In-Praise-of-British-Gas?msgid=25842509

chelseababy Fri 03-Feb-17 15:10:10

I be always been happy with British Gas.

Auntieflo Fri 03-Feb-17 15:43:01

We use the chap who installed our new boiler. He also came very quickly, when we had a leak from a pipe in the upstairs bathroom. Lovely, and can't fault him, but he is a chatterer smile

M0nica Fri 03-Feb-17 15:51:00

Corgi no longer exists and it was never a commercial company offering gas services but a form of registration that told you that the gas fitter you employed had reached an approved level of competence.

It was replaced some years ago by the Gas Safe Register and is a form of registration for approved gas fitters. All British Gas fitters are on the Gas Safe register.

If you decide to use a company other than British Gas to undertake any kind of gas related work, always check that all the fitters employed are on the Gas Safe Register. Most companies will advertise that they are registered. There are many thousands of competent gas engineering companies around who are as safe and reliable as British Gas.

I worked for British Gas for many years, but I have never had my central heating boiler serviced by them. I have always used good reliable local companies, who got to know me well, have always given me excellent service and have always been considerable cheaper than my late employer.

Greyduster Fri 03-Feb-17 16:05:46

There must be a firm called Corgi because there was a flyer for their gas services in a magazine we bought last week. I've just had a rummage in the recycling but I can't find it! They were comparing their services to British Gas. We used British gas for years but they became very unreliable regarding visits so we ditched them. DD is finding the same of late.

Lazigirl Fri 03-Feb-17 16:08:55

We have a local firm who fitted our boiler to service it once a year cost about £98. My 92 year old mum won't change from her British Gas service contract as they prioritise her if she has any problems, and always attend promptly. Probably worth it for peace of mind but can't help feeling she's being ripped off.

Charleygirl Fri 03-Feb-17 16:17:05

Greyduster I received that blurb today. Corgi were charging £19 a month and that was apparently a good offer- a rip off in my opinion. A local man is so much better and cheaper.

Lazigirl I would collapse if I was asked to pay that amount. I think I was charged around £45.

Lazigirl Fri 03-Feb-17 16:19:39

I thought that was about the standard rate?

Pittcity Fri 03-Feb-17 16:27:51

Even £98 a year is cheaper than £25 a month.
We pay a local plumber and pay around £50 for boiler service. He has always been able to sort out problems quickly at a reasonable price and we have certainly never spent £300 a year

J52 Fri 03-Feb-17 16:44:47

We have always used British Gas, they cover our electrics and drains as well. In the past they've replaced radiators, pumps and hot water tank, all covered by the annual charge and you know the jobs done properly.
Recently, we had a drain blockage they sent Dynorod and the job was done in 15 mins. However, if it had been more complicated they would have still covered the cost.

M0nica Fri 03-Feb-17 16:45:48

A company must have decided to take on that name now the CORGI registration scheme is long dead, so that they can trade on the fact that most people are unaware that it has been replaced by the Gas Safe Register and still think the CORGI name is a guarantee of a properly trained and approved gas fitter.

I wouldn't touch a company like that with a barge pole and would be inclined to report it to Trading Standards, in case it is trading under false pretences.

petra Fri 03-Feb-17 17:04:10

Linsco56 Can I ask how long BG have been conning, sorry, charging you £25 a month. You can have a lot of call outs for this money. Would you say that it's worth it.
Everyone knows these contracts a a con, it's based on the fear factor.

Lazigirl Fri 03-Feb-17 17:11:47

You didn't say how much you pay for all that J52?

M0nica Fri 03-Feb-17 17:35:29

How often do boilers break down? I think I have made only a couple of call outs in about 40 years.

The one I remember is the boiler breaking down the morning of my MiL's funeral. It was January, with a temperature well below zero.
I rang my CH service company at 7.30am, there was someone at the house by 8.00am and the pump had been replaced by 8.30. I doubt British Gas could meet that.

To be fair to British Gas, their contract does include the cost of spares and repairs and despite the extra cost is ideal for someone who would have difficulty meeting an unexpected expensive gas repair bill. What was always known as the 'peace of mind' factor. However, if you can afford to pay any unexpected repair bills, you are much better off with a contractor, who calls you every year to arrange an annual service and just charges you as he goes for any work done. It is a lot cheaper.

Linsco56 Fri 03-Feb-17 18:29:26

petra We had a new boiler and central heating system installed by BG 9 years ago. If my memory is correct, the first 2 years were covered without charge, so we have been paying for 7 years. Initially, the monthly charge was £17 but has crept up to £25.

Is it worth it? Hmmm.....it gives me peace of mind but I think it's probably time to look around for a better deal.

I would be interested to hear from J52 as we have separate cover with Homeserve for any drains blockages within our property and driveway and that costs an additional £12 per month.

Linsco56 Fri 03-Feb-17 18:41:37

Oh! and we need to be able to pay monthly by direct debit to meet the requirements of Sandander accounts.

Eloethan Fri 03-Feb-17 18:57:51

I've seen the Corgi flyer and, on the surface at least, it looks a much better deal than British Gas. But we have neither so I can't really say any more than that.

M0nica Fri 03-Feb-17 20:44:53

Generally I prefer to use a local company, they have more to lose if I am not satisfied with their work.

Ana Fri 03-Feb-17 20:50:11

I googled Corgi and it says the firm's been established for 40 years. However, nowhere does it say their engineers are on the Gas Safe Register, so I'd be wary.

Ana Fri 03-Feb-17 21:05:53

Correction! Just checked back and the website actually says

For over 40 years the CORGI name has been associated with safety and reliability.

So it's not saying the firm's been established for 40 years, sorry! Sounds as though they're playing on the association in people's minds.

J52 Fri 03-Feb-17 21:48:56

DH has just informed me that we pay £16 per month, now as we have opted for a £60 excess on call outs.
This seems ok as we rarely call them out, apart from the drain a few months ago. as others have said, we are paying for peace of mind.