Gransnet forums

House and home

Making tea in my bedroom

(65 Posts)
anneey Tue 07-Feb-17 20:43:49

I have just bought a travel kettle, with the intention of making tea in my bedroom....... My problem is that I dont have mains water upstairs. Is it unhealthy to use water from the tank and boil well?
I don't relish the thought of carrying fresh water upstairs every night. Especially as I might not want tea. Depends on my mood?
Any ideas Please?

allule Thu 09-Feb-17 07:43:37

I used to make tea in the bedroom, and wondered why I had stopped, as it worked well. I realise it was because we got two cats. I have to go downstairs to see to them, and I make our tea at the same time. Then we all go back to bed.

Craftycat Thu 09-Feb-17 08:16:00

We have a teasmade.Love my 2 cups of tea before I get up. However I once forgot to fill pot before I came upstairs at night & used water from bathroom. Tea was undrinkable- really nasty . I really don't advise using it.

Riverwalk Thu 09-Feb-17 08:49:25

Am I the only person who doesn't eat and drink in bed? shock

Alima Thu 09-Feb-17 09:32:27

Riverwalk, no you are not alone. When I wake up in the morning my first thought is bathroom. Then to stagger downstairs to make coffee. I am in awe of those of you who can wake then enjoy a cup of tea before anything else. (Not envious though. Hate tea.)

MyTeaMo Thu 09-Feb-17 09:50:00

Need boiling water to make tea, not just hot.

anneey Thu 09-Feb-17 10:31:09

Riverwalk, I would have agreed with you a couple of years ago.
Now I am older and frail.......It is such a comfort to make tea in my bedroom. Especially if I am awake in the night and the heating is off. (I have a seperate heater in my bedroom) Maybe when the good weather finally arrives I will feel differently. I have to admit it is a FAFF.

grandMattie Thu 09-Feb-17 12:47:32

DH _loathes+ me drinking anything in bed. As I wake up long/hours before him, i am usually to be found downstairs with my cuppa.... so river you are not alone!

grandMattie Thu 09-Feb-17 12:47:51

or reading, if he's asleep for that matter...

M0nica Thu 09-Feb-17 12:48:41

I like a hot drink before I go to bed, rather than wen I wake. I just make the drink in the kitchen and carry it upstairs.

Jalima Thu 09-Feb-17 13:06:07

There used to be random stories about dead animals in water tanks and such.
That happened with friends of ours in a house they rented; they were very ill then discovered a dead bird in the water tank in the attic.

anneey Fri 17-Feb-17 17:51:00

Solved my water problem. Sainsbury's 2ltr mineral water is only 20p. I ordered 2 with my online grocery order. That should do the trick.

suzied Fri 17-Feb-17 17:56:25

A friend of mine was saying they have a nesspresso coffee machine that they can work from their phone , so they can tell it to make a coffee while they are in bed and then go down and get it when it's ready.

rosesarered Fri 17-Feb-17 21:04:10

When we bought our present house we had all the central heating changed and boiler, changed to a combi boiler ( water comes from mains.) I won't tell you what was in the old water tank in the loft ugh! So, please don't drink from your bathroom tap!

Willow500 Sat 18-Feb-17 19:53:55

I'm another who never drinks in bed other than sips from a bottle of water during the night. I'm always up around 5am anyway. When we had the kitchen done before Christmas I brought the coffee maker, the kettle, food and cat food into the living room so that I would be able to carry on as near normal grin My mum had a teas maid in her bedroom - as they lived in a bungalow I never understood the reason!