Gransnet forums

House and home

Making tea in my bedroom

(65 Posts)
anneey Tue 07-Feb-17 20:43:49

I have just bought a travel kettle, with the intention of making tea in my bedroom....... My problem is that I dont have mains water upstairs. Is it unhealthy to use water from the tank and boil well?
I don't relish the thought of carrying fresh water upstairs every night. Especially as I might not want tea. Depends on my mood?
Any ideas Please?

kathryn489 Wed 08-Feb-17 10:25:26

What about the milk?

Esspee Wed 08-Feb-17 10:31:48

If the water is going to be boiled then it will be fine.

wot Wed 08-Feb-17 11:14:14

Sleep downstairs? ?

Katek Wed 08-Feb-17 11:18:48

We have one of these. Only need to take through a full size mug of water/teabag and a little milk in one cup. Hit the button in the morning and voila, enough tea to get the voice working!

Diddy1 Wed 08-Feb-17 12:20:32

We were always taught (in the 1940,s!) never to drink water from the tap, which came from the tank, I still dont, although the water comes from the mains. I think Nain9bach had a good idea, take the hot water in a thermos flask, it will be good to use in the morning, enjoy your "cuppa"

Vonnie123 Wed 08-Feb-17 13:26:13

Agree with Notnecessarilyeiser, I type up reports for Legionella Risk Assessments for a friend and, on all the drawings, where there is a cold water tank in the property, the cold feed to the bathroom comes from there unlike the kitchen which comes from the mains. If you have a combi boiler, the water in the bathroom will be safe go drink.

anneey Wed 08-Feb-17 13:43:27

Thank you posters, I loved reading your replies.....So what I have done is.....Filled the small travel kettle with water from the Kitchen, dried milk in a plastic pot with lid, tea bags and biscuits..... my current favourites, dark chocolate digestives and rich tea.
When I make my brew, I will be thinking of you all. (cheers)

lizzypopbottle Wed 08-Feb-17 13:52:25

When we had our bathroom done about 15 years ago, the guy who did it said he would make sure the cold water was from the mains because (he said) everyone drinks water from the bathroom tap and it's not advisable to do that if it's drawn from the header tank. I live in a bungalow so morning tea making stuff is only about half a dozen steps from the bedroom and three steps beyond the bathroom.

LJP1 Wed 08-Feb-17 14:02:12

The only upstairs water from a cold tap that is not from your rising main is for the loo - unless you have an illegal system put in by a cowboy / amateur plumber.

Boiled water should be safe anyway. If it tastes funny call your water board.

anneey Wed 08-Feb-17 14:30:31

LJP1 thanks for the info. Next time I have a plumber, I will ask his advice......I am sure the tap water in my bathroom is from the tank in my loft.
It would be inconvenient if we couldn't even clean our teeth with it.

blueskies Wed 08-Feb-17 14:48:11

My tap water ( downstairs ) often tastes of chemicals - not bleachy. I had the water tested by my water company and was told it is safe but sometimes the water from the dishwasher will blow back into the drinking water. They recommended that a particular attachment be fitted. A plumber duly fitted it but it still tastes funny on and off. Bit worrying.

Marydoll Wed 08-Feb-17 14:58:38

When we were changing to a combo boiler 10 years ago, we were told that the water from the bathroom tap was not safe to drink. We had the tank removed and all our water is now fed from mains. Much safer. I remember when I was young, I was running a bath and bits of feathers came through the tap and then the water stopped running. It turned out there was a dead bird in the storage tank in the loft! YUK!

Lewlew Wed 08-Feb-17 15:40:19

Yuck, that is really weird about tap water coming from a holding tank. We have only ever had a combi.

If you don't want to buy bottled water or put plain tap water from kitchen in a container, get one of those inexpensive water filter jugs from Wilko. Cheaper than a Britta. We have one on the counter and one in the fridge. Does the job very nicely and no residue in the glasses any more from hard water, or in the coffee machine innards either.

Tessa101 Wed 08-Feb-17 15:58:15

I'm with suzied on this one.

jacq10 Wed 08-Feb-17 20:16:28

Although boiled water is obviously safe I would be using a flask but would keep my eyes open in charity shops and at car boots for a Teasmade. They can be picked up very cheaply and do the trick nicely!!

GrandmaMoira Wed 08-Feb-17 20:26:02

I've had a kettle in my bedroom for morning tea for a long time. I always use the bathroom tap water as I know it's from the mains. I have a small fridge so keep the milk in there. This started when my husband was ill and needed a "bedsit" set up in his sick room and after he died I found it convenient. It saved me time getting ready for work and now I'm retired I enjoy a cuppa in bed. I wouldn't advise a travel kettle though as they are very slow to boil.

thatbags Wed 08-Feb-17 20:26:24

suzied, I like your suggestion smile. It's what I do except it's flapjacks (2) instead of toast.

amt101 Wed 08-Feb-17 21:36:48

I have a four story house so have a tray with a kettle and packets of coffee and milk. I fill the kettle from my bathroom tap and never have any problem - I think the rats and pigeons add flavour to the coffee?

hulahoop Wed 08-Feb-17 21:41:17

I drink water from upstairs because it comes direct from main water so is same as downstairs old water. The only water what comes from tank in loft is hot which for obvious reasons I wouldn't drink ?

NanKate Wed 08-Feb-17 21:52:23

I love early morning when all is quiet. I creep downstairs at 6.30 to make myself a cuppa and put it in a thermal style mug which keeps it warm. I top up the hot water bottle and snuggle down in bed with my radio and headphones, IPad and book. DH usually wakes at 7.30 to 8.00 and I have had about an hour and a half of peace and quiet - BLISS brew

sarahellenwhitney Wed 08-Feb-17 22:34:17

aneey.Is it not possible to still buy a 'teasmade'that you can keep in your bedroom .?
For me,one of the delights in my life would be a first thing in the morning cup of tea without having to get out of bed to boil a kettle.
That or having a partner bring you a freshly made cuppa while you are nice and snug in bed.?
Well I can dream can't I?

allule Wed 08-Feb-17 23:26:07

Try turning off the stopcock, then turning on the upstairs tap. If it still runs, the water must come from a tank; if it stops immediately it will be direct from the main and fine to use.

grannypiper Thu 09-Feb-17 06:15:36

Cold water in the bathroom comes from a header tank in the loft and is not fresh, the tank is not completely sealed in most cases therefore will contain dust, dirt etc It is fine for brushng your teeth but not drinking. You wouldnt use water that had been sat in your kettle for days on end so why use stale water from the bathroom ? tea needs fresh water

f77ms Thu 09-Feb-17 06:55:40

This is new to me ! why can`t you use the water from the upstairs tap ? I really have never heard that this is not safe to do ,and anyway surely if it is boiled it is OK ?

f77ms Thu 09-Feb-17 06:59:40

Sarah there is always the problem of forgetting to take milk up the night before or the milk tasting `off` when you have remembered .